learn more

Does anybody listen to the Holy Spirit?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

Peace to you enoch. i would just like to ask you on your stance on kundalini. i have done the practice before, but was reproached for doing so, hearing the words "spirit of the serpent" in the reproach. i would just like to distinguish between the Holy Spirit and the practice of kundalini, because many people label them alike.

I believe that kundalini is the spirit of the snake and to practice it is to accept the knowledge from below, as James says. I have only practiced it a few times and will never again. I was told by the Spirit to cleanse myself by preferring what God gives to what is the pleasure of any sin. that has become my way of repentance.

Please elucidate for me on such a concept for me and others here or in a new thread, or even a U2U.

Peace to you, and thanks

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

reason and faith live in harmony

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by backcase

Thousands of years of philosophical debate would prove otherwise. The murder of Socrates is a fine example of the chasm between the two.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm enjoying reading this thread, and the different perspectives, and the respect of those who question the validity of folks saying the Holy Spirit speaks to them. May I share my story?

Attended church as a very young child (up til about age 5)
Went a couple of times in elementary school.
Got pretty involved in church attendance/activities ages 13 - 16
Very spotty since then.

I've always felt God. Never really understood what was meant by the Holy Spirit. Seemed like some vague part of
'The Trinity' that was 3rd in line (Father, Son, Holy Ghost) so maybe not as active in the goings-on of life, per se.

Well, I was going thru a rough spell (still am really) my sister-in-law invited me to this non-denominational Bible study. To be honest, I went the 1st time just to get out of the house. That's been almost a year ago and I've only missed 1 time. It's just so uncanny how relevant each week's study has been to my life each week.

To topic: The focus of the current study is the Holy Spirit. One interesting thing that I had never heard or understood, is that people can "invoke the Power of the Holy Spirit" for some need, such as peace of mind, hope, motivation, determination, healing, etc... and also that the Holy Spirit intercedes between us and the Father of Creation when we do not know how to put into words our discomfort (like if it is just too complex and convoluted to unravel the root cause.) Some majorly powerful 'coincidences' have occurred in my life as a result of doing this.

This is what I say: "I invoke the Power of the Holy Spirit, in the name of Jesus Christ/Yeshua, as ordained by the Father of Creation, to...

You can believe me or not. You can say it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. You can say whatever you want, but I know what washes over me instantaneously. (Oh, and you have to say it with conviction, not begging... believing.)

If you're an atheist, you will not be struck down by a bolt of lightning for saying this! Just give it all you've got, as much conviction as you can garner. If you have faith the size of a grain of mustard seed, as they say... (And frankly, if you're reading this thread with a modicum of interest, something inside of you maybe wants to believe this could be possible.)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

reply to post by EnochWasRight

Peace to you enoch. i would just like to ask you on your stance on kundalini. i have done the practice before, but was reproached for doing so, hearing the words "spirit of the serpent" in the reproach. i would just like to distinguish between the Holy Spirit and the practice of kundalini, because many people label them alike.

I believe that kundalini is the spirit of the snake and to practice it is to accept the knowledge from below, as James says. I have only practiced it a few times and will never again. I was told by the Spirit to cleanse myself by preferring what God gives to what is the pleasure of any sin. that has become my way of repentance.

Please elucidate for me on such a concept for me and others here or in a new thread, or even a U2U.

Peace to you, and thanks

God put it there for a reason, yet this is true for all things in nature. You answered your own question. The will of God is to give and receive. It's a two way arrangement. Taking makes us a thief. Some things are meant as gifts to be received and never taken. Our use of the fruit of knowledge is one of these. Carbon is 6 protons, 6 electrons and 6 neutrons. It is the mark of mankind and the resource for technology. Revelation 13 states this in relation to our commerce system. Just as this example shows, we can take what does not belong to us, yet may one day be ours.

edit on 23-10-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Great thoughts. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Thousands of years of philosophical debate would prove otherwise. The murder of Socrates is a fine example of the chasm between the two.

The act of murder shows a distinct lack of faith. Like I said before, there are many who claim faith, but few who actually have it. I don't look down on those without faith and actually embrace the debates as they only serve to strengthen my faith. If you want to call it your conscience, the label doesn't matter. I have been convinced of te existence of God and the Spirit declared itself to me. I don't expect this to be reason enough for anyone else, but if you search hard enough and keep your heart open and not hardened, God will work his way into your mind. That's the only true way to faith. God has to call you to it and you have to embrace it.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpiritofEnoch

The act of murder shows a distinct lack of faith. Like I said before, there are many who claim faith, but few who actually have it. I don't look down on those without faith and actually embrace the debates as they only serve to strengthen my faith. If you want to call it your conscience, the label doesn't matter. I have been convinced of te existence of God and the Spirit declared itself to me. I don't expect this to be reason enough for anyone else, but if you search hard enough and keep your heart open and not hardened, God will work his way into your mind. That's the only true way to faith. God has to call you to it and you have to embrace it.

To achieve faith, one must at some point deceive himself. To remain faithful one must close his mind to all of the contradiction, paradox and evil history his faith represents. To me, that is an impossibility, as I cannot find enough self-loathing to do such an injustice to myself. God cannot work his way into my mind for he is too weak to do so.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

reply to post by SpiritofEnoch

One man's thought process and memory is another man's divine intervention. I listen to what you call the Holy Spirit, except I call it my reason and intelligence. We're experiencing the same thing, only we label it differently.

And I call it my conscience. If you do not say no to your conscience when it wants you to stop doing something, if you let it develop it is a guide to everything.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

You don't have to deceive yourself. The answers are there. The evil and corrupt history is the result of man, not God. God is a powerful thing to evoke to people, and it gives you a lot of power over them. It is easy to see how evil men could take advantage of this over the years. I am not denying the nature of man. But if you deny your conscience access to its roots, it will wither. No good branch separate from the tree can bear fruit, as it were. To walk the path with God is hard enough. I feel such sympathy for those who choose to walk the path without him. Is it impossible? I don't think so. Buddha would be a good example of someone who walked the good path without relying on God. I think he had divine intervention like you wouldn't believe, but that's just my intuition, or what I would call the Holy Spirit.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yes I do.

A few nights ago as I was just falling asleep I felt someone blow on my face. It came form the direction of the wardrobe and opposite to my hubby.
I then went to sleep so I obviously wasn't worried. In fact I have been having a terrible time going ot sleep it has got to 5am and I am still awake.

But in the morning I did worry. (past issues that are not the topic of this thread.)
SO I googled the phrase 'wind blowing in my face' and it led me to CILMIN (Christ in Lord Ministries) and a ebook written by Owin Daniel, about how he, an African Pastor, had became a Christian.
But before he had, he had nearly died by drowning and how in praying he had called to God for help, he had felt a wind blowing on his face and it had given him extra energy to swim to safety

He later recounts when he was given the gift of tongues he felt a wind blowing on his face again. He wrote that he now considers this to be the trademark of the Holy Spirit's works.

I then realised I had asked for help to keep going (again off topic) and this was the answer.

Later that nightime, I then opened the Bible to John 3v8 and this was exactly fitting to the circumstances.
"The wind blows where it will and though you hear its sound, yet you neither know where it comes from nor where it is going. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."
I like to think it was God saying 'you have just had an encounter with the Holy Spirit, don't worry'.

Life is really tough at present, attacks on all sides but I know that God is with us and He isn't going to leave us.

Even if it does seem like He is elsewhere, He knows what is going on and what you need, even if you don't yet know what it is that you need.

SO I like to answer with a life experience and that was my recent experience..

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

Thanks for sharing. That does sound like the God I know reaching out to someone. I'm glad you were able to recognize him.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Faith is devotion, trust, confidence, and striving for the truth or whatever the goal may be. Then there is blind faith which is entirely belief and based on one's social or cultural background and upbringing - which in my experience has been mostly deceptions/illusions as well. Belief is desperately trying to cling to the water; faith is trusting it because you know you will float.

"I want to know the truth: that is the attitude of faith." - Alan Watts

Faith opens us up to more knowledge because it represents open-mindedness and conviction, and I'm not talking about the Christian/Western idea of faith, which to me is lacking in faith and heavily relies on hope and belief instead, which in itself is not terrible, but it's the "heavily relies on" part that doesn't suit me either because it leaves little room for reason, and as you said, can easily deceive us. It is why in Buddhism it is said to believe nothing unless it agrees with your reason and common sense. That takes faith.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Many get inner guidance; some call it the paraclete, others believe it is their higher self helping them to make better decisions. Whatever it is, you are fortunate to have help. I made the mistake of becoming religious when I had a spiritually uplifting experience. Eventually I was able to conclude that anything that requires obedience or worship, is phony baloney. Our natural state is without beliefs and at total peace. This could never happen if one was deceived by a religion. I depend on my conscience and good sense but my intuition makes some inroads. Our mission is always the same, grow our aura, help others and create love. Nothing more is required.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Then the faith of America is a lie. No one wants to know the truth, they want a "truth" they can be comfortable with. They just want a really awesome lie. It's easier to live with than a terrible and painful truth.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur

Faith is devotion, trust, confidence, and striving for the truth or whatever the goal may be. Then there is blind faith which is entirely belief and based on one's social or cultural background and upbringing - which in my experience has been mostly deceptions/illusions as well. Belief is desperately trying to cling to the water; faith is trusting it because you know you will float.

Faith opens us up to more knowledge because it represents open-mindedness and conviction, and I'm not talking about the Christian/Western idea of faith, which to me is lacking in faith and heavily relies on hope and belief instead, which in itself is not terrible, but it's the "heavily relies on" part that doesn't suit me either because it leaves little room for reason, and as you said, can easily deceive us. It is why in Buddhism it is said to believe nothing unless it agrees with your reason and common sense. That takes faith.

I'm not using faith in that sense. I'm using it in this sense: faith. I am particularly taking the side of reason in this debate.

I understand what having trust in something means, but would you trust something without having any reason to trust it? Trust without reason is faith, and to me, trust must first be earned.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
That holy spirit talks too much. It's always telling me to not do something or to do something. I mean, it's always right but that's not the point. I gotta do things on my own, I can't be a parrot. Maybe it's just my subconscious I keep hearing. Who knows, but it's always right anyway.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpiritofEnoch

You don't have to deceive yourself. The answers are there. The evil and corrupt history is the result of man, not God. God is a powerful thing to evoke to people, and it gives you a lot of power over them. It is easy to see how evil men could take advantage of this over the years. I am not denying the nature of man. But if you deny your conscience access to its roots, it will wither. No good branch separate from the tree can bear fruit, as it were. To walk the path with God is hard enough. I feel such sympathy for those who choose to walk the path without him. Is it impossible? I don't think so. Buddha would be a good example of someone who walked the good path without relying on God. I think he had divine intervention like you wouldn't believe, but that's just my intuition, or what I would call the Holy Spirit.

You hold firm in your modesty and good-will despite my negativity towards your doctrines. I admire that.

I agree with what you say: the path of God is easier than the path without. I've tried both. To me, only one is truly fulfilling.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I admire your spirit, even if it is separated from God.

But to claim a life of fulfillment without God is to be guilty of doing the same thing you accuse us of doing. Deluding yourself. My life is not without it's struggles, not the least of which is a daily struggle with my belief. God has never proclaimed himself by me asking him to. But even if I try to deny he exists, he's always there. I know you yourself have your ongoing inner dialogue with God. You have to tell him every day that you don't believe in him just to convince yourself.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
That holy spirit talks too much. It's always telling me to not do something or to do something. I mean, it's always right but that's not the point. I gotta do things on my own, I can't be a parrot. Maybe it's just my subconscious I keep hearing. Who knows, but it's always right anyway.

If the Spirit talks too much, God is probably starving for your attention. You should try talking to Him more.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join