It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you "see" or "hear" when you think and/or dream?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jargonaut

I think I know what you're speaking of but when I experience that it is strangely enough, right before I fall asleep. Sometimes it feels like so many thoughts, ideas are zipping past my brain I cannot even catch one before its' gone and then I wonder wth was I just thinking? But it's gone already. I think it is part of the brain trying to get one last ' hoorah' before shutting down for the night ! But that 's only a guess.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NaeBabii

Nice thread.
I dream in colour i believe,i also hear the people and see the dream like a movie whereby i have to sometimes make moral decisions based on a crazy situation.And i nearly always do the right thing.Although i might add,i am far from being an Angel.
If i sleep for 30 seconds i will instantly dream so it's hard for me to tell how long i've been asleep as the dream could be pretty intense.
I've also and on many occasions became aware that i was dreaming and took control for a limited time,i also managed to do a "Carlos Castaneda,Don Juan trick" and told myself to look at my left hand whilst i was dreaming.

I have lucid dreamed many times and this usually happens when i wake up early and keep snoozing on and off.That's when i can take control of my dreams.

I do not think of the number 3 as an image but a thought that knows what the number 3 is but i can easily envisage a road sign falling over,not because i have actually seen it but because i have a half decent imagination.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by southbeach
So then it seems that having an imagination has nothing to do with the ability to "see" or "not see" numbers in the head.

Thanks!

I have a great imagination. The plot thickens as we unravel this mystery!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

What color is your sign, which way did it fall?

edit on 17-10-2012 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

When I access a memory I primarily perceive the memory in 2D. When I problem-solve I have difficulty visualizing in 3D, but can "sort of" get there if I imagine axes. (I speculate that I have difficlty perceiving in 3D while problem-solving because I must access memories that come to me in 2D.)

When I dream I perceive in 3D (sometimes vividly so) and experience sensations of emotion--much as if I were undergoing a conscious or non-dreaming experience. Also, the sensations of emotion I have experienced while dreaming vary in intensity. I would even say that some of the most intense sensations of emotion I have ever experienced occurred while I was dreaming. And I am maybe calling into question what experience means by linking it with past dreams I've had, but I cannot think of any other way to describe it other than to say I that I had an experience while dreaming.

One of the more interesting aspects about memory (in my opinion) is the physical structure from which a memory is allegedly accessed. I want to be cautious and not dig too deep toward controversy, but I think you and others may find this interesting:

And there is an insuperable problem with a sense of past and future. Take memory. It is typically seen as being "stored" as the effects of experience which leave enduring changes in, for example, the properties of synapses and consequently in circuitry in the nervous system. But when I "remember", I explicitly reach out of the present to something that is explicitly past. A synapse, being a physical structure, does not have anything other than its present state. It does not, as you and I do, reach temporally upstream from the effects of experience to the experience that brought about the effects. In other words, the sense of the past cannot exist in a physical system. This is consistent with the fact that the physics of time does not allow for tenses: Einstein called the distinction between past, present and future a "stubbornly persistent illusion".

preventdisease.com...

I apologize if someone else has already posted from this article. Frankly, I'm too lazy to read every post.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
cool thread. i am the same way, when i try to imagine something spinning faster and faster it eventually feels like the frames per second max out and it feels weird.

i also have vivid, terrifying dreams and often. i call em dreams cause i usually find them interesting, cept when i transformed into a child and accidently shot myself the other night, was afraid to sleep after that one.. lol

the matrix

edit on 17-10-2012 by christoph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

All of that, every different way, simultaneous at times, and often synaesthetic, if that describes it well enough.

edit on 18-10-2012 by Soloro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I will visualize anything as an object if prompted, or if given a word, it will spell itself out in my head as if I were writing it on a piece of paper, handwriting and all. I will also hear my own voice say it as if aloud. It's funny, usually it's just the thought of the object or word and a fuzzy grey or black background behind it, if that makes sense.

In dreams, I se in a full color spectrum as well as hear most of what's going on, depending if I don't want to see or hear something (I often become somewhat lucid and have a degree of control). Often parts will be blurry though, and sometimes I can't concentrate on things no matter how hard I try. Feeling in dreams is minimal, but I can imagine the feeling I suppose and thus emulate it while I sleep.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Dreams are proof that you don't need eyes to see!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
People who can do this are gifted.
you can learn to do this.

I study paganism and magic.
and this is one of the things you learn.

No I can not do it.
though I can see a jumble of images.
and when I am in bed with very little light
I can see things in the dark.
not clear or real. fussy.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Can you please rephrase the question? Maybe I do... whats significance does this have on my existence

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

Backwards,the sign was white and was octagonal shaped,it was standing on grass next to the kerb,there was a swish of air movement as it hit the grass and the stand was aluminum with drilled holes in it.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Nice,
Mine was yellow diamond road sign, silver back, wood post. I saw it from the side as it fell to the left, in slow motion. It fell below where I could see it land, I could not see the base of the post to determine why it fell.

Mine was set in a road side landscape with big trees lining the road on the left side.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I don't have a photographic memory and if i do dream i can see, feel, taste, touch, and i have emotions in the dream too. When i try to picture things in my head it sometimes is a blur and sometimes its like its right in front of me like i was in art class and i saw the picture in my head and it looked perfect but when i went to draw it the image faded away

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Cool thread, I am an active dreamer (to a point of being annoying at times.) Your first points are interesting to try and make a connection how the brain thinks and visualizes words like "garden" or "three" that can relate to how the brain is able dream. At least I think that's what you're getting at =)

When I think of 3 (and most everything) I can picture it 3d in my mind, can rotate, color etc. When you say garden, I think of my garden around my house and can 'fly' to any point in my mind and look it over.

As for my dreams, I dream in color, can think for myself (though mostly I feel like I am in a vessel like John Malkovich) and am riding out the plot of the dream. I can read most of the times in my dream, though not always because sometimes it does just come off as an "impression" in my mind after looking at some "text."

My dreams can also be in a series, feeling like I have an alternate life when I sleep sometimes. Recently I went a few months where I had a dream almost every night of being in a same "setting" (country/city), but with different events going on in each dream. I have had dreams in space as a warrior, dreams of being in the past, and countless "scary" dreams that no longer scare me unless it's something completely new and shocking.

I have had feelings in dreams from happy to sad to crying and panicked with sweats. I also am leaning to believe that deja vu (for me personally) comes from dreams I don't remember.. Or the kind of dream where you remember for the first 5 minutes after being awake and then forget. I think this is where deja vu comes from because I can vaguely remember it being in a dream, though I don't remember much anything of the rest of the dream (99% of the time.)

Thanks for this thread, dreams are something I am always interested in knowing more about because of how much I dream lol

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This thread got me asking everyone how they think. The majority of people I asked thought in the sae fashion as I did.

The most bizzare one I encountered however though was someone who told me when they thought of the number 3, it was like it was superimposed somewhere in their vision, so they could see everything around us, but the number 3 would just be somewhere, varying shapes and sizes and different positions.

I found that, really really odd.

I love the topic though, I wish there were more chances to bring this sort of topic up in daily conversations.

It's also sort of put me in the mood to try and be more consicous of things, try to relax my mind a bit

So thanks original poster to bring this about!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I was pretty hungry last night when I went to sleep, figuring whats the point eating this late. But I actually woke up twice from hunger pains , then had a dream about eating a nice picture perfect hamburger. It actually made my ended the hungry feeling and went on to have a good night sleep. I find it fascinating how the brain can be manipulated by something that happens in a dream and then exert a physical reaction (i.e. sweating , well-being, fear), even to the point where it hard to tell when the dream is over.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I'm going to elaborate on my different kinds of dream landscapes.

There are "grades" of dreams.

The first grade is seemingly meaningless, and not so vivid. I'm just going through the motions, and nothing spectacular is occurring.

The second grade of dream scape is where everything is stunningly vivid, and I can manipulate the environment. This would be "lucid dreaming". It's fun, but not the best, because once I sufficiently manipulate the setting, all lessons are over. It's just for funzies. Often times there is flying involved, exploring other worlds...things like this, but it's actually fairly limited compared to the next grade.

The third grade is highly symbolic, paradoxical, and often times multidimensional with layers within layers of meaning. What I mean by multidimensional is being able to hold simultaneous perspectives within the same dream scape.

For instance, I can be having a dream of an alien invasion, and simultaneously view the ship shooting lazers and spawning aliens from meteor tidbits from my POV on earth, while watching them detach and spew out from the mother ships above at the same time...following their decent and all.

The "layers within layers" are feeling impressions of tidbits from one sequence to the next, and each has... IDK basically like a synaesthetic feel to it where I can relate it all to each other in many ways all at once. . . if that makes any sense

I have the same as you when imagining things, except it's very rapid and hard to hold the objects steady. Just a stream of feeling impressions that have symbolic images related to them. It's not always, or even usually a concrete image of what the information is about, though if I focus hard enough I can make it so.

The first grade of dream is basically what happens when not much seems to be going on in my life, and stress levels are low. The second grade happens when I need a "hologram" to unload on, and have play time. The third grade is for when I've reached some sort of climax in my waking experiences, and need to push through to the next level of existence. I don't always conquer on the first go, but if not the dream will reoccur until I figure out the key to unlock the next level.

As for the act of remembering things in my environment, it really depends. Sometimes I will have a flash of the room from an above view, then as if a zooming in on the object, or a feel for where it is from the topside flash. Other times, usually when I'm deep in thought of something else, I will do the automatic style that your friend does, and kind of just be pulled towards an object and my hand will extend for it all the sudden, and then I realize that I have what I was looking for a moment earlier. . . eh, guess that sounds a little too weird...I think it looks weird to observers, too... oh well.
edit on 24-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join