It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "failed" generation...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Yes. I am inherently awesome. Thank you for noticing.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I blame the parents for not disciplining their children, and setting the example of how to be a productive human being.

I say screw the kids, because they should have some common sense and rational thought processes without needing it jammed down their throats. You give a good example of the idiots walking out in the road. I swear I'm going to plow some kids over if they do pull that crap on me on wrong day.

You do not need to be taught how to be polite, it's common sense and generally makes things easier. Therefore it is the reasonable thing to do.

I don't think my perspective is one of ignorance. I know and observe many people with children. I counter by saying my perspective is one of unbiased observation.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

No attempt at taking a look at our age old education methods and scrutinizing THEM as the reason kids seem increasingly disinterested in it all...
reply to post by Sly1one

Let’s stop making excuses for laziness, apathy, a lack of motivation, disrespect for parents, teachers, laws, poor morals and scruples on previous generations. You and you alone control your attitude. Every person knows the difference between right and wrong, evil and good. To blame anyone for how you act is simply not taking responsibility for yourself.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I raised two by myself. I allways wanted them to do better than me and have a better life than I did. Except I draw the line here. Your not going to get all that at my exspense. Make your own path thru the woods, don't follow mine. Parents are mostly to blame for todays youth. Along with, Internet, Facebook, Texting, Sexting, Prescription meds for every damn ailment known to man and some un-known to man. Let kids fail, it's like life, we all aint winners. To learn how to win, you have to know how to lose with grace and dignity.

Life is what we make it. How a child turns out is anybodies guess. I have seen people I went to HS with. I mean the good ones in school, the ones that went on to college and got degree's, who now live on the streets addicted to whatever. Then Ive seen the one I went to school with that were true terrors. Who now have business's and employee's and do quite well in life. Why, because they were allowed to fail and learned some valuble lesson's in that failing. You learn the most from failure, not success.To be truly successful, failure has to play a part at some point in time.
edit on 17-10-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

The question is who is tolerating all this disrespectful and lazy behavior? Therein lies the problem.

What are the consequences? In the past few decades there have been fewer and fewer consequences and they've been less severe.

One argument for a return to some of the old methods of discipline. Nice will only get you so far.

Part of the problem is that modern parents want to be pals with their kids. That doesn't work.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm 35 and I feel where you're coming from because my mother says that my generation is lazy, selfish, etc... What I've come to realize is yes our parents were partly to blame for the state of the economy, and break down of society, but once I realized this I had to take charge of my own life. It's only so much that we can play the victim. For people under 35, you are adults now, and it's time that we all stand up, and stop whinning about crap and change things for the better. And voting for one magical dude this November aint the answer.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

wtf is the failed generation and the lazy generation??

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

while many young people are doing very well in their career and famillies, there is a significant number that are just scamming their way through life.

their parents pay for their most modern stupid phones, their cars, their education, hoping against all hope, that someday they will go to work and have a life.

many just crank up the hysteria 'till they get diagnozed and certified, medicated and collecting disability, food stamp, housing, etc.

the unemployment figures do not take under consideration that at least 25% of out of work young people would not do any work even if you aimed a machine gun at them.

and with food stamps and disability based on quack doctors prescribing meds, one can make a career out of not coping with anyting.

these kids will waste their lives texting and tweeting with other stealers of oxygen, meeting the other worthless members of their tribes on web sites.

to include these young people as needing work or out of work is not reality.

our society has offered them a free ride and they are embrassing their carrer as hopeless humans in need of assistance.

i live in the usa but i understand that it's a widespread problem elsewhere too.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
OP, I understand your post and agree with a lot of it.

I disagree, however, with your notions of today's educational system. As a teacher, I can attest to the oceans of change we are currently navigating through. I don't want to go off topic, so I will leave it there.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
OP, I understand your post and agree with a lot of it.

I disagree, however, with your notions of today's educational system. As a teacher, I can attest to the oceans of change we are currently navigating through. I don't want to go off topic, so I will leave it there.

Well if change is being made then I see that as a good thing so long as its trying to adapt to learning mediums and techniques that are more applicable in today modern world. I can really only attest to what I see and experience from my neck of the woods and unfortunately there isn't the money to invest in enough teachers let alone any type of modernization...

thanks for not trying to go off topic but this is kind of a subject that is pretty vast...and I think education is very relevant.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Yeah right this new generation is way better than the old ones. Back in the day it was all SHEEP everyone believed every word they was told nobody challenged the system. Today people are waking up to reality that this world is nothing but a big fat lie created by the past generations.

Doesn't matter if nowadays kids are lazy or whatever. MAN WAS BORN FREE. It's the passed generations that wish to enslave us and it's the passed generations that are teaching the new generation to be just like they was to keep the system a float. Just like the passed generations sought out to destroy the old religion (wicca/pagan) and replace it with a more controlling religion called christianity just to enslave people even more.

The normal human being sleeps about 9 hours out of the day ok we only have 15 hours left then you go to work for 8-12 hours. Your all slaves plain and simple. Life is very short and the majority of everyones lives is wasted trying to aquire meaningless paper. Then you get to retire and enjoy life as an old grumpy man that has worked his entire life. Don't blame the kids nowadays just because they don't want to be slaves for the rest of their lives.

Whats the point of life if I can't do what I want?

edit on 18-10-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I agree with education not adapting to what kids need nowadays. The kids I'm around nowadays either find school to be too easy or see it as a joke, as they can already see their future as being work 9-5 until they die of old age despite how well of an education you get. I know when I was little, I grew depressed for years because I was too smart and understood the social trap that we will have to endure, work until you die, personal happiness aside. If kids feel entitles to anything, they feel entitles to hope and joy, and they just aren't getting enough of pure joy from their future aspects. So they fail to try, as what's the point?

Even if kids don't necessarily know how to articulate these feelings, they damn well know what they are.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Look at generation x. They lived in the times of cheap energy, relative peace. A job for life. Easy access to the housing market, free education. The kids now have none of these things to look forward too, and people have the nerve to call them entitled and lazy. Normally members of generation x.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

What you want has nothing to do with life. You're a life support system for DNA. That's the harsh reality of it. But, since you're playing the role of genetic lifeboat? You might as well figure out something to do with all that time. And to do what you want? You're going to need money. Even if your parents are poised to leave you a gazillion dollars or have a trust fund set up for you... You're still going to need something to do 1/3 of the time to keep from atrophying physically and mentally. Might as well set a good example, make your mark, and try. Right?

Oh, and about people not challenging the system before this generation? Nonsense. We GOT here through the work of an endless stream of people challenging the system. To call them "sheeple"??? Open a history book. There are many names to learn that deserve respect.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Maybe (just maybe) 'my generation' is just fed up with the bull# all previous generations have installed...
i mean the world is friggin upside down !
maybe 50 years ago people where still dumb/fluoridated enough to take it all up the butt and smile...but i refuse ! (and many more of 'my generation' do)
this quote kinda sums it up for me

"Just look at us. Everything is backwards. Everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the mainstream media destroy information, and religion destroys spirituality." - Michael Ellner (David Icke ?!)

This machine deserves to be destroyed !
And where there is fire...i will carry gasoline !

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Fr3bzY

Killer plan!

And then?

~Heff

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

watch it burn and when the smoke settles rebuild

Earth 2.0 and all that...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Fr3bzY

You know what I don't like about the younger generation? You're uncivilized. Cavemen.

You're all tattoos and piercings and loud and alcoholism.

Signed,
The Older Generation

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Your looking for something to blame for this mess? Just get a garbage bag or wait for the karma

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I agree with you OP, and just don't understand the problem of others in this thread...

Maybe i just know the wrong kids but i hardly see any kids being nothing but apathetic lazy slobs.
Most people i know in their 30s-50s loath about how much they hate their job all day, then get home to just sit on the couch watching tv eating their fast food and junk food all night long....
... you know i was going to go on a long rant but i'll just sum up some things here -

Unlike popular belief, drug use has gone down since the last generation source , Its not this generations fault they have to deal with the cokehead dopefiends that the last created, and have to pay and deal with the handicapped children they produced because it was cool to do drugs.
The current generation doesn't have this awesome social security check and retirement to look forward to, even though they pay for it.

Its no longer a walk in the park to just go to school and get a job, high end jobs are not hiring, paying less, and do not want to train employees with little experience.
Its not their fault they can't be "workin since dey wur 14" (redneck oldman accent), its the fault of the last generation for not trusting them and regulations. Yes you can get a job at 14 in the states but you are not allowed to work but so long without a break, so no employers will hire them, its a waste, i don't blame them. They can work without breaks at 16, but they won't get a job unless they can drive, unless they are privileged to live near a place they can get a job they must wait longer, rules require you take a class, take a course, then hold a learners for 9 months i think? That means they will nearly be 17 at the minimal to even start working.

People are complaining about discipline... Am i missing something? I don't see how it has changed at all, except that teachers can't spank kids anymore, which if some teacher spanked my kid even if they did something i'd want to kick their ass, noone touches my kids but me.

There is talk about them being apathetic, in some aspects i've seen yes they don't care. They don't care that their world is in shambles and are letting it bring down their lives, but unlike the previous generation they seem to be much more caring and connected. You see more now kids hooking up with a girl in high school and actually staying with them and getting married and being trust worthy, unlike the previous were it was "cool" to have multiple girlfriends / boyfriends and sleep around, that just doesn't fly anymore. Yeah you hear about little 14 year olds getting knocked up, but that isn't the majority, lets think about the last generation who had most of their kids 18-22, that's just wrong that they say this generation is a bunch of whores and sluts when they were just as bad. Most of this generation don't even want kids, because they know its a tough responsibility and not a financially wise move.

... well i ended up ranting anyway, the list goes on and on, i think the older generation just believes they are something better, though i believe they are not the problem generation, the generation before them was, but for them to blame the youth for things they don't know and things that were not their decisions is obscure.

Last generation had to deal with the possible nuclear war, this generation has to deal with the global meltdown...

That being said, i don't want to put off i hate gen x or baby boomers, all have their good and bad people and none are better than the other, i just feel gen y just gets a bunch of crap that they don't deserve because of how the media portrays them and that older generations are jealous of their toys.

edit on 18-10-2012 by doom27 because: because

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by doom27
That being said, i don't want to put off i hate gen x or baby boomers, all have their good and bad people and none are better than the other, i just feel gen y just gets a bunch of crap that they don't deserve because of how the media portrays them and that older generations are jealous of their toys.

edit on 18-10-2012 by doom27 because: because

Awesome reply and I agree with most all of it...my rant was mostly to not BLAME anyone as much as ask for the condemning generation to take a look in the mirror...take responsibility for their own shortcomings and CONSIDER that it might have somehow lead, influenced, coerced, pushed, forced or whatever the newer generations in a direction that they don't agree with...

I guess I am tired of all of the judgments and criticisms of a generation that is learning, growing and of course making mistakes...from a generation that should honestly know better by now...they are the elders they are supposed to be the "wise" ones yet all we hear is constant dismissal, rejection, ridicule, etc...they can't get passed themselves enough to consider their roles in this all...they won't look in the mirror they just want to blame their children for the "problems" with the world and when their children and their children's children resist the negative criticism and judgements they refuse to change their approach because they perceive it as "weak".

They were the generation of beating doctrine into children with "discipline" and demanded respect and authority that must never be questioned lest ye get the stick, paddle, belt, or whatever other device of coercion...They think compromise is weakness, they think they lose their power and authority if they give an inch their kids will take a mile...I don't necessarily blame them because I'm sure that is what was beaten into them by their previous generations...I'm just asking for a little self reflection in trying understand where and why those beliefs come from and weather or not they are going to make anything better...

Obviously trash talking the new generation isn't getting through to them...I think they are so done with being scrutinized and criticized at every turn they are naturally responding with apathy...its a survival and coping mechanism for a world that is full of people that want to talk you down...not up...and you can't blame the kids because they know no better...its the responsibility of the adult to act like the adult...expecting youth to handle everything as an adult is lunacy and completely out of touch with reality...they have to grow to an adult through mistakes...which unfortunately our society is designed to keep people from making mistakes anymore...

I guess I went on rant mode again but that is why I put this in "Rant"...

edit on 18-10-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-10-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join