It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Buddy, Can you spare a job?"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
BT -

Thanks for your story. Things have been a struggle for me, like a lot of our brothers and sisters, lately.

I was acquainted with someone who knew an "intersection bum". She told me that this person bragged to her about "making" upwards of $400 on a daily basis. That is something that truly angers me. I don't know why.

My dad makes it a point to never give the people who ask for money a cash reward. If someone asks, my dad will offer to take them to get something to eat or to the store and buy some food for them.

I do understand the parable about teaching a man to fish instead of giving him fish to eat.

Several years ago, when times were better and money was more plentiful for me, I was with friends doing some December X-mas shopping. I saw a man out in the cold and stopped to give him $10,00, My friends objected to my charity under the pretense that the man would just use my money to buy drugs or alcohol. I responded that it was a gift given with no strings attached and if he thought that the alcohol or drugs would help him deal with being out in the cold at Christmas time, when I had so much, then it was fine with me.

I think that most people want to make it on their own and feel bad about asking for help/handouts. I think that and the fact that a lot of people just don't seem to care (It isn't my business, I don't have the time, I am being scammed) somehow makes the person in that position feel less than human. As I said things are a struggle lately. It isn't at that standing on a corner with a sign point, but I feel less than optimal when I have to ask for help that I cannot repay.

I think that your act of showing concern probably gave him a needed reminder that he is in fact a human being and has value. In my opinion, that is a gift worth more than a few dollars or a meal and the truest act of charity that one can give to another.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

LOL, I agree and disagree with what you wrote.

Before my professional life fell apart due to my ill health, you would not have found a harder worker. In fact, I managed a medical practice, did medical insurance billing on the side (self employed) AND sold cosmetics. I was driven to succeed because I grew up in poverty.

However, life happens. I became gravely ill before the birth of my 2nd child. I tried to work, I couldn't do it full time. I tried part time. And finally, I had to stop. My husband worked the whole time. We tried to salvage what we had both worked so hard for, but as happens to many, we had to sell our home at a loss to prevent forclosure, and moved in with relatives. 2 1/2 years of trying, and we found ourselves and our children homeless.

We did not receive government assistance and did not qualify for it due to my husbands job/income. I did draw disability pay while I was pregnant as any woman could do in California at the time. We fell thru the cracks economically.

So I know hardship. I also recognize laziness and the disregard for responsibility that I see in so many, I think in the op, I tried to get that point across with the panhandler mention. I also know how demoralizing it is to have to "ASK" for help from any one including relatives.

Where I disagree, I guess, is the fact, that once you are financially at the bottom with no where to go but up, it is not easy to move where the jobs are. If you can't afford a living space where you are, how on earth can you strike off someplace you don't know. And going for jobs you are not qualified for, require obtaining the knowledge to do it. That means school. A plus in the long run, but not easy to do if you are strapped for funds.

Another thought, a dear friend of mine once pointed out tons of jobs available thru ads on the internet and in newspapers. For those qualified that is great. And I have seen blurbs where the applicants for the positions greatly outnumbered the available jobs. So jobs are at a premium, and with that the odds of obtaining one that will feed, clothe and shelter you go down with the addition of every other candidate.

Sigh, now I have to go find the facts and figures for that. Curse of a numbers person.

Thanks for provoking my thought processess.

BT

edit on 26-10-2012 by BearTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Heads up folks. There is always hope. Once the election is over....whoever wins...people will go on with life. It is a fickle thing...these election cycles. I am old enough, I have seen this "stall" of the economy many-many times and it also makes me angry. There is no need for it. Life goes on. If you were going to build a deck on the back of your house...then build the damn deck...whoever ends up in the Oval office is of no concern to you...but folks act like it does. They hoard up their treasure and wait to see who gets elected...like it really matters.

I have to give a positive report here.

I work in construction engineering. I won't bore anyone with the specifics of what I do but suffice to say, nothing containing steel gets built without someone like me participating in the show. For the last couple of weeks, I have been slammed by General Contractors and steel contractors to look at work that "they have"...which means...contracts have been signed...this project is a go. This is good-good news...no...it's GREAT news. I remember when the economy slammed shut 4 years ago and there was just nothing being built...no one talking about it...no one considering it. This is changing. I accepted a contract today for about 6 months of work for me and my 3 associates. I am stoked! and there is more...much more. Times are not so grim...they are getting better. The clouds are parting and the sun is starting to shine through...give it a few months for the guys like me to get this stuff rolling and you will see it....you will see the rainbows after the storm.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

I am truly happy for you!!! That is good news for you and your crew, and for the rest of us.

BT

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

Thank you. If for anything, for re-affirming my thoughts on it all.

The people are in charge of this country, not Washington D.C.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join