It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you "see" or "hear" when you think and/or dream?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
What does the sign say about you? I love it! LOL!

I am so glad you guys are also interested in this. I thought it strange the person I was speaking with did not dream in color!

I am short on time right this moment, but later tonight, I will be gathering the answers to the questions and including them into the OP.

I cannot turn my internal dialogue off, and it does keep me up for hours at night while I lie there, trying to go to sleep.

My thought pattern when I try to sleep is also a bit strange... It will start I will be thinking about a Pool Table I saw on TV, the table top of said Pool Table, The balls on the pool table, Baseballs, the patterns on a baseball, footballs, the laces on a football, football games, who plays next Saturday, is there a football square at work, how many people entered, and it just goes on and on. Before I know it, hours have passed and I am still laying there awake.

Sometimes if I focus on one particular scenery, I can sometimes get to sleep. But often, imagining a scenery will sometimes lead to the above thought pattern starting.

So, how did I imagine my sign fall?

I imagined a speed limit sign, in a yard, with grass around, fall over into the street. Not a lot of extra details, but I did see the sign post, and the details on it, the number on the speed limit sign, the road it fell on to.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by VikingWarlord
reply to post by detachedindividual

I have a feeling a whole new field of psychology has just been discovered.
What does the sign say about you?

I'm sure someone has considered it, there's probably a thousand papers written by psychologists discussing the relevance of imagery already

Definitely interesting though. It makes me think of Deren Brown and how he "programs" people and can predict what they imagine or think based on the imagery he subliminally supplies.

For instance, he uses images in the foyer of a theatre where he's performing to push an idea onto the audience without them knowing it, then he supports that imagery when he's on stage too, reinforcing it. Finally he ties it all together in a way where he can seem to have almost read their minds or predicted the future.

So maybe, if you and I both looked at the same images without knowing it for an hour or so, then we were both asked to imagine something related to that, we might both come up with the same thing without knowing we'd been "programmed" to see it?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
They have studied Brain Waves and what you see, compared what to what your brain waves say you see.

This is a pretty interesting video.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NaeBabii

Good god!
They are getting close!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NaeBabii
What does the sign say about you? I love it! LOL!

I am so glad you guys are also interested in this. I thought it strange the person I was speaking with did not dream in color!

I am short on time right this moment, but later tonight, I will be gathering the answers to the questions and including them into the OP.

I cannot turn my internal dialogue off, and it does keep me up for hours at night while I lie there, trying to go to sleep.

My thought pattern when I try to sleep is also a bit strange... It will start I will be thinking about a Pool Table I saw on TV, the table top of said Pool Table, The balls on the pool table, Baseballs, the patterns on a baseball, footballs, the laces on a football, football games, who plays next Saturday, is there a football square at work, how many people entered, and it just goes on and on. Before I know it, hours have passed and I am still laying there awake.

Sometimes if I focus on one particular scenery, I can sometimes get to sleep. But often, imagining a scenery will sometimes lead to the above thought pattern starting.

So, how did I imagine my sign fall?

I imagined a speed limit sign, in a yard, with grass around, fall over into the street. Not a lot of extra details, but I did see the sign post, and the details on it, the number on the speed limit sign, the road it fell on to.

Very interesting!

Do you also have colour shows and 3D imagery when you're falling asleep?

This is something I experience every night, but I have never thought to ask anyone. I just assume that everyone has this when they are laying there trying to go to sleep, but this discussion has made me wonder how common it is.

If you can imagine pitch black, but then there are purple, green and blue clouds swirling around, moving in from the periphery, and you can control them too... that's what I see. I can zoom through them like a scene from Star Trek where they're moving through a "plasma cloud" or something like that (I'm not a Trekkie but that's the closest comparison I can think of lol). I can slow them down, distort them, make them move to my pulse. I can even create images within them, like people or structures. When they become clear like people or objects and not just clouds of colour I can create anything I like, almost like it's 3D modelling, with something there right in front of me. The colours are often the same though.

Anyone else have this?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Intresting pick. So dreams are in colors. I noticed when there were a birds brains were still seeing people.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I do have color flashes while I am trying to go to sleep. Sometimes they get very bright and I open my eyes to see if a light is on.

And they are getting close! Also, when they were watching different people, the brain still "saw" a similar person each time.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Alright I'll shooot..

As a spirit-consciousness which incarnated a human body/mind system we have full function over THE mind and body. We are not bodies, nor are we a mind.. we are a consciousness, an enitity inhabiting a body vessel with total controll over its functions, mentally and physically. The emotional system that binds with the body upon incarnating into the vessel, is YOU, the SPIRIT-consciousness, thus the human being consists of; Mind, body, emotion/feeling, and spirit.

Your thoughts can tend to be random, only a self aware consciousness (spirit) will have control and bliss over the mind and its random thoughts.. when you have the WILL to clear thoughts from invading your mental body, you are in a state of true awareness, true conscious being. With meditation and years of practise, you can achieve more and more control in functioning your mental body.

Some incarnates (spirit consciousness) already have control over their mental system, they can visualize, astral project, remote view, achive telekinesis and telepathy (the communication with mental images, mind-mind communication) and many other perks that come with the gift we call "Mind".

Other incarnates will never realize the power of their consciousness, to control the function of their minds, these individuals will have a focal point in their physical control over the body vessel. These people are easy to condition (societies ways of controlling your mind via conditioning ITS/THEIR version of what we call "reality").

But in your thread Nae, we are not concerned of those individuals, I am just giving the contrast so readers can understand that THEY (the spirit consciousness reading these words) will have more focus and control over their minds, body, or emotions .. a very self aware being like myself can have full control over the mind, body and their emotional systems. All this takes is self awareness, and the depletion of their fabricated realities.. plus LOTS of meditation, which really is only the quieting of the mental thoughts, and the absence of a physical vessel, staying in complete STILL AWARENESS.

For those who can visualize what they wish, and play around with it in their minds, as you have stated you can do in the OP.. imagine it as if you are at a kindergarden level when it comes to your mind. You have control a bit, you understand you can use the Mental system to do things without the physical system... as you play more with your mental, you come to realize that you can "Level up" in a sense, and use the mind in MANY different ways (things I listed in the 3rd paragraph) and beyond these capabilities!

The ONLY things holding any individual back from full functioning over the mind, body, and emotional system.. are these

1. Beliving you are the body with a mind, and not a spirit consciousness with full control over both
2. Conforming into socities standard views on reality..
3. Limiting your very being, by beliving things are impossible or "fantasy"
4. Not acknowledging your true potential and power as a spirit experiencing a short, and illusionary third dimensional realm of existence..

So Naebabii, what you have is a gift. The fact that you are beyond the "begginner level" in terms of control over your mind, is something you should be proud of! People will go a lifetime beliving this reality is nothing more then solid matter and our minds are nothing more then a brain at work .. -_-

Now you can take this information and apply it into your reality, giving you a BIG advantage mentally.

Has anyone heard the phrase "mind over matter" ? Well lets change that silly human phrase and remake a new one

"consciousness over anything"

Being SELF-AWARE that you are an entity controlling a mind/body vessel, is the biggest advantage you will have in life. You can now work on the potential of body and mind, and all the perks that come with incarnating into a human mind/body vessel

I hope this isnt too much for the average reader.. it might be.. but people, always remember one thing; You incarnated here to experience this reality, how its like to go from spirit body into a lower dense, mind/body reality. Life is what you make of it, you can fabricate it, you can deny it, you can accept it, you can go beyond your physical and mental expectations.. of course things take time, dicipline, intent, ambition and the Will to do whatever it is you want!

Thanks for sharing

Take care all,

~ Love is an art
edit on 16-10-2012 by LoveisanArt because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2012 by LoveisanArt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
When I'm awake, I see and hear things pretty much normally, I guess. When I'm dreaming, however, it's another story entirely.

We then got on the subject of dreaming. When I dream, I "hear" the people in my dream as well as "see" them, as if I were "watching" and "listening" to a full color, surround sound movie.

I have studied and practiced lucid dreaming for years, and my dreams are full length movies, full of color, sounds, and smells, just as many others have stated. One of the tricks to lucid dreaming is to look at a clock or a watch, and see if it has the correct time. Same with writing, looking to see if the characters are meaningful.

I have a problem though. Often, but not exclusively, my dreams are about real life, real situations, and completely normal as far as one's life can go. Then, I'll be doing something, and wham, get hit with a sense of deja vu. I realize I had previously dreamed about that scenario.

The problem is, if a problem at all, is that I know what the people are going to say, or how the situation will resolve. I'm sure others will admit to this as well.

So I'm left to consider whether the dream state is just another phase of consciousness. What is the link?

I'll take the reductionist approach, and state that neural pathways are nothing more than a series of electrochemical sodium and potassium ion gates that open and close rapidly. I'll add that the brain never sleeps, and constantly consumes the equivalent in electrochemical energy of a small light bulb. Since the brain never sleeps, does our sub-consciousness also stay awake, and process random thoughts, as is the current understanding of the wake-sleep model? Or, perhaps, our consciousness is more directly controlled by our own, for lack of a better word, soul?

I know these concepts border on the metaphysical, and this thread is in dreams, so I apologize for the topical drift. Regardless, it's a fascinating topic. Unfortunately, I tend to stay out of the metaphysics forum due to all the "noise", and honestly, I prefer to quantify everything in scientific terms.

I'm very suspect that there is a "quantum interface" between our waking life and dreamstate, but that would be another thread entirely.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You're a lucid dreamer? Lucky... I wish I could lucid dream. Jessica Alba and Natalie Portman would never get any rest.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
By the way I am one of the individuals who only sees blackness as well.. I know what everything is and I percive it with thought, without the visualization. My partner is the opposite she can visualize anything, as well as travel in her mind (we are interdimensional beings, we just dont know it yet.. see "astral realm for further curiousity).

If I was a level 3 in the mental system, my partner would be a level 10 lol

Potential..potential..potential

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
my dreams have colour and sound. the dreamland is my very favourite place. i revisit the same dreamscapes time after time.

- "is all we see or seem but a dream within a dream?" (Edgar Allen Poe).

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This reminds me of synesthesia.

An individual who has the ability to taste words, see words in color, or hear sounds from phrases.
These people tend to have higher than normal brain waves consisting of odd patterns of recognition.

In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme → color synesthesia or color-graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored, while in ordinal linguistic personification, numbers, days of the week and months of the year evoke personalities

On an interesting side note, I have synesthesia.

I see months in color, each month has a different feeling as well. Such as January is dark blue and I see a starry clear sky when I say the word. While May is pink and I see white birds.

Years have color too, 1979 is a buttercream yellow, 1992 is soft white.
Also when I think of years, some feel further away than others. 2007 feels further away than 2003 and so on.

Sounds to me like you might have a mild form of synesthesia.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
There is so much I want to address, but I will be replying with my full thoughts shortly.

I quickly wanted to address the Synthesia, would this be also some smells have tastes? There are some smells that I can taste, and I know it sounds odd, but I always correlated it to a chemical in the smell.

And some numbers have colors. Example: The number 3 is always yellow, unless I change it.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I'm fairly certain you're an ENFP just like me.

I've done all of this since I can remember.

We can pretty much do anything that interests us.

Make the years count.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Many if not all of my dreams often seem as real to me in the dream as in reality. If not, then I may realize I'm dreaming and can alter reality or reality within the dream.

I once dreamed or maybe a few times of being telepathically contacted within my dreams of an individual living in this galaxy on another planet. The alien shared images via telepathy of its or his home planet. I believe the images might have been more grayish than full color. Actually my memory of the images is a bit fuzzy to me now. Almost all my dreams have color in them like real life unless it is somewhat dark as it is at nighttime outside.

I did have one dream where I was communicating with an extremely advanced thinking AI from the future. There were no images or structures in this dream. I believe it was a strange dream discussing a few traits of humans.

Usually my dreams are like movies and I'm in the action or switching back and forth watching the action. Sometimes it seems like my consciousness is popping in and out of people. When I view scenes it is almost always out of human eyes except a few rare occasions.

I'll add when I dreamed of traveling in the astral dimension, I do not remember being able to move objects in this dimension. The dream I remember didn't last long because I was exploring inside somebody's house and a woman saw me as a ghost and screamed a horrible scream as if she was terrified. I immediately woke up. That scream was bad enough to scare a ghost.

edit on 16/10/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I read a book recetly about Dyslexics, as this runs in my family. I found it very interesting and illuminating (not the naughty illuminati). The Gift of Dyslexia.

Basically Dyslexics are people whose brain is wired through their visual cortex first, so everything that is experienced is 'seen' first and that means your hearing too. And other senses but many of these people have learnt to filter these 'seen' senses, as they realise many people around them aren't 'seeing' things like they are.

So what this means is that synthesia may well be the norm and the less visual and the less you experience synthesia, the less normal you are.
Interesting eh? As dyslexics are considered to be somewhat disabled, they might well be what we should all be experiencing.
I am a stealth dyslexic, I went under the radar as I made up rules for the silly school way and got top grades in primary school, where I had been written off as too slow.

I have experienced the third paragraph in LOVEISANART post, but over time I have lost a lot of abilities.

A few years ago I was watching a TV program on Indian buildings and suddenly I recognised a Hindu temple, I knew it well, as I had played there as a child with other children. But in my adult state I had changed it to a building covered in mist, in the UK, in my memory. I have videoed the program.

School was set up so many people would lose these abilities, as it teaches words and sequential ideas are more important than pictures. In fact a brain that thinks in pictures, is about 10,000 times faster than a word orientated brain. That's why it takes a visual child to start to overtake at 9yrs, up till then that child will seem slow. This is how it was for me. And these children NEED to daydream to assimilate what they have just learnt.

In fact the book I read goes on to say that once a dyslexic stops trying to conform to socieities ideals, they are usually gifted, even in finance and maths, if they can come up with a picture or an analogy.

That is why I home educate my 2 girls (one of whom is doing an arts and science degree with Open University), as both are visual learners.

The best thing you could ever do for your kids is to do an online test to see how their brain processes their incoming senses, ie Visual, Auditory or Kinaesthetic. Usually you have a main one and a secondary one, which is your back up.

A quick tip before I go to bed, I too have a mind that will not shut down at night. So I make it think of blackness, not the word, not the colour, I make it 'see' black.
It took about 3-6 days for my brain to give in, but now all I have to do is show it blackness and it grudgingly goes offline to dreamland.
Sometimes I see random shapes all joined in a panorama, in red, green and yellow and sometimes blue. No one I know, sees this just before going to sleep. Does anyone else?

Which is where I should be going now, as it is now 3.30am.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Yellow is my favorite color. I don't associate it with the number three. Are you trying to correlate chromatography with dreams? If so, there is a plausible connection, but I'll let you describe it.

The "colors" others are referring to are perhaps residual retinal imprints. Colors seen throughout the day, relaxing as the conscious mind tends to lean towards sleep.

I see them as well, but lapse quickly into visual "reproductions" (using the term loosely) of other scenarios, other people, at other times, drawn in randomly, for the sake of the topic, without focus. It's true, I let my mind wander at night, seeking, not defining anything, and often I find myself in that "window", eyes closed, with a scene presented before me. I have no idea why my mind produces these images of other people, in real scenarios, so I chalk it up to lucid dreaming, knowing someday I MAY experience a particular dream in real life.

I'm way outside of my comfort zone, lol, and I may be way off.
(Couldn't resist, OP!)

I count it a blessing, this curse, to see other's lives in my own thoughts. Drifting before sleep, you see things, often in a narrow lens, of what appears to be real life events. From there, it gets personal, and truly outside the comfort zone. I do prefer a rational explanation.

Here's another question for all the readers of this thread:

Have you ever flown in your dreams? Flying, like soaring?

I started by flying in the dark, and would hit a solid wall, and BZZZT, would wake up immediately in a cold sweat. Flying scared the crap out of me at first. Over time, I would find myself leaping over mountains, scared crazy, adrenalin rushing, not flying, but leaping, and soaring. The green mountains below. I'd land on my feet, and leap off again, waking up sometime during the process. It's hard to describe unless you've tried it.

Just curious.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This is a question i have had for a long time. It dawned on me when me and a friend were rearranging their living room.

I was asked what i thought of having the couch against a certain wall. Try as i might i could not visualize the couch on that wall. They apparently could envision the entire living room in different configurations.

When i thought about it, i could visualize picking the couch up, moving one end, even tipping it over. As long as it stayed in the same spot i could see all sorts of things. Move it to another area of the room and i was lost, just couldn't see it.

I have known people that can do math really fast in their head. I am good at math, but need a pen and paper.

I think the moral of the story is that everybody does think differently, everyone's brain is not wired the same.

Very interesting stuff though, i cant wait to try some of the OP's examples with some friends.

DC

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
for three- nothing
for garden- word and picture of garden

When I read, I also speed read and I never actually read it when it says "he said.." or "she replied."
But my brain sees they are there and I just know its there.

and if I am reading fast enough, I also don't actually "read" anything.. my brain sees the word and knows it. I never sit down and read syllable by syllable unless it is something that I am trying to purposely read word for word, for example, for added comprehension.

When I dream, it is in full colour, often vividness down to grains of sand and all senses are present, especially touch, but not usually smell.
edit on 16-10-2012 by smilesmcgee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join