It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Police Scanning Suspect Fingerprints with Cell Phones to Access Criminal Records -- Think Be

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Hello ATS. I noticed you around.

Have YOU noticed what's happening around YOU? For example, how many of you noticed the creepy BoA transition to TOUCH-ONLY atms? Did you ask yourself, is this bank telling machine capable of taking my fingerprint? If you did ask that question, you belong on this website LOL.

However, the question itself is no joke. Only our acceptance of conspiracy theory. I really don't like the silently encroaching technocracy that's closing around every aspect of the human economy.

I don't like how everyone on the bus is on their phone, like the people in Minority Report (with their digital newspapers NARCing on everyone lol).

AND I don't like how everyone who bought GM or Asian special has OnStar or other horrific HARDWIRED systems installed in their cars.

Most of all, I don't like how NO ONE is speaking out, while EVERYONE is getting swept down the toilet of technocracy. That should be a horrible nightmarish image to you chaps! GETTING FLUSHED! It involves a struggle whether you want the exercise or not.

BUT... wasn't this thread SUPPOSED to be about Seattle Police using cell phone scans to take fingerprints?
Yes, initially. It became a rant against technology in general, though. Because I worry...

I wonder,

...Where... ...into what dimension of sad and silent thought, will humanity escape, one by one, when we have surrendered the very last of our physical freedoms? Or are we already in that place? All those pale and sullen faces looking downward and not upward. The Sound of Silence that Simon and Garfunkel sang about. No one talking, no one laughing, only that horrible tapping...

WHY should we accept that?
And why should we accept this new, tyrannical technology, that CIRCUMVENTS states' rights, individual privacy, and state lines?

You realize, if you have a felony or even a misdemeanor against you, and it's on the record because you were honest, or made a mistake, or needed help, or just f*cked up in general and need to start over, this system WILL NOT LET YOU start over.

It's like the MOTB without leaving a mark. It's what comes before the chaos.

What do you think about this?

ARE THE POLICE REMOVING THE NEED FOR PROOF? WHAT HAPPENED TO UNLAWFUL SEARCH AND SEIZURE, WHAT HAPPENED TO INNOCENT UNTIL **PROVEN** GUILTY?????

seattletimes.com...

Friday, October 19, 2012 - Page updated at 10:00 p.m. Information in this article, originally published Oct. 18, 2012, was corrected Oct. 19, 2012. A previous version of this story said that the bulk of the AFIS levy before King County voters on Nov. 6 will pay for a new lab. The majority of the levy will pay for salaries for AFIS staff.
Portable fingerprint scanners aid King County deputies
By Jennifer Sullivan
Seattle Times staff reporter

His cop's sixth sense told Deputy Ryan Abbott something just wasn't right about the woman at the SeaTac check-cashing business.

The King County sheriff's deputy had been summoned to the store by employees who believed the woman might be trying to cash a stolen check.

She handed Abbott her driver's license with photo, but a computer check revealed the woman had no criminal history — not exactly the kind of person who would typically be passing a stolen check.

Still, recalled Abbott, "I was suspicious of her ID and the fact that when we ran the name we didn't get a (criminal) record."

That's when Abbott pulled out a device about the size of a smartphone and asked the woman if he could scan her fingerprints. Within 30 seconds Abbott had the woman's real name and learned she was wanted on two felony warrants for identity theft.

Even in the increasingly computer-reliant field of law enforcement, the MorphoIDent portable fingerprint scanner is being hailed as "the next step in helping to fight crime" by King County Sheriff Steve Strachan. The device allows cops in the field to take two images of a suspect's fingerprints, which are transmitted, via Bluetooth, to the deputy's in-car computer, where they are then run through King County's Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS), a database of more than 700,000 prints taken in the county.

Within 30 seconds the device will reveal whether a person's fingerprints are on file, either as a wanted person or as someone with a criminal record.

"When I first started using it, (suspects) didn't believe it was real," Abbott said. "Even the guys who lied about their names say, 'That's cool' and 'I didn't think it would work.' "

Abbott is one of three sheriff's deputies who have been assigned the MorphoIDent, which is made by the Virginia-based company MorphoTrak. Sheriff's Office leaders have been so happy with the results that they have ordered six more.

Identifying criminal suspects — or ruling out the innocent — in the field can be time-consuming, if not impossible, for law enforcers. Suspects frequently give false names and can often back them up with realistic fake IDs.

I don't like the SMELL OF THIS ONE BIT!!!
And if they expect ME to believe that it's "county only databases"

........GEEEEEEEZUSSSSSS what year do they thhinkkk we were borrrrn?

edit on 20-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Any moment now some poor naive soul is going to come in here and post something like...

"If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about."

AND THAT.....is what worries me the most

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by KhufuKeplerTriangle

Dear KhufuKeplerTriangle,

F&S. Biometrics is not the MOTB, it will be the universal form of identification which will result in the need for an invisible mark to verify that you are your biometric identity rather than a hacked version. Recently, some "hackers" have proven that you can make a sufficiently high resolution of your iris to fool biometric software, the same can be done for fingerprints and the Walt Disney company has developed a program that can make lifelike skin and a duplication of anyone's face that can fool biometric software. This is what the banks will require in the future and requires and international agreement to institute; but, the agreement can be by the banks and would not require treaties.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

F&S. Biometrics is not the MOTB, it will be the universal form of identification which will result in the need for an invisible mark to verify that you are your biometric identity rather than a hacked version. Recently, some "hackers" have proven that you can make a sufficiently high resolution of your iris to fool biometric software, the same can be done for fingerprints and the Walt Disney company has developed a program that can make lifelike skin and a duplication of anyone's face that can fool biometric software. This is what the banks will require in the future and requires and international agreement to institute; but, the agreement can be by the banks and would not require treaties.
I've actually wondered about that before and I believe you!
We saw similar stuff in Mrs. Doubtfire, in Minority Report (eyeball swap), etc.!
ICKY huh?

Thanks for the very good tip, though -- Problem, reaction, solution is what Digler on that other site used to say,
and that describes the "need for the mark" very well!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Any moment now some poor naive soul is going to come in here and post something like...

Now I'd never say a thing like that....but.....

Well, fingerprints off touch screens is 5-10 years away from being a viable idea, IMO. How many people here have been fingerprinted on a digital system? I went through it for my Haz-Mat trucking endorsement and for my CCW as well as something else on a private thing. The most recent and best equipment was the Sheriff's Dept for the CCW. It took him 4 times on the glass to get a set he figured would work...and still wasn't 100% sure. My Haz-mat prints went no better...any of the times.

So.. if that's the best that trained and experienced guys can do when you're 100% cooperative and TRYING to give them a clean set of prints...I think it's years before an ATM or Slot machine touch screen actually pulls enough detail from a quick bump to be anything but a smudge..... At least it's one thing we don't have to immediately worry about?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by rival

Now I'd never say a thing like that....but.....

Well, fingerprints off touch screens is 5-10 years away from being a viable idea, IMO. How many people here have been fingerprinted on a digital system? I went through it for my Haz-Mat trucking endorsement and for my CCW as well as something else on a private thing. The most recent and best equipment was the Sheriff's Dept for the CCW. It took him 4 times on the glass to get a set he figured would work...and still wasn't 100% sure. My Haz-mat prints went no better...any of the times.

So.. if that's the best that trained and experienced guys can do when you're 100% cooperative and TRYING to give them a clean set of prints...I think it's years before an ATM or Slot machine touch screen actually pulls enough detail from a quick bump to be anything but a smudge..... At least it's one thing we don't have to immediately worry about?

Sadly, I don't believe we have that much time. I could be wrong, but...
Technology moves faster and faster and faster the more we want it to slow down.

WIKIPEDIA: the singularity and hyperbolic growth

When a quantity grows towards a singularity under a finite variation (a "finite-time singularity") it is said to undergo hyperbolic growth.

If the output of a function is inversely proportional to its input, or inversely proportional to the difference from a given value , the function will exhibit hyperbolic growth, with a singularity at .
In the real world hyperbolic growth is created by certain non-linear positive feedback mechanisms.

hyperbolic growth has a singularity in finite time (grows to infinity at a finite time)

The technological singularity is the theoretical emergence of greater-than-human superintelligence through technological means.[1] Since the capabilities of such intelligence would be difficult for an unaided human mind to comprehend, the occurrence of a technological singularity is seen as an intellectual event horizon, beyond which events cannot be predicted or understood.
Proponents of the singularity typically state that an "intelligence explosion",[2][3] where superintelligences design successive generations of increasingly powerful minds, might occur very quickly and might not stop until the agent's cognitive abilities greatly surpass that of any human.

...It's coming.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Let me provide some links for you.

Gizmodo - Disney Invents Method to Clone Humans Into Robots

Tech Week Europe - Iris Scanners Hacked At Black Hat USA 2012

The we have this quote from the FullWiki "John Michael (Mike) McConnell, a former vice admiral in the United States Navy, a former Director of US National Intelligence, and Senior Vice President of Booz Allen Hamilton promoted the development of a future capability to require biometric authentication to access certain public networks in his Keynote Speech[5] at the 2009 Biometric Consortium Conference."

Thanks for your thread, you just caused me to see the next step. A year or two ago, a new series of domain extensions began the approval process. Most people have heard about the .xxx extension for adult content. By creating a .bnk extension that is only accessible for financial transactions that have been biometrically verified.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

That is some incredibly scary stuff. I wonder if technology has scaled to the point where... people are so dependent on it, that removes the intelligence once needed for survival. Therefore the new AI doesn't have to be that intelligent after all to beat the heck out of humans.... LOL we are all queued up and waiting to be culled by the new CyberGodz

XD

edit: the DOMAIN thing you mentioned is the scariest!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Dear Wrabbit2000,

Have to disagree with you, You can now access your ATM in Japan doing just a palm print.PC World - Japanese ATMs to Use Palm Readers in Place of Cash Cards

And I forgot, many states now require your electronic thumb print to get a license.
edit on 20-10-2012 by AQuestion because: Additional Information

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Dear Wrabbit2000,

Have to disagree with you, You can now access your ATM in Japan doing just a palm print.PC World - Japanese ATMs to Use Palm Readers in Place of Cash Cards

And I forgot, many states now require your electronic thumb print to get a license.
edit on 20-10-2012 by AQuestion because: Additional Information

Okay, and perhaps I misunderstood. Are we talking about a setup designed for the consumer to willingly give their print or scan ..or touch screens that can capture that from otherwise casual use?

I thought the OP meant the latter...which I don't think the accuracy and speed is there for yet if someone isn't trying to make the print viable for a scanner. The Palm scanners, I first saw at Disneyworld in Orlando. That was October of 2001, so that's been around for awhile on one a customer is using by design.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Where are we headed?

Cherry 2000, probably.

Lester says, BE YOURSELF!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Dear Wrabbit2000,

It is interesting that you mentioned Disney, they are currently the leaders in biometric deployment. Having said that IRIS scans can be accurate to many feet or even from a satellite. The technology is much more advanced than you know, it is just a matter of getting everyone's biometric information.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Dear Wrabbit2000,

It is interesting that you mentioned Disney, they are currently the leaders in biometric deployment. Having said that IRIS scans can be accurate to many feet or even from a satellite. The technology is much more advanced than you know, it is just a matter of getting everyone's biometric information.

Yeah, the iris scanners are something that get my attention in a way few other things can. Heat signatures (everyone DOES have a unique one..Shhhhh) can be obscured. Fingerprints can be covered or for the truly masochistic, permanently altered. Umm...Minority Report style Iris scanners like the retail store application the movie showed scare the hell out of me.

It's no one's business to be able to bio scan my ID at 15 feet away or even further. I resent my Government even spending tax money to develop such a thing at this point.

You know....I hear a thousand whiny little voices in Washington and Virginia and Utah screaming about what we can do with technology so it's what we MUST do with it and full speed ahead. We don't hear ANYONE even slowing down a hair to ask....should we and where does this EVER stop? Will the Matrix be enough for them in the end?? Or maybe they just find a way to use the brain and we don't even get the bodies in future generations. It's going too far...regardless of the touch screen status. No doubt.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Dear Wrabbit2000,

It's no one's business to be able to bio scan my ID at 15 feet away or even further. I resent my Government even spending tax money to develop such a thing at this point.

They didn't have to create it, private companies are in the lead like Disney and Facebook and Google. I can't find the article right now; but, Facebook has a new product coming out to stores. When you walk in the store, a scanner at the front scans you, identifies you and will send you coupons to your cell phone that you can scan into at check out.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Oh, I know...Disney is one of the largest private corps on Earth, with it's vast and varied companies and efforts taken together. They also got that way, in part, by spin off technology contracted back to the Department of Defense as they developed their Animatronics, Robotics and innovative systems of engineering for the pure amusement of audiences.....paying good money to experience it.

At those levels and with something so obviously and clearly directed to Military and Internal Security applications, I'd never assume there is a hairs separation between Uncle Sam and Mickey Mouse. Pals to the end.

new topics

top topics

join