It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody listen to the Holy Spirit?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

I'm not using faith in that sense. I'm using it in this sense: faith. I am particularly taking the side of reason in this debate.

I understand what having trust in something means, but would you trust something without having any reason to trust it? Trust without reason is faith, and to me, trust must first be earned.
I was mostly trying to make the distinction between blind faith (which is just faith in today's world; trusting in something without really testing it) and visionary faith (which is testing it for the sake of truth and possibility). Dogmatic faith and personal faith, respectively.

In terms of earning trust: you will probably have to go out of your way to earn this trust. Sometimes trust is a given, but sometimes it needs to be taken. If there's no reason to trust it, then don't, but then you could potentially be closing yourself off to untapped possibilities, and that is what I meant by the open-mindedness of it.

I see no reason why reason must preclude the faith I describe. Faith to me is a rational tool for when rationality yields no answers, because the attention to the surface of things isn't the whole picture. I would be deceiving myself if I thought that it was.

Implicitly, rationality is the right hand and faith is the left hand, while explicitly they are against each other. The whole "faith vs rationality" argument is one of duality, much like "religion vs science", which is stupid. All arguments pitting aspects of duality against each other lead no where because they cancel each other out.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Wow, this is like-- the most respectful thread dealing with spiritual beliefs that I've EVER seen on ATS. Kudos to all of you. This is how ATS should be all the time, in all forums. (I usually bail on threads when the venom starts spewing...)
edit on 10/23/2012 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

You will not find more compassionate and understanding people than those guided by the Holy Spirit. From God's heart to our lips. Well. Most of the time. I can't say our fleshy side doesn't stick out now and again. After all, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The answer no. I try and I try but no!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SpiritofEnoch

You will not find more compassionate and understanding people than those guided by the Holy Spirit.

So that's what compassion and understanding is, eh? Holding up cardboard signs and shouting that homosexuals will burn in hell?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

The word faith generally refers to a belief that is held with lack of, in spite of or against reason and evidence.

This is my favorite line in that page you linked.
Even Wikipedia agrees!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I would be the last person to say that all people who claim to be led by the spirit actually are. But this is how your can tell the difference. You will know them by their works. Do you see me slandering anybody for their lack of faith or sexual choices? I am testifying to the truth of God, but I know that not many will believe me.

No evidence for God, huh? He's only been around your whole life and, well, for as long as anybody can remember. I personally think that's evidence enough. Then there are the countless books written in his name of his works in people's lives. And after you read about the way God has worked in their lives, such to give them belief without proof, it's pretty easy to recognize His works in your own life.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join