It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Space Elevator

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Every major temple complex such as the Mayan temples, the Moai stones and even the Great Pyramid in Egypt are on a loop around the earth, just like a ring of lattitude that is offset at an angle.

Even the impact crater that killed the dinosaurs is on it.

And they are generally equally spaced along it.

Could this have been the trajectory orbit of an ancient space elevator that orbited the Earth?

If one considers, it would be dangerous to have only one cable to carry am elevator car, so one might expect two...having said that, over the long miles it would need to cross, it would need to have links regularly to prevent the two cables colliding and wearing - resulting in what would look like a giant ladder to the Heavens. COuld this be the ladder that Jacob saw? COuld this be why the Ancient Greek and Romans believed that sky was held up be Atlas on the mountains named after him on North Africa, because this was an achor point for when it was being lowered?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by georgemoseleylander

they would need a metal that is elastic but maintains strength since that from where ever in space they are aiming for (guessing the moon) would constantly change distances due to different gravitational pulls
edit on 27-10-2012 by WanderingThe3rd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

hmm, that could explain the rapid disappearance of the Mayans, vury inturustun

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I think the ancients had quite a firm grasp of antigravity, so why would they need an space elevator?

When we finally rediscover the ancient art of electrogravitic/electrostatic levitation we will also have no need for such a scheme unless we use the tether to generate power, just think of all those limitless(For all intents and purposes) Amp's
edit on 27-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

This might have been possible back when the Earth was 1/3 its size and the magnetic field was 2000% stronger than it is now but under our current physics its not.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth

This might have been possible back when the Earth was 1/3 its size and the magnetic field was 2000% stronger than it is now but under our current physics its not.

Not yet, but it will come. Also dont anti gravity devices supposedly generate there own magnetic field?
edit on 27-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by doesntmakesense

My step daughter is dating a Mayan. I'll have to confront him and demand to know why he has not disappeared!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by doesntmakesense

My step daughter is dating a Mayan. I'll have to confront him and demand to know why he has not disappeared!

Man you've given away the secret!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Aw man...does that mean I'm gonna have to 'disappear' him? Can it wait til after Christmas?
edit on 27-10-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
It is my understanding that for a space elevator to work correctly, it has to have a solid anchor point on the earth. Just like if you swing a rope with a weight, then let go it will fly away, so would the elevator, as it has to have outward momentum to hold its altitude in rder to maintain its orbit while "lifting" a payload.

It would defeat the entire purpose of an elevator if it required constant burns to of an engine to remain in orbit.

Also, a elevvvator to the moon is not really likely, as if it wasn't anchored on earth somewhere how would you attach and "lift" a pay load?

It would take hours to reatach it at a new position, by that time you would need to release it so it didn't break as the moon orbited, this would also negate the entire purpose,

Making an elevator from a floating platform on the ocean, then another from orbit to the moon would be a much more likely proposition.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by georgemoseleylander
Every major temple complex such as the Mayan temples, the Moai stones and even the Great Pyramid in Egypt are on a loop around the earth, just like a ring of lattitude that is offset at an angle.

Could this have been the trajectory orbit of an ancient space elevator that orbited the Earth?

If one considers, it would be dangerous to have only one cable to carry am elevator car, so one might expect two...having said that, over the long miles it would need to cross, it would need to have links regularly to prevent the two cables colliding and wearing - resulting in what would look like a giant ladder to the Heavens. COuld this be the ladder that Jacob saw? COuld this be why the Ancient Greek and Romans believed that sky was held up be Atlas on the mountains named after him on North Africa, because this was an achor point for when it was being lowered?

Can you back this up with any supporting information? As it stands this is just an opinion and not really open for discussion?...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Aw man...does that mean I'm gonna have to 'disappear' him? Can it wait til after Christmas?
edit on 27-10-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

No. It has to be before December 21st.

Have the gift exchange early. Like on Black Friday or something.

ETA: Did Hanslune just use a Rage Comic? Very cool. Even cooler if he knows what Rage Comics are.
edit on 27-10-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

No. The anchor for a space elevator must lie on the equator.

over the long miles it would need to cross
The ribbons cannot cross.

it would need to have links regularly to prevent the two cables colliding and wearing
The ribbons cannot collide.

edit on 10/27/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
ETA: Did Hanslune just use a Rage Comic? Very cool. Even cooler if he knows what Rage Comics are.

Can't be...everybody knows us ATS Buzzkills are boring old farts with zero concept of Hip.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

I have been reincarnated several times before. This would explain my fear of elevators.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by georgemoseleylander

I cannot follow your logic to conclude from the locations of ancient cultures to a space elevator, I really can't?!

Why ancient high-cultures are usually found "around a loop" (likely near the equator) could be explained that the climate in those zones was more fitting for ancient cultures to develop - as opposed to, say, northern Europe etc. where they were busy not to freeze their a$$es off in winter. It makes sense that old, relatively high developed cultures were all in warmer climates.
edit on 28-10-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd

they would need a metal that is elastic but maintains strength since that from where ever in space they are aiming for (guessing the moon)

...No, not at all. It would only need to be above Earth's atmosphere, about 60 miles up.
edit on 10/29/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
I think the ancients had quite a firm grasp of antigravity, so why would they need an space elevator?

...So, because some guy (you) thousands of years in the future is nutty enough to think that they knew about anti-gravity, that means whether or not they did, they would have no need of it? That is utterly crackpot.

Incidentally, I deeply do not think that the Mayans knew about antigravity.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth

I see not logic grounds nor evidence for this ludicrous statement whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
It is my understanding that for a space elevator to work correctly, it has to have a solid anchor point on the earth.

...Such as a several tens of thousands of ton solid stone pyramid.

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

It would defeat the entire purpose of an elevator if it required constant burns to of an engine to remain in orbit.

If it were above the atmosphere, it would not need to have propulsion just to stay in orbit, It's orbit, however, would decay unless it were anchored out in space to a point beyond the geostationary point, or unless, it accepted temporary decay of orbit, until the elevator reached the station and then used lightweight propulsion to regain orbit.

Also, a elevvvator to the moon is not really likely,

I fully agreed and fial to understand why you would brnig up such a ludicrous idea.

It would take hours to reatach it at a new position,

Not at all as it could be rapidily extended and then attached to a stone pyramid.

by that time you would need to release it so it didn't break as the moon orbited, this would also negate the entire purpose,

Why would it break if the moon orbited? There would be a 200,000 miles gap between the Moon and elevator.

Making an elevator from a floating platform on the ocean, then another from orbit to the moon would be a much more likely proposition.

Completely insane bunk. Why attach ANYTHING to the Moon? This makes no sense at all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join