It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[[[[~Superhuman Reality - Predicting the Future~]]]]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
All External Text From Full Article - redOrbit

The Northwestern University researchers analyzed the results of 26 studies published between 1978 and 2010 to look into whether humans have the ability to predict future important events without any clues as to what might happen, said Julia Mossbridge, lead author of the study and research associate in the Visual Perception, Cognition and Neuroscience Laboratory at Northwestern.)

I am sure many people have been there. Mindlessly plugging away at a task, or daydreaming, when suddenly you feel the urge to "sit up" or "pay attention". Only to receive a physical stimulus immediately following. Was it a psychic moment, something supernatural, or do you think it can be explained by human nature?

The article explains how subjects where analyzed before and after receiving a completely random stimuli. Results showed that things like blood pressure, brain waves, and electrical measurements in the skin where noted to have significantly changed 10 to 2 seconds prior to the event.

Scientists wrote in the current edition of "Frontiers in Perception Science" that our bodies are able to anticipate the near future. The team already knew that our subconscious minds know more than our conscious minds, and physiological measures of subconscious arousal show up before conscious awareness.

I have heard that the the subconscious mind can process 40 Million bits of information per second. Much of what could account for this higher level of awareness. In the article, lead author Julia Mossbridge, calls this phenomenon anomalous anticipatory activity. She explains it as such.

"The phenomenon is anomalous, some scientists argue, because we can’t explain it using present-day understanding about how biology works; though explanations related to recent quantum biological findings could potentially make sense. It is anticipatory because it seems to predict future physiological changes in response to an important event without any known clues."

(If any ATS Member knows anything about Quantum Biology, please come and explain a little, in a way that is not too textbook because I had a hard time researching it.)

If the subconscious mind is receiving signals that our conscious self is not aware of, I wonder, if we are actually receiving signals from our brain before we actually physically react? To clarify, a little idea. If someone took a needle and pricked you on the finger would you react once the pain hit your nerves and traveled through to process in your brain? Or, would it travel from the brain prior to the pinprick to create the pain "needed" at the moment of contact.

The article ends with the following:

“She (Mossbridge) and her co-authors write. “The cause of this anticipatory activity, which undoubtedly lies within the realm of natural physical processes (as opposed to supernatural or paranormal ones), remains to be determined.”

So they seem pretty certain that whatever activity it is that they are seeing is that of a natural human process. I agree with this. The study, in my opinion, is just more proof that there is a real thin line between what we could classify as "natural" versus "supernatural". The human mind is capable of so much more than we have even realized, and we are far from even understanding why, but imagine if we could all learn to tap into this process one day.

Scientists Uncover Human Superpower – Predicting The Future

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I have experienced this.

The time that really stick in my mind was at a concert of a band that i enjoy to listen to(King of Leon). It was the middle of a set and after a song ended the lead singer was talking and while he was doing so i look over at a friend and told him the name of a song that i would love to hear them play. And to my surprise, it was the next song they played. To say the least me and my buddy had a good laugh about it.

But i also feel like during conversations i will say things at the exact same time that another individual in the conversation will say something.

Makes ya think eh?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JayDYaknow

Your story makes me wonder exactly what your subconscious self picked up on to be able to sense the exact song your band was about to play. To go off on my own theory, I think it might make sense to believe it was a noticeable enough change in the band members electromagnetic field (or aura some call it) as they mentally prepared themselves to perform a certain song with a certain intent to provoke emotion. One that, being is provoked emotion in you particularly, you where able to pick up on it easily.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
reply to post by JayDYaknow

Your story makes me wonder exactly what your subconscious self picked up on to be able to sense the exact song your band was about to play. To go off on my own theory, I think it might make sense to believe it was a noticeable enough change in the band members electromagnetic field (or aura some call it) as they mentally prepared themselves to perform a certain song with a certain intent to provoke emotion. One that, being is provoked emotion in you particularly, you where able to pick up on it easily.

Either way it was a phenomenal concert

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
said Julia Mossbridge, lead author of the study

www.abovetopsecret.com...

said Julia Mossbridge, lead author of the study

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
This lends support to my own personal hypothesis about "intuition".
There is a way that word is used by some scientific minds, to refer to a sort anticipation of events based upon past experience- like what you'd expect a ball to do when you see it on a ramp that looks to be going downwards.
This particular interpretation is often pointed to as why one should not trust intution. ("the solution is counter-intuitional...")

My experience of intuition is something totally different, and often gives me messages from my body that counter those expectations based upon experience. It is more subtle.. like the negative coming from my body in response to the image of the ball rolling downwards.

I think this is why methods of practice such as meditation aid to increase ones awareness of their intuition- simply because you learn to turn all attention inwards, and to be completely receptive to the most subtle jolts of electricity, or tiniest squirts of hormones, or change in heart rate, which tell you- something is about to happen.

In working with horses, we learn how important it is to pay attention to that. For one, the subconscious can pick up the slightest indicators of internal states of other beings and warn of danger you cannot pick up with senses yet. (if you get a feeling you should not get on that horse right now, despite it seeming fine, DON'T).
This works good for sensing con men and individuals with non-evident emotional problems.

But the even stranger signals come in sometimes concerning events that there is just no way in heck anyone else could know beforehand! Like that two miles down the road, a bird will fly out of bush in front of you, causing your horse to bolt into a giant truck. You get signals, but there is just no way you can decode those correctly because the event has no basis to start from yet. But you learn through repeated experience that it is telling you SOMETHING and you can only pay attention to the correlations when it comes up to figure out what you should or shouldn't do. (if it flashes red when you turn one direction, but not the other, for example).

This is what I usually consider when I see the threads come up about premonitions and predictions. I don't feel like making fun of the people who come up with another megaquake for next week- they may be just trying to make sense out of their intuitional messages and misreading them a bit.

One of the most common mistakes is misinterpretting the messages to be for humanity- when they are really very personal and for you directly. They might be telling you about YOUR world will be shaken (you might lose your job, you might find out the Easter Bunny doesn't really exist, your mate will announce they want to live Milwaukee...)
edit on 25-10-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

One of the most common mistakes is misinterpretting the messages to be for humanity- when they are really very personal and for you directly.

Sounnds like you have had a direct experience with this? or are you just postulating a 'what if'

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by Bluesma

One of the most common mistakes is misinterpretting the messages to be for humanity- when they are really very personal and for you directly.

Sounnds like you have had a direct experience with this? or are you just postulating a 'what if'

Yes! I have had experience with this, that is why I say it or see it as a possibility.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

once could be a coincidence. Twice a possibility. And three times a given. One experience alone is a coincidence.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
What good is 2-10 seconds in the huge scheme of things? Now if you could prove that predictions could be made years, or even months in advance, I would see how this could benefit all mankind.

Not to say that 2-10 seconds wouldn't be helpful. I myself never really believed in anything like that until recently. I was watching a program on TV and I swear I knew what was going to happen next, though I had never seen it before and it was a completely random occurrence.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I have had a weird experience before where I watched a movie (The Whole Nine Yards) for the 1st Time but I remember seeing it before, even knowing what is going to happen next. It was really weird. It was a brand new movie and I couldn't recall where I had seen it before.

Also, I have seen some experiments in a documentary (I think it was "I AM") where they show people images on a computer screen. They noted that in some instances the people could pick up what the next image was going to be, either violent or happy, sad etc. They could actually measure a spike in emotions and brain activity before each image appeared.

A good question could also be. Does this not correspond with the theory that we create our own reality??

Interestingly, in the documentary "I AM" which I highly recommend anyways, they can measure what someone in an isolated room is seeing on a computer monitor by measuring frequencies in another isolated persons heart... really strange

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

reply to post by Bluesma

once could be a coincidence. Twice a possibility. And three times a given. One experience alone is a coincidence.

Okay that sounds reasonable. If I had had only one experience, then I would be likely to consider it coincidence.

As it is, I do not know how many times it has happened. I made many announcements to friends and public, and they had varying levels of accuracy- like I had an intuition a parent would die, my mind calculated that it must be my father, so I worte him a letter to tell him everything I would want him know before he goes. As it turned out, the letter got there the day after my mother died unexpectedly. I had been mistaken about who in my interpretation.

I had intuitions about earthquakes, tsunamis and technological disasters one day, and put up a blog interpretting it as a metaphoric message about internal processes and psychology- and the next day was the big earthquake of Japan- that one I misinterpretted to be personal and symbolic when it wasn't!

Had dreams of a black horse running towards me every night for ten days, and wrote blogs on what it symbolized in terms of my spiritual awareness or mental processes..... until a black horse coincidentally became mine (for real).

But I also once wrote a long letter to a friend in a trance state, which described a coming splitting of realities, much like the Delores Cannon stuff (but way before I ever came across her or any literature like that)
and it turned out to be more descriptive of my OWN life and changes it was about to go through- not the whole world. (I was rather embarrassed of that drizzle and am glad she doesn't ever mention it now).

Anyway, I think we just can't always interpret our intuitions correctly- that doesn't mean they were worthless or wrong!

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Had dreams of a black horse running towards me every night for ten days, and wrote blogs on what it symbolized in terms of my spiritual awareness or mental processes..... until a black horse coincidentally became mine (for real).

This strikes a chord with me. I recently had dream of black horses charging towards me. i avoided them by lauching myself high into sky...and above clouds. A couple managed to follow me and were trying to reach and collide with me. So i launched myself again. This time i found myself in a world of clouds...where the actually solid ground was damp wet sponge like ground.

I realise i was lost deep inside a dream and so took a chance and launched myself to the clouds...and luckily the cloud cover borke and i could see a city with lights. If it hadnt been that but like space i thinkk id be lost in space dead.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry I missed this in the search. I always search... Thankyou for including this thread so I can read the replies on that as well.

BluesMa,

One of the most common mistakes is misinterpretting the messages to be for humanity- when they are really very personal and for you directly. They might be telling you about YOUR world will be shaken (you might lose your job, you might find out the Easter Bunny doesn't really exist, your mate will announce they want to live Milwaukee...

Thankyou, you have given great insight into the idea of intuition. And I agree that becoming more "in tune" with one's self could help someone notice these minute changes in the physiology to know that "something" is about to happen. In regards this the above statement. This is something I think is more likely than a "premonition" being for the entirety of mankind. Whatever messages the subconscious is receiving is more likely to be based on the individual. Otherwise, we would all be sensing things at every moment, because events occur on a daily basis around the world. In the study, people would have been sensing the random stimuli of each person within the study and not just their own stimuli.

Renegade2283,

What good is 2-10 seconds in the huge scheme of things? Now if you could prove that predictions could be made years, or even months in advance, I would see how this could benefit all mankind.

The amount of time prior to the stimuli isn't really an important factor here. Yes, it would be far more beneficial if our subconscious could predict events years or days prior to events, but what is most important here is the fact that it seems our minds are actually sending information back in time to us. The line between action-reaction is becoming blurred.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing
Also, I have seen some experiments in a documentary (I think it was "I AM") where they show people images on a computer screen. They noted that in some instances the people could pick up what the next image was going to be, either violent or happy, sad etc. They could actually measure a spike in emotions and brain activity before each image appeared.

It was, I AM, and that was an excellent documentary. The only problem I have with the experiment shown in that particular documentary is that the subjects are well aware they will be receiving SOME form of visual stimuli. Not something random. It is easier to place their physiological responses into the realm of anticipation. Knowing the visual stimuli is supposed to provoke certain emotional reactions may cause the subjects to display emotional reaction prior to the event but be coincidental in regards to the emotion the picture was to provoke. Make sense?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

reply to post by Bluesma

I like your response. In regards to dreams or institutional feelings that people can have. In regards to many-many test subjects physiological changes prior to random stimulus, I feel it must be more than coincidental. Something, whatever it may be, is giving humans a tiny "premonition" that they most likely react to on a conscious level without every realizing their bodies knew prior to the event. I wonder what it is that could possibly be noticed on a subconscious level. Do you think it is possible that our brains are sending information back in time to us? Curious on your opinion.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Awesome ~ Always Knew It...

The research of Dean Radin and others at IONS (Institute of Noetic Sciences) may also be of interest!

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

I totally believe this. I've always considered myself to be intuitive, and this definitely is in line with what I have always believed.

My experiences go beyond knowing something mundane. Sometimes when I am driving to and from work, suddenly for no reason I feel like I need to sit up straight, turn the radio down, change lanes, and be very, very alert. I feel the need to get out the the lane I am in. Usually when this happens, another car slightly serves into the spot I was just in. Not that it would kill me, but I could have over corrected and hit a wall or another car.

I will also feel the overwhelming urge to avoid walking in a certain direction that I am headed and take an out of the way detour. Maybe something strange might have happened had I gone the original route. I've never actually seen something odd happen where I could have been, but I always, always trust my gut. Even sometimes when you feel someone looking at you, I'll feel the need to stop and look whoever it is straight in the eye to show that I know their face now if something bad were to happen. Usually those people just send out bad vibes, so maybe it's just being receptive to that.

I think we all experience "coincidences" like songs playing, knowing what someone will say, etc. I really believe that this ability goes much, much further than just that. Maybe in our lifetimes we will see absolute scientific proof. That would be real cool.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I totally believe this. I've always considered myself to be intuitive, and this definitely is in line with what I have always believed.

It really begins to draw a parallel (at least for me) that our concept of time is incorrect. To best explain it, I guess, I feel like the physical world is manifesting to our conscious self in delay to what is manifesting on the subconscious level. As if our perception of events occurring are indeed occurring moments before we consciously become aware of the occurrence. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. I know what I am trying to say but putting it into coherent sentence structure seems to be out of my current realm of capability.

ETA: Time for coffee?? *lol*
edit on 25/10/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Good find.

This isn't surprising to those who have studied Psi. The evidence for Psi is overwhelming and this result makes sense in that context. Here's a video of Dean Radin talking about the Taboo's of Psi. Basically, these things challenge the materialist view of reality.

This isn't to say that these things are supernatural or paranormal. What this shows us is that there's an immaterial aspect to reality that manifests itself in what we call "the material world."

I think the Mind (wave function) and the brain (measuring device) works just like the double slit experiment. Reality goes from probable states to measures outcomes when we make a choice. So going to the store to grab a bag of Ruffles is just a probable state until I go to the store. Maybe I get a bag of Ruffles. Maybe they're out of Ruffles so I get a bag of white popcorn. The point is, until the event becomes a measured state it is a probable state of the wave function (mind).

This also means that the Mind can become entangled with future probable states because probable states of the wave function are not bound by time.

I remember going to the corner store and my total came to $10.76. I had change in my pocket and when I counted it, I had exactly 76 cents. So I played 1076 in the 4 digit and 176 and 076 straight and boxed in the 3 digit. The number was 716.

So the events of my total being $10.76, me having exactly 76 cents in my pocket and the future probable state of the number being 716 became entangled.

I think all of things are explained when you let go of this silly notion of materialism and therefore everything must be an emergent property of the material.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join