It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

600 killed in Libyan city of Bani Walid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Their crime? Being born into a tribe that supported Qaddafis tribe
Why didnt they surrender? If we could see what these animals are doing to their wives& kids right now, you would know
Why didnt we stop it? Apathy, Ignorance & Ineptness

rt.com...

"Amid conflicting reports that the Libyan city of Bani Walid was captured by army forces, RT has learned that 600 people were allegedly killed in Wednesday’s fighting, and over 1,000 have been hospitalized. Locals are appealing for international aid"

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

I find it interesting that the only news source running this story is RT, that stands for Russian Times.

Perhaps if the rest of the world was informed of the situation...something might be done about it.

Why only one news source dated from October 25th?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

RT just had a live report minutes ago. It's Shameful I know but entirely expected.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Once Ghadaffi was dead and the "rebellion" considered a success, the US and Europe dont care what goes on in Libya and the press wont touch it.
The US knows they screwed up in supporting these terrorists and they are doing everything they can to distance themselves from it.
At least until after the election

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I thought war in Libya had already stopped Now why are they killing so many people !

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Once Ghadaffi was dead and the "rebellion" considered a success, the US and Europe dont care what goes on in Libya and the press wont touch it.
The US knows they screwed up in supporting these terrorists and they are doing everything they can to distance themselves from it.
At least until after the election

I think you are on to something here, because the latest article I could find on deaths there dated October 24th mentioned that at least 20 were killed, which is nowhere 600.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMarine

I thought war in Libya had already stopped Now why are they killing so many people !

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralMishka

It was & IS a tribal conflict. It was a war AND STILL IS a war to kill members of another group of tribes, not a war to gain liberty from a despot. The booty wasnt liberty, it was the lives and possessions of their tribal enemies.

To answer your original question then, why do we need to get involved? Let the tribes handle it!

If they want to kill each other, then let them have at it!

I am sick and tired of other countries being involved in local business.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

It was & IS a tribal conflict. It was a war AND STILL IS a war to kill members of another group of tribes, not a war to gain liberty from a despot. The booty wasnt liberty, it was the lives and possessions of their tribal enemies.

To answer your original question then, why do we need to get involved? Let the tribes handle it!

If they want to kill each other, then let them have at it!

I am sick and tired of other countries being involved in local business.

If you feel NATOs involvement to allow & facilitate this to occur is not an obligation to try to prevent genocide, then turn away and watch American Idol

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I watched the video and she said the fighting had been going on for about two weeks. I don't know how they came up with 600 dead in one day.

I think the whole thing is sad and the rumors of using chemical warfare is extremely concerning.

I'm going to bet somebody saw a list of names or released a list of names and then somebody else said, "oh my god, (allah), there must be 600 names on that list!" A third person heard what the second person said and then told a fourth person that 600 people were killed in a single day.

That I think is closer to the truth.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

If you feel NATOs involvement to allow & facilitate this to occur is not an obligation to try to prevent genocide, then turn away and watch American Idol

I don't watch American Idol. And no, I don't think NATO should be involved either.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Is this actually on going? Or is this the old RT trick of recycling old news clips to make a new story?

Not debunking, simply after clarification. I know many things happened at Bani Walid whilst the revolution was occuring but i don't have any info on anything there at the moment apart from this RT story. Unfortunately, no longer have any lads working in Libya to check this out for me!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Um no, this stuff is happening. Take 5 seconds and do a search in google. Is Reuters a reliable enough source for you?

Reuters

Capture of Libyan town smacks of revenge, not reconciliation

(Reuters) - Hours after taking control of Bani Walid, a former stronghold of Muammar Gaddafi, Libyan militias from the rival city of Misrata fired ferociously at its empty public buildings. Fighters yelling "Allahu akbar (God is greatest) and "Today Bani Walid is finished" sought to make their mark with gunfire and rocket-propelled grenades on a town they say still provides a refuge to many of the overthrown Libyan leader's followers

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Is this actually on going? Or is this the old RT trick of recycling old news clips to make a new story?

I questioned this myself after looking at the site. It seems like a real rag, sensationalism at it's best. All I can say is that before I will ever present an idea on ATS that comes from a news source that it will be my priority to find others to back up a claim.

Why is this apparently trash, sensationalistic rag the only one reporting this?

If this site is an only news source for some people, I feel really sorry for them buying into this.

edit on 26-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

reply to post by Flavian

Um no, this stuff is happening. Take 5 seconds and do a search in google. Is Reuters a reliable enough source for you?

I did a search and saw your link. Nowhere did it mention 600 people killed, and if it had, you would have posted that, right?

Sorry, war is brutal, and while we will never know the true numbers, how do we go from one source saying over 20 killed to 600?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

He just asked if fighting was still going on and I posted a link showing that yes it was.
I didnt say anything about 600 being killed in a day, personally I dont believe its anywhere near
that number.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Sissel

He just asked if fighting was still going on and I posted a link showing that yes it was.
I didnt say anything about 600 being killed in a day, personally I dont believe its anywhere near
that number.

Okay, agreed then. To see the fighting is still going on is obvious though. It will be going on for a long time to come!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
i never heard this news in MSM . Thanks OP posting this news

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Thanks for the Reuters link.

I am just wary of RT. They have had some excellent journalism on RT but they are also regularly caught fabricating stories so my problem with them is that i never know where i stand!

Having worked in Libya, i have some experience over there (but would never claim to be an expert). I do know that many tribal groups have been horribly repressed for decades. In a revolution situation, the repressed groups often "get their own back". This doesn't help anything in the country in question but i guess it is kind of understandable. If you have had family members and friends disappearing for the last 40 odd years you are bound to have a bit of a chip on the old shoulder.
edit on 26-10-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Juggernog

Thanks for the Reuters link.

I am just wary of RT. They have had some excellent journalism on RT but they are also regularly caught fabricating stories so my problem with them is that i never know where i stand!

Having worked in Libya, i have some experience over there (but would never claim to be an expert). I do know that many tribal groups have been horribly repressed for decades. In a revolution situation, the repressed groups often "get their own back". This doesn't help anything in the country in question but i guess it is kind of understandable. If you have had family members and friends disappearing for the last 40 odd years you are bound to have a bit of a chip on the old shoulder.
edit on 26-10-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

"If you have had family members and friends disappearing for the last 40 odd years you are bound to have a bit of a chip on the old shoulder"

That justifies many of the terror acts of the past 100 years

top topics

<<   2 >>

join