It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most popular/well liked US president ever?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
My Lifetime (actually paid attention)
Reagan
Nixon

History

Teddy R
Lincoln
Harry T
T Jefferson

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
My life time has to be RR.

He ended the cold war, gave America it's swagger, economy was good

History - probably Jefferson. That man was a true American.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
FDRoosevelt has my vote for best president in US History...

If I had to pick my favorite from my lifetime...Clinton!

[edit on 10/19/2004 by Lecky]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
You know, I was close to saying Clinton was off limits cause I knew every global liberal would go Monica on him,

- I think giving the reasons I did for selecting BC is hardly 'going Monica' ....FFS this is really an indication of just how screwy current republican-fans are these days IMO. You claim everyone else is so utterly partial but you really could do with a long long hard thing about yourselves IMO.

Any of you guys like Republicans?

- A republican? I'd probably say Dwight Eisenhower.

A man that had been there and done it and later had the guts to call the war-pervs of his day for the lying, sponging con-men they were. Kudos to the guy, he did the world a huge favour for telling it like it was.

Pity he wasn't able to move the peace along further in his day, we could have had a new 'east' etc in the late 50's and early 60's instead of blowing the fortunes we all did and having the inevitable happen 30yrs later.

Or do you just like the Dems (wouldn't be that shocked)?

- No, the actual shock is realising just how risibly right-wing many republicans in the US have really genuinely become whereby they really are stating - and meaning - that their Democrat country-folk are tantamount to traitors.

Who the hell could like that?

[edit on 19-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
Hmmm, let's see...

I have a lot of admiration for Abraham Lincoln, of course. He preserved the Union and made sure that what was at that time the "great experiment" in democracy did not flounder. Also an excellent public speaker - his Gettysburg speech is an inspiration.

He certainly preserved the Union.

One way he accomplished this was to arrest every Democratic Party official in the state of Maryland and Jail them for the duration of the "susccession controversy." More than 5000 people, for the sole crime of being a member of the same organization that opposed his rule. He also suspended the 5th amendment an all habeus corpus procedings for the rest of the war.

H.C. is the part of American Law that says a prisoner must be formally charged or released within a reasonable amount of time (24 hrs. in most states, 4 in certain instances now.)

He also sent troops into New York City to quell the antiwar riots of 1862/3.

Maybe it was worth it.

Maybe the end justifies the means.

But the means also condition the end.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join