It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Sister, The Conservative Christian

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
A little bit of background: my family was divided by circumstance and certain unsavory personality traits on the part of the parents. It's been many years, but I've decided to see if my little sister could be found on Facebook. I got clever and checked my older sister's friends list - if there was any chance at all of my younger sister having an account, there was an equal chance that she had already friended my other sister. Common sense, you knowSo I found her. My immediate reaction: "Oh god, I hope that's not her. Please, no." Because her description heaped praise on Jesus. I checked her friends and family. That's when I saw a pair of faces I remembered from my childhood...the people who have taken her in and adopted her. And that's when I saw the 'Conservative' label on her Facebook.

It's official. My little sister is a sheeple. A die-hard sheeple. A puppet, raised to emulate her sheeple parents. I had believed that it was my duty to watch over my little sister and protect her, to make sure she was healthy and safe and happy. That's what big brothers do. If she stubs her toe, you turn the table into kindling. If she complains about looking like crap, you break the mirror and buy her flowers to make her feel worthwhile. Maybe I'm going overboard, but you get my point. But this...she's a conservative Christian. She's 18 or so, barely old enough to even understand the beginnings of the implications of being convservative or a Christian...there's only one explanation possible:

Only 18, and she's already been programmed. Conditioned. Trained. Brainwashed. All of it. My sister. Oh god.

:bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd:
edit on 19-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It could be worse,she could be a tree hugging liberal with no morals.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Some people that are in our lives may not always choose a path we believe in or approve of; but we can still love them and support their right to make that choice; and look for all the other things we have in common with them; and focus on the common ground we do have with them.

I have learned in life; to accept people as they are; love them as they are; and many times I will agree to disagree with them; but we still have respect for each other and our right to make the choices that we do.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

she could be a tree hugging liberal with no morals.

Contradiction of terms. I'd rather her be a liberal than a traditionalist with no critical thinking skills outside of what she's told to do.

But then again, I'm a liberal, so...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Your too late, they've already gotten her. Such a shame. Aim your anger at those responsible.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
A little bit of background: my family was divided by circumstance and certain unsavory personality traits on the part of the parents. It's been many years, but I've decided to see if my little sister could be found on Facebook. I got clever and checked my older sister's friends list - if there was any chance at all of my younger sister having an account, there was an equal chance that she had already friended my other sister. Common sense, you knowSo I found her. My immediate reaction: "Oh god, I hope that's not her. Please, no." Because her description heaped praise on Jesus. I checked her friends and family. That's when I saw a pair of faces I remembered from my childhood...the people who have taken her in and adopted her. And that's when I saw the 'Conservative' label on her Facebook.

It's official. My little sister is a sheeple. A die-hard sheeple. A puppet, raised to emulate her sheeple parents. I had believed that it was my duty to watch over my little sister and protect her, to make sure she was healthy and safe and happy. That's what big brothers do. If she stubs her toe, you turn the table into kindling. If she complains about looking like crap, you break the mirror and buy her flowers to make her feel worthwhile. Maybe I'm going overboard, but you get my point. But this...she's a conservative Christian. She's 18 or so, barely old enough to even understand the beginnings of the implications of being convservative or a Christian...there's only one explanation possible:

Only 18, and she's already been programmed. Conditioned. Trained. Brainwashed. All of it. My sister. Oh god.

:bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd:

Your statements about breaking the mirror, or turning the table into kindling may be apocryphal, but they do underscore a basic tenet of liberal thought, in that it prefers pretty lies to ugly truths.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

So you're a liberal,do you have morals?Your attitude doesn't seem very liberal regarding your sister,the irony!
At least you know she won't get knocked up by a 'gangsta'.Look on the bright side.

edit to add:as a great man once said-scratch the surface of liberals,there's a beast underneath.
edit on 19/10/2012 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

So you're a liberal,do you have morals?Your attitude doesn't seem very liberal regarding your sister,the irony!

It's more my concern for her intellectual well-being, considering her mind seems to have been well oiled for being raped by the broken and delusional standards of society. Should I not be concerned, seeing how well the whole 'societal puppet' deal has worked so far? All the problems and not a single damn solution in sight. Yep, I'm proud my sister has joind their ranks. Now I know for certain that she will never achieve anything that a million other haven't done, and her life will be just as meaningful as theirs. She's on the way to being a full-fledged robot.

At least you know she won't get knocked up by a 'gangsta'.Look on the bright side.

Because a corporate dummy unable to make his own decisions without a fat paycheck to help him decide is much better, right?

I don't think you understand where I'm coming from on this. How ironic, the only person participating in this thread, other than myself, is someone who is inevitably bound to clash horns with me.
Allow me to mourn my sister's fate, if you would be so kind. She is doomed to be molded like every other drone. I weep for her future. Certainly, she may profit...but she will never know the spiritual and intellectual joys of thinking outside the box and being her own person, untouched by the influences of zombified authorities encouraging her to conform for the sake of the 'easy road'.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Who says I'm angry at her? I only weep for her repressed individuality and potential.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Who says I'm angry at her? I only weep for her repressed individuality and potential.

My bad. didn't mean to suggest YOU were angry.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'm really tired of the word sheeple. It's becoming way overused by everyone. All it really means is "OMFG! That person has A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME so I must berate them!"

I wish people would grow up and learn to realize that we are not the same and will have different opinions.

edit on 19-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

If you haven't contacted her you don't know for sure.I think you are misguided about the brainwashing,for the last 30 years its been liberal brainwashing that we've been fed.I think its intelligent of her not to fall for it.
Get to know here again,plant the seed & let it grow.She is still young and will think very differently in another 18 years.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

edit on 19/10/2012 by glen200376 because: double post

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
All it really means is "OMFG! That person has A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME so I must berate them!"

Actualy it means they have a PROGRAMMED opinion.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Here's a hint:

Unless a thought is going to be completely original, it's pretty much going to be all a programmed response. There's very few original thoughts. Note, you can still be creative without being completely original. (Think people like JK Rowling and you get the point.)

Because even rebellious thoughts is a type of programmed response, because it is heavily influenced by the mainstream society.

It's all based on how we are hardwired.

Think about it.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

Here's a hint:

Unless a thought is going to be completely original, it's pretty much going to be all a programmed response. There's very few original thoughts. Note, you can still be creative without being completely original. (Think people like JK Rowling and you get the point.)

Because even rebellious thoughts is a type of programmed response, because it is heavily influenced by the mainstream society.

It's all based on how we are hardwired.

Think about it.

I agree with most of what you say. However, most are simply following what they are told by their television, and they refuse to even try to think otherwise. I remember reading (cant remember where at the moment) that if you can persuade just 5% of the people, then another 94% will blindly follow, hence - SHEEPLE.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

So what?

You may find it disgusting to go with the crowd, but really, many people who rebel against the crowd are just going to join another crowd and go with them.

Hence they become the sheeple.

People are, after all, social and tribal animals. Each tribe and group are based on the same or similar beliefs. And they all call each other sheeple because they all think that the other group is the only one going with a programmed response and not them.

Sheeple is just a bs word so that some people can feel good about themselves. Some people have to tear down others to do it, and sheeple is a good way to do just that.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I'm really tired of the word sheeple. It's becoming way overused by everyone. All it really means is "OMFG! That person has A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME so I must berate them!"

You misunderstand. 'sheeple', to me, means someone who takes all of their opinions and beliefs from other people because they are encouraged to, and can't be bothered to form a conclusion of their own critical thinking processes.

I have no problem with a different opinion as long as they can defend their opinion. But how does an 18 year old know enough about politics or spirituality to state so definitively that they are conservative and Christian? They haven't studied these topics long enough to make an informed decision in the matter. They just parrot their parents and society.

Additionally, her parents have subtly condemned my parents because - again - they are conservatives. My parents are gay, fyi. So it stands to reason that, because she clearly hasn't done the homework (what 18 year old has done their homework in religion and politics, seriously? ) she has borrowed everything she believes in from her environment. She's a puppet.

Conservatism is a political and social philosophy that promotes retaining traditional social institutions. A person who follows the philosophies of conservatism is referred to as a traditionalist or conservative.

Some conservatives seek to preserve things as they are, emphasizing stability and continuity, while others oppose modernism and seek a return to "the way things were".

Due the the nature of humankind, this type of policy is more detrimental than beneficial, especially when the nature of the universe is motion, which means change. Conservatives resist the flow of nature. No revolution, no innovation, no forward thinking, no progress...just stagnance. It's unnatural.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I have no problem with a different opinion as long as they can defend their opinion. But how does an 18 year old know enough about politics or spirituality to state so definitively that they are conservative and Christian?

Then why not just have a talk with her to see how she got those opinions? All you're really doing is assuming things just because you saw something on facebook and raising a big stink about it.

She lived her own life for several years without you and then you come along and tell her she's got to change her way. That's actually poor form.

Think about it. You've been living your life for some time then out of the blue an older sibling comes along and says you've got to change just because s/he doesn't like their opinions. That's actually pretty intolerant. People have a right to their opinions even if they have poor communication skills or don't know why they have them.

People should be allowed to live their own lives as they see fit even if they want to be a sheeple. That's the entire point of America. That's what life, liberty and pursuit of hippyness means.

And just because they lack the ability to defend their own opinion, doesn't really necessarily mean it's invalid, either.

Sometimes there are some pretty intelligent 18 year olds out there.

And really, it's not wrong to be part of a large group. If that's how a person wants to be, then why begrudge that?

it's pretty arrogant to try to change people's beliefs and opinions.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

You seem to be ignoring the fact that MOST people blindly follow, without a single thought for what they are following, whereas others question what they are told, and make their own decision to follow.
If you were forced to use a word to refer to those that DO blindly follow, what word would you use?

I dont like labels as much as the next person. People call me an Athiest because I dont believe and it annoys me, I'm not an athiest, I'm a person who does not believe, attaching a label to me suggests I am...something!.
However I do realise people need a word to refer to people such as myself, so I'll ask again, what word should we use when we refer to people who blindly follow without thought for what it is they are following?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join