It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most popular/well liked US president ever?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
OK all you non Americans... You have bitched and moaned about Bush so much I can hardly look at any thread that has anything to do with the man, so let's ahve a positive thread about US presidents for once...

Who have you actually liked and why did you like him?

[edit on 18-10-2004 by American Mad Man]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Ronald Reagan without a doubt. While his death has created a nostalgia, Reagan will IMHO stand the test of time. He was a conservative, not in the mold of the neo-cons we have today, but when you think about the term compassionate conservatism, it really fits. While he may have preached a more conservative line, he was pragmatic in alot of his desicions. He stared down the Soviet Bear. He made people proud to be Americans again. He made mistakes, Iran/Contra and the like.

He alos was one of the best public speakers. Acting no doubt helped this. Clinton was also in this mold, but with Reagan you really got the impression that he believed what he was telling you. I

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
OK all you non Americans... You have bitched and moaned about Bush so much I can hardly look at any thread that has anything to do with the man

-
......it must be something about him!

so let's ahve a positive thread about US presidents for once...

Who have you actually liked and why did you like him?

- Okey dokey....but are you sure you're going to like this?

IMO the top man in recent times has to be big Bill Clinton.

A genuinely charasmatic man (who, let's face it if he were able to stand today would totally wipe the floor with any other candidate) and one who has given the chance of peace in Northern Ireland such a massive chance, so massive a chance that it looks like (for all the problems) that they are going to be able to finish and settle it all once and for all very soon.

Above all else this is a huge towering achievement unmatched and way beyond the mere politicing of many of the holders of the office of President IMO.

An 800yr conflict many thought could never be reasonably sorted was help enormously by that man and many of us here in the UK understand this and have great gratitude to him for the help and efforts he made on all of our behalf. Few get even the chance to do so much. In my book he is a great man (and the whole Starr/republican attacks just seem even pettier and more absurd as time has gone on)

(IMO Reagan was a good communicator but he ushered in the current right-wing economic model of 'sod those not able'. He was also able to capitalise on the bankrupcy trends within the Soviet Union spotted back in Nixon's time.)

[edit on 18-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Hmmm, let's see...

I have a lot of admiration for Abraham Lincoln, of course. He preserved the Union and made sure that what was at that time the "great experiment" in democracy did not flounder. Also an excellent public speaker - his Gettysburg speech is an inspiration.

Theodore Roosevelt created more national parks and preserves than any Presidents before him. That's admirable.

Woodrow Wilson - he tried (unsuccessfully) to get France and Britain to agree to more lenient terms for Germany after WWI, so that the world would have a better shot of being at peace. Had France and Britain listened, Germany might not have fallen into the claws of Adolf Hitler.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt is a giant - a handicapped man who became the biggest symbol of strength and hope a country (and a world) in the turmoil of depression and war could hope for. A visionary who crafted the world after WWII - including the United Nations - and ironically died before he could see his work come to fruition.

Lyndon Johnson, for signing the civil rights act and declaring war on poverty.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
Hmmm, let's see...

I have a lot of admiration for Abraham Lincoln, of course. He preserved the Union and made sure that what was at that time the "great experiment" in democracy did not flounder. Also an excellent public speaker - his Gettysburg speech is an inspiration.

Actually Otts you come close. In a poll that was conducted in may 2003 the results were as follow.

Only Abraham Lincoln (chosen by 15%) and John F. Kennedy (13%) finished ahead of Clinton (11%) in the April poll, which asked Americans who was "the greatest" president. George W. Bush managed to tie Clinton for third place.

Ronald Reagan, a conservative icon, garnered 10% of the vote, followed by Franklin Roosevelt, George Washington, Harry Truman and Jimmy Carter. Bush's father, the 41st president, was chosen by just 2% of the respondents, tying with Theodore Roosevelt and Thomas Jefferson.

Clinton was considered the best president by 29% of 18- to 29-year-olds. Only 10% of that group picked Bush.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
- Okey dokey....but are you sure you're going to like this?

IMO the top man in recent times has to be big Bill Clinton.

You know, I was close to saying Clinton was off limits cause I knew every global liberal would go Monica on him, but I decided any positive comments to be, well, positive.

So how about it world?

Any of you guys like Republicans? Or do you just like the Dems (wouldn't be that shocked)?

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I was going to say Abe as well..... But, the I was going to add that he was shot!
It he was the most liked and shot, then what should we have done to the rest?......

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Nixon, for being scrupulously honest, using the US intelligence services only for the purposes for which they were strictly intended, never engaging in corrupt activity and being such an outstanding role model for the incumbent "president".

And for resigning in disgrace too.

[edit on 18-10-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
American Madman - as far as Republican Presidents go, I greatly admire Dwight Eisenhower. I also think that were it not for Watergate, Richard Nixon would be remembed for his accomplishments re disarmament (signing the SALT I treaty with Brezhnev) and China.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Franklin Delano Roosevelt & John F Kennedy.

Without a doubt.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

American Madman - as far as Republican Presidents go, I greatly admire Dwight Eisenhower. I also think that were it not for Watergate, Richard Nixon would be remembed for his accomplishments re disarmament (signing the SALT I treaty with Brezhnev) and China.

I agree on Nixon. Had Watergate not happened, he would have been a great president.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I have a thread on a similar topic...you can check it out below for my thoughts...I seem to recall it died b/c someone suggested Hitler...

The Good Guys - They Do Exist

Among some of my presidential replies...Carter, Reagan, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Jefferson

[edit on 10/18/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Hmm this is a tough question since there are alot of US presidents that I admire so I'll make a list.

1. Abe Lincoln

2. Bill Clinton
/shrug/ I dunno I just liked him.

3. JFK
Only reason he's not at #1 is because he started that whole Vietnam situation i think.(If it was another pres please correct me since US history isn't my strong point)

4. Jimmy Carter
A man of peace, I can always dig that.

5. and for number 5 all I can say is "I like Ike!"

[edit on 18-10-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
George Washington. Few folks remember he was offered a Kingship when he first took office. He turned it down to return to a simple farmer�s life. Perhaps the single greatest act by a president in our country�s short history.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
3. JFK
Only reason he's not at #1 is because he started that whole Vietnam situation i think.(If it was another pres please correct me since US history isn't my strong point)

Your US history is fine my friend.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Wow...good topic. Sad thing is I'm sitting here thinking about Presidents and their historical accomplishments and downfalls, and I really cannot think of one president that I like. The bad seems to overwhelm the good in most all cases from George Washington to Van Buren to Arthur to Bush. I know some presidents I would NOT choose to be in this list however:

1. Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt - because of the Iron Fist policy, Panama Canal debacle, and countless others...

2. Warren Harding - Teapot Dome, among countless others...

3. Richard Nixon - obviously.

Now, if I had to choose some of my favorites (and remain on topic
) I would have to say, and it pains me to say some of these:

1. Franklin Roosevelt

2. James Carter - ok, more for humanitarian reasons after his presidency

3. ???

Sorry, I guess I didn't contribute much here because I view most of them as tyrants or lame presidents. Personally, the bad outweighs the good in almost every case.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Jazzerman - here are some to add to that list...

Sadly, Ulysses Grant, although he was a glorious war commander, made a very poor President. It was said that his Secretary of State, the only straight and honest member of his cabinet, graced his administration "like a diamond graces the head of a toad".

Benjamin Harrison was also seen as a poor President - one who depleted the surplus carefully accumulated by Grover Cleveland.

Herbert Hoover was personally very charitable - he wrote personal cheques to families affected by the Depression when they wrote to him - but as a President, he was insensitive to the suffering of the American people. Among others, the episode where he had General McArthur raze the Hooverville that WWI veterans had erected in Washington D.C.

Jimmy Carter had the best intentions as President. Sadly, his administration, however driven by the best ideals, came shorts of expectations. He more than compensated, however, with his actions afterwards.

Another President I admire, by the way - and a Republican too: Gerald Ford. He made the very hard decision of pardoning Nixon because he knew a long trial would be a nightmare for America, as would seeing a former American President behind bars. He knew when he made the decision that it would probably cost him the Presidency in 1976, but he made it anyway. One has to admire that.

Ford also worked with both sides of Congress, especially when it came to crafting an energy policy for the country in 1975.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Jazzerman - here are some to add to that list...

Jimmy Carter had the best intentions as President. Sadly, his administration, however driven by the best ideals, came shorts of expectations. He more than compensated, however, with his actions afterwards.

I have always harbored reservations about Carter. I genuinely think the man is perhaps the most moral and upstanding of all Presidents, but like you pointed out, had an abysmal presidency. I have nothing but good things to say about the man post-Presidency and pre-Presidency though.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
My favorite president is a tie between

Teddy Roosevelt aand Andrew Jackson

I try to model my political outlook by the standards they set

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Franklin Roosevelt for history
and Bill Clinton in my lifetime

top topics

<<   2 >>

join