It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do I Need the Sun?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I Love the sun!! I'm not one of those crazy people who worship the sun or anything. In the summer I get a nice tan, but nothing crazy.

I live in Pittsburgh, and here we have 4 lovely season. Steaming hot summers, freezing cold winters, and beautiful springs and falls. I LOVE all of these seasons, even the sometimes crazy "snowed in" winters!!

BUT what I don't love is how I feel in the winter. Without a daily dose of sunshine I have ZERO energy, and all I want to do is sleep. I'm miserable. My skin gets all dry and really messed up. I'ts like I NEED the sun to be happy.

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with 'seasonal depression', and was put on Efexor. I only took it for a year or so and discontinued. I didn't like how it made me feel either. I've tried tanning in the winter. It helps with the skin, but not with the depression. I haven't tried the special light bulbs you can buy that simulate the sun. Anyone here have any experience with them, how'd they work?

I wonder what it's like for people who live where it's always cold? Are they generally less happy than people who get sun? I guess If they were like me, they would never know. I have lived here my whole life. I don't think I would like living where it's always hot though... I love winter, and white christmas, and hot chocolate, and hoodies!!

Ugh

Anybody relate? Any advise??
Thanks ATS
edit on 20-10-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I'm the same way. I live in western New York and I can already feel the lethargy beginning. It's horrible! I can barely get anything done now.

I refuse to go on medication...I believe I can just train myself. With hope, I'll get one of those lights. If not, then I guess I'm going to force myself to go out and get sun, even when it's 10 ° out...hehe.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
When I lived in northern NY I had a "sun lamp." I found that it did help a little with depression that worsens in winter but I have other mental issues too so I might not be the best person to go by.

When I got it, I had a pretty good insurance but at that time they didn't pay for it so a family member got it for me. Personally, although it helped a little, I always felt guilty that they bought it because it really wasn't a huge difference.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

I don't know what I would do if I lived in another climate. I've lived in Phoenix most of my life and I'll confess I'm addicted to the sun!

I can tell how my mood changes on a cloudy day. We don't have many thank god but when we do I feel lethargic and a bit depressed.

I don't know what to tell you...move to the desert.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Hushabye

Yes, I know, It's starting for me too. Do you mind If I ask your a/s? I'm female 36.

I wonder what it is? Could it just be that we aren't getting enough vitamin D?? Or is it something else?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

I have a feeling it wouldn't make much of a difference for me either.

I think there is something that the sun gives me that cant be reproduced.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I'm female, 39 years old. It's been happening my whole life though, so I don't think it's much to do with age.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Funny how it works, you're all getting cold and feeling the winter blues, and for the last few days, as it's been getting warmer here and the sun is saying howdy a little earlier each day, I'm feeling the opposite.

nothing massive, but definitely a change in mood.

I feel better in warmer weather but I hate the heat. I guess it depends, a comfy chair in front of a fire place on a cold night still has its place in my memories.. But it feels like get out and go for a walk, time..

being on the other side of the planet as you, opposite seasons and all..

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Hushabye

Same here, just seems to be getting a little worse...even this year. Seems like it came on strong and fast. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

LUCKY! Can I come over? LOL Yes, that's the thing, I wish there was a way to get what I get from the sun, from a roaring fire....or S'mores

edit on 21-10-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

The sun warms us, lights our path, makes things grow. Too much of a good thing is well, too much. Maybe you like the sun more because of winter. By the time it comes back around, we really miss it.

Maybe you could trip to southern reaches in the winter if it suits you and see if that doesn't cure the longing. I doubt an artificial light would do anything other than make people jealous of your winter tan.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I think so too and I don't think when people get depressed during winter in northern climates that it's just the lessening of sun that does it. I can't really verbalize it proper but everything just seems different in winter to some people especially in northern climates. Some people love it and some people just feel miserable. I live in FL now and although the change does nothing for my other mental issues I can say that I don't notice a dip in mood during winter now or in other words I'm a more stable nutter LOL (hey, sometimes you have to laugh at yourself!)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
If you're seriously planning to avoid the sun, at least take some Vitamin D supplements.

...Vampire.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

good idea...thanks...

top topics

join