It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

massive increase in hearing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I am a ex iron worker. Worked in a loud environment. Went to many concerts. My hearing was on the way out. But after a deep sleep my hearing has gone to the extreme. I also worked in a quiet environment studying earthquakes. It is hard to explain, but I here my dog breath from rooms away. This is almost wanting me to see help. Songs that I have heard for years, have new instruments, Birds from afar seem close, the tv is a whole new experience. I am wondering if I have a problem. It has me very worried.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Snakeybasterds

Interesting. Have you also been hearing the high pitched oscillating tone, many have reported experiencing in the past couple of months?

Des

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

No I am very worried that this is a medical issue. I have never had the chance to listen with such clarity. This has been going on for months.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I have never heard so clear in my life.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snakeybasterds
reply to post by resoe26

No I am very worried that this is a medical issue. I have never had the chance to listen with such clarity. This has been going on for months.

hmmm. strange. Are you going to visit a doctor or have you already?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Use your gift for discernment. I guarantee that if you go to a doctor, they will find something wrong, perhaps label you with a permanent disease, who knows. Why risk an identity change?

My ears were opened as well. I worked metal in a loud stamping shop for about 10 years, and my ears have improved with each decade. If you listen, you can hear the Earth humming....

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Interesting. Have you also been hearing the high pitched oscillating tone, many have reported experiencing in the past couple of months?

Des
[/
Just a low hum at night, makes me wonder if I am actually hearing it.
\

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
My hearing has got better according to my doctor. This makes me wonder if there is a problem

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Sorry my age is 44

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Why look a gift horse in the mouth, in this case? The more money you throw at doctors, the greater of a chance they tattoo you with a medical branding. Hearing is precious. Use your gift wisely.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It sounds like a medical issue, hyperacusis.

What is Hyperacusis? Is Hyperacusis helped with Auditory Integration Training (Berard AIT)?

Read More About How Hyperacusis Differs from Hyperacute (Hyper Sensitive) Hearing
Berard AIT is an intervention designed for individuals with hyperacute - hypersensitive hearing and distorted auditory processing. Although the words are used interchangeably, clinincal audiologists typciallyt use the term HYPERACUSIS for diagnostic purposes.

The differences between HYPERACUSIS and HYPERSENTIVE HEARING are:

HYPERACUSIS means reduced tolerance to suprathreshold sounds. Sounds that can be tolerated by others but annoying, uncomfortable, and in some cases painful to others. The origin is typically considered to be in a central auditory system.

HYPERSENSITIVE TO SOUND is thought of as having extra-good hearing thresholds. Thresholds per se that are in the better than normal ranges versus normal or hearing loss ranges. If it is hearing threshold related, then it is within the cochlea.

It is possible to have both HYPERACUSIS and HYPERSENTIVE HEARING.

Please discuss the details and differences in these diagnoses in with your AIT Practitioner or a clinical audiologist.

Excerpts from web article by Dan Malcore:

What is Hyperacusis?

Hyperacusis is defined as a "collapsed tolerance to normal environmental sounds". Some people with hyperacusis have such a severe collapsed tolerance to sound, that it may be difficult and sometimes impossible for them to remain in the mainstream of life enduring all the environmental noise which comes with living in the world today. ALL sounds may be perceived as too loud, although the high frequencies are particularly troublesome.
Hyperacusis differs from hypersensitive hearing, which is an abnormal growth in the perception of loudness accompanied with hearing loss.
With hyperacusis, all sounds are too loud. With hypersensitive hearing, loud noises are uncomfortable.
Individuals with hyperacusis often report they perceive sound - even their own voice - as uncomfortably loud and this not only causes tinnitus to increase but may also cause inner ear discomfort or a popping reflex in the ear.
The person who has hyperacusis can't simply get up and walk away from noise. Instead, the volume on the whole world seems stuck on high. Everyday noises sound unbearably or painfully loud.
With hyperacusis, ears also lose most of their dynamic range. Dynamic range is the ability of the ear to deal with quick shifts in sound loudness. he disorder is often chronic and usually accompanied by tinnitus (ringing in the ears) but can occur in Individuals who have little or no measurable hearing loss.
Hyperacusis can be devastating to the person's career, relationships, and peace of mind. Finding the proper diagnosis is difficult because few doctors understand hyperacusis.
Many Individuals with hyperacusis complain of ear discomfort, a feeling of fullness or burning sensation in the ears.
Most individuals with hyperacusis also experience inner ear pain or a feeling of fullness (pressure) in the ears.
Hyperacusis makes living in this noisy world difficult and dramatically changes the person's pattern of life. Moving about, traveling, and communicating with others is challenging.
Ear protection must be worn in areas that seem too loud. This includes earplugs, industrial earmuffs or both if necessary.
Some people with hyperacusis actually try to change the pitch of their own voice to accommodate their ears. This may help their ears but the person can become hoarse in the process.

It is a medical condition, most definitely.

Treatment of Hyperacusis

Many individuals with hyperacusis have gotten better over time and some see little to no improvement. Ears heal so slowly, yet time is a great healer.
Much improvement depends on the kind of advice received when individuals first come down with a collapsed tolerance to sound.
So few doctors know anything about this condition, that individuals rarely get good advice and frequently hearing tests are administered to them which can make an individual's condition even worse (MRI or Brainstem Evoke test).
Before any hearing tests are performed on an individual who is suspected to have hyperacusis, their Loudness Discomfort Levels (LDL's) should be known.
If the sounds generated from the test exceed the Loudness Discomfort Levels (LDL's) of the individual with hyperacusis, their sound tolerance can become further collapsed (worsened).

www.aitinstitute.org...

You may want to wear some of those soft, flexible foam ear plugs, until your auditory nerves heal.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snakeybasterds
I am a ex iron worker. Worked in a loud environment. Went to many concerts. My hearing was on the way out. But after a deep sleep my hearing has gone to the extreme. I also worked in a quiet environment studying earthquakes. It is hard to explain, but I here my dog breath from rooms away. This is almost wanting me to see help. Songs that I have heard for years, have new instruments, Birds from afar seem close, the tv is a whole new experience. I am wondering if I have a problem. It has me very worried.

This is due to an "upgrade" in your awareness. You are expanding your consciousness to now include things you "refused" to hear previously. And while the MD explanation of loud-noise-damage is fine, it could be said you chose to be in loud locations without protection to aid you in no hearing what there is to hear. Either way, the increase in "hearing" is due to the changes around you and you keeping up. Many people are feeling it, hearing it, good for you, enjoy it, as there is so much more to come - and shortly.

Watch the MD apologists say you should see a doctor, apparently because your hearing is too good which is a medical condition of some sort.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Any other symptoms? Sleeping normally? Just ears or do you notice changes in other senses aswell like eyes more sensitive to light, random itch or warm feeling some where randomly? Memory increased?
edit on 18-10-2012 by paranoidfreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Des

I do. I hear it right now. I have never had an issue with diminished hearing, but my eyesight has been horrendous since childhood. Glasses, then contacts, then Lasik... then deteriorated somewhat again. Lately, my vision seems sharper. This is slightly off topic, unless it isn't.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Actually what you are experiencing is normal. Much of the filtering out of our hearing is in the lobe in the brain. When you left the environment that was noisy you stopped filtering the frequencies out. This can sometimes cause filtering problems while you adjust. It can also appear to be evident in a short while when you become aware of it. We block out much sound and visual things to keep focused on what we are doing. Filtering fluorescent lights and running fridges is quite normal in life today.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

In the last two months I was diagnosed with TMJ (TMD) and Tinnitus. My symptoms were pain in my jaw and chest with excrutiating headaches. One thing the bothered me the most was (still is) hearing music 24/7. It keeps me from sleeping. The music is mostly ochestra, big band, jazz, new age. But sometimes I will get stuck on a loop of a childrens song! That was driving me up a wall. I was in fear of telling this to anyone, for they would view me as crazy.

I went to my primary care doctor with my complaints previous to my diagnosis. He encouraged me to speak with a psychiatrist!? I said no, please give me a referral to the best doc in town to look at my jaw. I also got a referral to an ear doctor as well. Turns out it's not unheard of to hear music with tinnitus. It was nice to bring my test results and x-rays back to my primary doc. I rubbed it in a little bit, but I really do like my PCP.

So now, I have to wear some form of brace on my teeth for 4 to 6 months all day, every day. If that doesn't work, it's going to be surgery.

There very well may be some underlying health issue. If you really feel something is wrong, please investigate it. It took me four years to finally come forward to my doc.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Dude, I posted a couple of days ago that my eyesight is getting better. I am pretty much the same age as you and perfectly healthy.

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth though, and continuing to enjoy reading without the lenses

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker

One thing the bothered me the most was (still is) hearing music 24/7. It keeps me from sleeping. The music is mostly ochestra, big band, jazz, new age.

I don't think about it a lot until it happens, which is not daily by any means, but I too hear music sometimes that is not... explainable. I can be in my house alone, and it sounds like a radio playing in the distance. I open the door- it's not outside. Very strange indeed. It's the same as you said-- big band or jazz or sometimes children's songs. Very very strange.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Hey, I'm with you on this one, OP. I have had significant ototoxic hearing loss caused by chemotherapy treatments. I was diagnosed with irreparable sensorineural hearing loss. In layman's terms--I had severe hearing loss due to nerve damage. Prognosis: it would never get better because the auditory nerve can't be repaired.

Rubbish! That's what I say. I do have tinnitus, but I hardly notice it. Ever since I've been meditating and "awakening," (for anybody wondering, I started hearing the hums and bells etc. around this time too--which is NOT tinnitus) my hearing has been getting better year-by-year and I have a progressive of auditory charts to prove it.

I am starting to hear notes in music I couldn't hear before. Why just earlier today I stepped through my front door and could hear my cell phone vibrating and Jeff Lynn singing "Don't bring me down!"

I ignored it thinking, "I can't possibly be hearing my ringtone when my phone is all the way upstairs. I used to not even be able to hear it when it was in the same room as me, unless it was right next to me.

Sure enough, I got upstairs and checked the phone to see a newly missed call that stopped ringing only seconds ago.

I agree with another poster who said our awareness is expanding. I, at times, seem to 'hear' stuff that I couldn't possibly be hearing (almost like the cell phone in another room.) I seem to be hearing it in a weird way though. Almost like I can hear it internally and not through the ears. You know, the way you can 'hear' your internal monologue voice speaking. There is no volume, but you can 'hear' it etherically, or whatever new-age term is applied to what I'm trying to describe here.

With my pre-existing hearing loss in mind, I always struggled to hear in group situations. You know? I was always the one asking to turn the TV or radio volume up so I could hear better. And then I would be rebuked, "That's too loud!"

But now, It seems I'm always the one who is saying, "Isn't that too loud for you? I can hear it just fine and I can't even hear that well."

Medical explanation? Sure, there probably is one. But, I still lean toward the expansion of awareness and the intelligence of the mind/ body connection to account for my improved hearing when the experts told me that such a thing is impossible.

But, in an effort to be practical. My audiologist did tell me that people with hearing loss have a remarkable ability to adapt and they sometimes experience somewhat of a recovery where none is medically expected.

new topics

top topics

join