It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexplained ocean sounds and more spooky science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Source

1. The Bloop
The decidedly nonspooky nickname for this sound does little to dispel the mystery surrounding it. In 1997, NOAA hydrophones picked up one of the loudest sounds ever recorded off the southern coast of South America: the Bloop (which sounds like, well, a bloop), was recorded by two hydrophones nearly 3,000 miles (4,800 kilometers) apart.

The Bloop mimics marine animal sounds in some ways, but its volume is too great to be made by any sea creatures known to science. If your imagination is running away from you, you're not alone: Plenty of listeners have jokingly linked the Bloop to Cthulhu, a fictional part-octopus monster created by sci-fi writer H.P. Lovecraft in 1928. [Our 10 Favorite Monsters]

Deep-sea monsters aside, NOAA holds the most likely explanation for The Bloop is that it was the sound of a large iceberg fracturing. These "icequakes" have been recorded in the Scotia Sea and sound very similar to the mystery 1997 Bloop. If a cracking iceberg were the source, according to NOAA, it would have likely been floating between the Bransfield Strait and the Ross Sea of Antarctica, or perhaps at Cape Adare in East Antarctica.

2. Julia
This weird noise, which sounds almost like someone cooing or whining, occurred on March 1, 1999. The eastern equatorial Pacific autonomous array (a network of hydrophones) picked up this strange sound.

Like the Bloop, Julia is most likely the sound of ice. In this case, NOAA researchers suspect the hydrophones picked up the sound of a large Antarctic iceberg running into the seafloor.

3. Upsweep
This sound is like the scratch of branches against your bedroom window, in that it happens again … and again … and again. To the ears, Upsweep sounds like an ambulance wail or perhaps an unearthly creature's howl. It's been picked up by hydrophones seasonally since 1991, peaking in the spring and fall. The source of the sound appears to be an area of undersea volcanic activity, but scientists have yet to pin down exactly what's causing it.

4. Slow Down
Slow Down, a noise recorded on May 19, 1997, gets its name because it descends in frequency over seven minutes. NOAA scientists have located the source of the sound off the Antarctic Peninsula, leading them to suspect that Slow Down is the result of a drifting iceberg hitting the seafloor and screeching to a ponderous stop. The sound was detected by sensors nearly 3,100 miles (5,000 km) apart.

5. Train
Train sounds like you might expect a noise named train to sound — like the rub of train wheels against tracks. Recorded in 1997, Train is a steady hum that likely originated in Antarctica's Ross Sea. The suspected culprit? An iceberg dragging its keel along the ocean floor.

6. Whistle
Whistle sounds more like a kettle of boiling water than a jaunty tune, but that doesn't make the sound any less mysterious. Recorded in July 1997, Whistle was only picked up by a single hydrophone, making it impossible to pinpoint its source. However, according to NOAA, similar sounds have been recorded coming from erupting submarine volcanoes. It's possible that Whistle, unlike Julie, Slow Down or other mysterious sea noises, may have been caused by fire, not ice — though we won't blame you if you want to imagine it was Cthulhu after all.

Well, After listening to all of these I had to share them with all of you.

This is a conspiracy site and these are quite interesting noises. I am sure most of you have heard of "the Bloop", but how many have heard of the other ones?

I thought other than the bloop. the cooing one was the neatest.

Is it so bad that after hearing noises like this people like to think there are creatures living in the ocean that make noises like this? I think not seeing the majority of our oceans have not been explored. Maybe we will one day find an animal that make noises similar to these...

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Slow Down

very cool. You're right. I've only ever heard the bloop before.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I was about to post about how the bloop is obviously Cthulhu, but it seems you did that for me

Anyways, ocean sounds always are interesting things, but the Ocean is so vast, and such a large amount is unexplored, there is no doubt that there are still many many species undiscovered that surface and are occasionally tagged as "Sea Monsters" these sea monsters just hang around the deep unexplored parts. That is most likely where these sounds originate from. If it were something serious, these videos would have been taken down, instead, its quite the opposite, I remember hearing the Bloop years ago.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I realize it is logical to assume that any noises heard in the vicinity of Antarctica must be ice related but... The slow down? It just sounds so strange, not what I would expect it to sound like given their explanation. I had only ever heard the bloop before this.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Nightmares incoming....

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The vastness and the tremendous amount of Unknowns of our Oceans unsettles me sometimes

Sure we reach for the stars, but we have a unexplored frontier all around us and who knows what dwells within its depths.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
wow. really fascinating and CREEPY. thanks for posting.... i had no clue about these loud ocean sounds.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Bloop just sounds like a big bubble. Maybe methane? The ocean is noisy. I don't know why any sounds would come across as all that unusual, but I admit I don't know anything about what researchers normally expect to hear on their recordings. They could be anything...whale flatulence even.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
Bloop just sounds like a big bubble. Maybe methane? The ocean is noisy. I don't know why any sounds would come across as all that unusual, but I admit I don't know anything about what researchers normally expect to hear on their recordings. They could be anything...whale flatulence even.

Whale farts hitting 190 dB? That would be crazy!

Checks out the decibel chart to see how high 190 is. Its maddening how loud some of these noises are.

They attribute the sounds to normal sounds that they haven't heard before...

Pred...

top topics

join