It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people believe in the story of Jesus but cannot even acknowledge that Aliens abduct people???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I want to make a separate point for discussion. People have been replying, saying that in order to explain alien abduction we must disregard the laws of physics. Whose laws?? Mankind's laws! Who is to say that we are even remotely correct in how the universe works. I respect all physicists who have worked to this point to get us to where we are now, but there are many theoretical models in physics that can allow for interstellar travel, we just haven't fully understood these things yet. I don't regard human evolution to this point as the pinnacle of achievement, we are still young, and interstellar (intergalactic) travel is not breaking the laws of physics but thinking outside of its current mindframe.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

edit on 24-10-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I think that is what he was saying. That it wasnt some divine impregnation. But the thread is not about aliens its about why we have beren conditioned not to berlieve in alien abduction stories because of no evidence but yet we believe in stories that have been told down the ages with no evidence. Maybe in a thousand years Travis story will be told and it will be truth!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLonewolf
People believe in Jesus because since the infancy of mankind we needed a reason for why things happen or why we exist. Jesus and Christianity are just rehashed, revised versions of Paganism which are in turn rehashed, revised versions of Ancient Egyptian mythology, and the cycle continues all the way back to the first homo-sapien to think of this idea. It's been engrained in our genetic make-up to believe in such fairy tales. The alien concept is new to the scene, relatively speaking of course. If we would of started out believing that aliens are the reason for our being instead of some supernatural deity the concept of Jesus would be mocked and ridiculed like those who believe in extraterrestrials and alien abduction are today. I find it quite amusing that Jesus freaks think the entire universe was created just for them. I've always said and will continue to say that if humans did not exist neither would God or Jesus, but the universe, the universe would still be here in all it's glory.
edit on 24-10-2012 by TheLonewolf because: (no reason given)

That reason redundant now though, people just refuse to let go.

People believe in Jesus because some guy made this religion hundreds of years ago and it survived, at first because it provided an explanation to the world and us, but now it's down to lack of education in science, parent influence, arrogance, ignorance and being gullible. We don't need stories any more, we're more advanced than that, why cling on to beliefs thought up when we knew nothing? They refuse to believe in Alien abductions because it discredits their belief system a bit I expect, although it's much more likely than the events of the Bible.

If it were the other way around and their religion was about alien abductions, they wouldn't believe in Jesus. It's just what came first (or made up first).

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

because we are being conditioned as to what to think. 911 was performed by 19 hijackers with box cutters. the buildings collapsed because of jet fuel and impact. the earth is flat (dam you got killed if you thought otherwise), the moon is made of cheese. For anyone to say the laws of physics blah blah blah is foolish. we havent even scratched the surface of our understanding of this magnificent universe

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sd211212

I think that is what he was saying. That it wasnt some divine impregnation. But the thread is not about aliens its about why we have beren conditioned not to berlieve in alien abduction stories because of no evidence but yet we believe in stories that have been told down the ages with no evidence. Maybe in a thousand years Travis story will be told and it will be truth!!!

Dear sd211212,

But, it is not what he said and we should take him at his word rather than try and rewrite history. If the purpose of this thread is to ask why people believe in things that have no evidence then it is not what you asked. You were specific to aliens; however, seem really pleased when all they do is tell you that the idea of Jesus is silly. You don't seem to care if people don't address your question as long as they make fun of Christianity.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

didnt even see that. your right what the hell does not recieving eucharist have to do with this

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

hey that was from i think a topic on pedeophile priests and how the church hid those priests correct. I have first hand eyewitness testimony if you want to hear that story. But if you want to go back and pull up posts from different topics that fine. Im noyt in a catholic bashing mood tonight. are you in a defending the pedeophile mood tonight???

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

didnt even see that. your right what the hell does not recieving eucharist have to do with this

Dear sd211212,

No, your baiting is what I was referencing. What does bible bashing have to do with aliens? I asked you, what you said were valid questions regarding aliens and then you ignored them and changed the subject. Your issue is with Christians and you attempt to downplay it. Simply start a thread that asks why people believe in Jesus, you will get plenty of answers. If you really want us to think that we should believe everything we are told just because people believe something that you do not then your logic is faulty.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

wow you are proving my point in a way. You are conditioned to attack anyone who questions your beliefs. but its ok to attack others beliefs because your beliefs are the right beliefs. TY that helps the discussion. This isnt bashing on christianity. It is discussing the conditioning as a society to what our beliefs are even if there is or isnt proof.

Wow just like a christian angry and intollerant and judgemental

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sd211212

Hey does anyone believe I was bible bashing in this topic!!!! can i get a yeah or nay .

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

hey that was from i think a topic on pedeophile priests and how the church hid those priests correct. I have first hand eyewitness testimony if you want to hear that story. But if you want to go back and pull up posts from different topics that fine. Im noyt in a catholic bashing mood tonight. are you in a defending the pedeophile mood tonight???

No, I am in a don't be a bigot tonight mood. Don't stereotype all people of any group together. As for defending pedophiles, now you are just showing your lack of ability to have a real discussion. If you made the most minimal of effort you would have found one of my recent threads.

Child Molesters and a video "Boys for Sale". Does senseless stereotyping of others and baseless, un-researched accusations generally categorize your level of discourse?

link   

I did not read all the the wall of text (OP) only the thread title and stopped on your posts since it was well formated and seemed relevant...

I took the idea of the thread title as stating why do those that are prone to have a relaxed view in factual reality not also particularly open to any other type of belief.

I was hopping to see someone defending that in fact they are more open.

I do have issues with them coming here as they would have to violate the laws of physics. What you stated is basically equivalent to me asking why people who believe in aliens have a problem with the laws of physics.

This logic does not necessary follow. There is no need to violate the laws of physics as to have "them" come here. Indeed people that believe in aliens seem more inclined to engage in other esoteric beliefs to a point that aliens are now being compared by some to gods, angels and demons or even as saviors of the human race, to me this is particularly worrying.

Note that I have bolded believe as it is not the simple acceptance of the possibility that I share but a deep conviction a faith that has no need for factual validation. A type of decreased capacity for critical thinking or compliance that is generally common in deep religious beliefs. There is no need for validating something that one believe is true and indisputable.

I'm not a Christian (also abhor organized religions), I'm a pantheist and I do not believe in aliens but I'm more open to the existence of aliens than the in the Christian trinity and other dogmas and dictates. In any case I see faith and strong belief systems as generally useful and powerful tools when not instrumentalized for evil purposes, used for hypocrite reasons or as justification for great delusions. I have meet very few real Christians (the fingers of a single hand would suffice to count them all).

link   

Why do people believe in the story of Jesus but cannot even acknowledge that Aliens abduct people?

This is a complete non sequitur. I do not see why believing in Jesus has any bearing on acknowledging Alien abductions.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

wow you are proving my point in a way. You are conditioned to attack anyone who questions your beliefs. but its ok to attack others beliefs because your beliefs are the right beliefs. TY that helps the discussion. This isnt bashing on christianity. It is discussing the conditioning as a society to what our beliefs are even if there is or isnt proof.

Wow just like a christian angry and intollerant and judgemental

Dear sd211212,

Intolerant and judgmental, pretty much sums up how you called all priests pedophiles. As for anger, your words speak for themselves as do all the posts that you have placed in the thread.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

Why do people believe in the story of Jesus but cannot even acknowledge that Aliens abduct people?

This is a complete non sequitur. I do not see why believing in Jesus has any bearing on acknowledging Alien abductions.

I think the point is why can people open their minds to such a far fetched thing as Christianity but not Alien abductions, not that they're related at all.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I was not bashing religious beliefs i was tryng to show how people have been conditioned to call others who have had real things happen to them and we as a society dismiss them.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Dear Panic2k11,

This logic does not necessary follow. There is no need to violate the laws of physics as to have "them" come here. Indeed people that believe in aliens seem more inclined to engage in other esoteric beliefs to a point that aliens are now being compared by some to gods, angels and demons or even as saviors of the human race, to me this is particularly worrying. Note that I have bolded believe as it is not the simple acceptance of the possibility that I share but a deep conviction a faith that has no need for factual validation. A type of decreased capacity for critical thinking or compliance that is generally common in deep religious beliefs. There is no need for validating something that one believe is true and indisputable. I'm not a Christian (also abhor organized religions), I'm a pantheist and I do not believe in aliens but I'm more open to the existence of aliens than the in the Christian trinity and other dogmas and dictates. In any case I see faith and strong belief systems as generally useful and powerful tools when not instrumentalized for evil purposes, used for hypocrite reasons or as justification for great delusions. I have meet very few real Christians (the fingers of a single hand would suffice to count them all).

Lets begin with this, and again I am open to the existence of aliens, atheist who are scientists say that it violates the laws of physics. Going faster than the speed of light for one; but, there are many other questions to be considered which I wrote and were not addressed by the OP other than to say they were good questions.

As for your second issue. You state that you haven't met real Christians and state that people who have spiritual beliefs have a decreased capacity for critical thinking. Whether one agrees with spiritual beliefs or not to say that people who do believe don't exercise critical thinking is weak at best. If I believe in Jesus, am I also required to believe in Bigfoot and if so must I also believe in fairies, where does it stop. To believe one thing does not require that I believe everything.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

Dear TheSparrowSings,

Sure is a good thing that we cannot make babies in test tubes without the people having to actually have sex. Oh, wait, we can and have and do. You are very behind on your science. More interestingly, why are so many people off topic and don't even make an attempt to hide it? Where is your discussion of aliens?

Um, giggle, I think you may have misunderstood me? I know we can create babies in test tubes. That is one of the modern medical techniques I was talking about. My point was that Mary was either impregnated by a human (physically) an alien/angel/demon (whatever the hell we want to call it) (physically) or through the use of modern medical techniques. (surrogate mother of a test tube baby. Egg fertilization and implantation.) Which means either Jesus was a created with the DNA of 2 humans, or a Human and Alien being close to a human type. It surely wasn't a divine conception through "spirit" as the bible would have us think.

To be honest, its the ALIEN ABDUCTION story of THAT time.
If I am to believe what Mary told people (which was then written down) She had some strange alien abduction phenomenon. She believed she was impregnated by a spirit. No matter what technique they used to get her pregnant, it still is rather "alien" to the time period. Unless she is lying. Or Jesus doesn't exist. Either way, alien abduction is more rational of an explanation for the existence of Jesus and is equally believable in modern times.

I read a few other posts of yours and see the point you are making. To address the OP's thread in general the point I am trying to make is. Where, throughout the story of Jesus, is there anything that makes his existence more believable than that of a story of alien abduction. The final point being is that belief in one is so similar to belief in the other. You can't say that one is WAY more logical and likely than the other.
edit on 24/10/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

let me just address this. All priests knew what was going on. Let me say it again. ALL PRIESTS KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON!!!! For years! FOR YEARS!. That is a fact. Now all priests are not pedophiles!! The heirachy of the catholic church hid the pedeophiles . They would move the priest into a rehab program and felt that the child would forget about the incident. That is a fact!! Everything was handled internally. Now you have taken the subject off course. Maybe ill visit your thread and continue it there.

It was the churchs policy to hide these monsters. POLICY written!!!
edit on 24-10-2012 by sd211212 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join