Do you "see" or "hear" when you think and/or dream?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

They are called hypnogogic dreams, a term I learned on this site actually. Sometimes I wish I could remember mine to paint them later

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon
Right before I fall asleep, I sometimes think I "hear" things, and I will jerk awake rather quickly for nothing or no one being there. Hypnagogic sounds are another one of those great mental mysteries!

reply to post by VikingWarlord
I think many people may dream in color, and may not recall dreaming in color. I also think those of us who are more aware of the realism in our dreams notice and recall the colors.

reply to post by AriesJedi
Kudos for your overcoming your "disability"! And yes, I spoke of the colors before falling asleep a few posts back.

If I am only laying here, not focusing, not thinking, I will see colors floating. The colors range, and sometimes get very bright. When focusing, I imagine a scenery. When thinking, my mind rambles. I never thought of training my brain to see black to go to sleep. I will have to try that, it will take some practice, but after the blackness is usually when the colors will start. I can only compare this experience to "pressing on your closed eyes".

reply to post by Druid42
No, I am referring more to Grapheme-Color Synesthesia. When I say or think of the number 3, I "see" a balloon shaped number three in yellow in my head.

A specific color is not assigned with every letter, number, word or picture. Sometimes the word, or letter/number, is in black, but then I can easily change it to any shape, color, or style while I am thinking about it. Regardless of the color, I "see" an image in my head no matter what I am talking/thinking about. I "see" some letters and words in my head while I am typing, this has always helped my spelling. I can see the word and know if it spelled right, or not, by seeing it written in my head.

I have never flown in my dreams... but I "fall" almost every night. (Hypnic Jerk?) I may be way off...

reply to post by xDeadcowx
Please let me know your findings!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NaeBabii

Not only do I "see" in my dreams, but there is a distinct atmosphere in each one...sometimes a disturbing feeling, and other times joyous, and warm feeling (such as when I fly in my dreams). When my "real" day carries on, sometimes my dream that I have forgotten, comes reeling back to me, although sometimes in bits and pieces. This occurs from experiencing that same feeling in "real" life, when sometimes a word, action, or place will spark a memory of my dream. As for finding lost things, I automatically retrace my steps using my photographic memory. Sometimes I am not immediately successful, but if I persist in searching I usually win! Actually the key to my success is an obsessive style of persistance.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
My dreams are always in color and I can hear very well in them. I have extremely vivid dreams. Everything is real in my dreams. Sometimes it feels like I am in an alternate universe.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I do both seeing and hearing..

My dreams are extremely vivid, I can remember down to what color or type shoes someone is wearing in a dream, I remember very well...I actually still recall vivid details of dreams I had as a toddler....when I dream its a movie basically and I'm walking around with the camera so to speak, rarely I see myself...

As for thinking, or day dreaming....I tend to zone out or shift my eyes upwards and see images, voices play out again like a movie....I have this horrible habbit of acting out scenarios repeatedly in my head as well..

I think this ability to see or hear vividly in dreams stems from strong imaginations.....I was the youngest and I always had rules placed on me, I was alone 90% of the time so I would transform my room into a pirates cove, jungle, a city....also I would create friends to socialize with and it was as if everything was real.....

Fast forward to now, I have two young kids and we played Treasure Island the other day, I couldn't believe how easy it was to fall back into my imagination after not really using it in that way for many years.
edit on 16-10-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)
edit on 17-10-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I believe sounds your physical body is hearing while you sleep can sometimes be incorporated into the fictional content of the dream you are experiencing. I also believe that if you "view" or "hear" something in a dream, the same part of your brain is active as if you were experiencing that in the waking world, even though the dream itself is little more than a training exercise.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by NaeBabii.........
I would love to read about how you "see", "think" and dream? Is it similar to the way I (or the other party) see, think and dream?

Or, do you have a different way completely?

This is very interesting.

I don't have a photographic memory. You stated that you often remember indirect things by recalling images that're stored in your mind of past events. This is not how my memory works, most of the time. Right now, I can remember looking at the CNN website and there was a breaking news field at the top and the box was yellow. Just recalled that now. I can remember various bits of information about the things I saw on the screen. But honestly, I'm faintly remembering things I directly looked at or focused on, not indirect things. It's not photographic.

I have had "dream images". When I am half-asleep I will sometimes see images cast onto my vision. It's literally like seeing a photograph. It's always very interesting, but if I focus on it it fades away and I become more conscious. If I continue focusing I'll fully wake up. One time I saw a guy on a bed with his remote aimed at the TV. It looked like it was in a highrise apartment somewhere at night. I can often remember seeing scrambled words and sentences and numbers this way. Sometimes they make sense, sometimes they don't. Things are almost always garbled. It's like my brain is trying to make sense of randomness and forces order onto it.

If I close my eyes and image a number I can sometimes see it roughly, but I think it's more a case of seeing it in the random dark. I mostly see nothing. It's nothing at all like a photograph.

I have heard voices when I am half-asleep too. A lot like the dream images, but it's rare for me to hear voices or sounds this way. I'm unsure if I hear in my dreams, but I remember what's said. For example, I had a dream where I was in a bathroom with my brother and heard a guy on the radio talking. At one point, he said, "If all the doors are closed then you'll only find one door open." The feeling I had in the dream was that he was saying most of the doors between the haves and the have nots are closed. I remember that he was ranting about the poor and the rich, about economy and greed and about how power corrupts freedom because of the nature of man. I'm sure some of what he said was garbled, but this is how I remember it. I wrote this dream down and this is why I remember any of it right now. This has been the case in a number of other dreams.

I think that drugs can induce some of these things. But I know there's a anti-drug thing in the rules for these forums. I don't know specifically about it, only had a drug class in college.

I've learned through my dreams that there's an inner world inside our mind. People who're ignorant of it can mistake it for spiritual experiences. The brain is an amazing biological machine.

I believe that great artists of history have used this potential in our mind. I don't know if they used drugs or not. Maybe they went for a few days without sleep? I think there's definitely something to it. Basically, when you get to know the mind what you see is that it's first and foremost a creator. The brain can lift the conscious filters you've imposed on yourself and take you to places you'd never go consciously. It's a creative potential that I think has value in art if it can be tapped into.

(i think that our mind tries to mimic reality in a haphazard way... to predict it. it's sort of like empathy and how the mind mirrors other people, except it's trying to mirror reality.)
edit on 17-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
i see and hear everything in great detail and in color, i have massive dreams that play out like movies/nightmares. i have even awoke to pools of sweat and heart beating crazy being on some kind of chase /car race type thing.
and when i think to myself in my head i can def. hear my voice just like talking out loud, but, not i guess heh

only thing i dont know/remember is if ive smelled things, pretty sure i havent, but very vivid dreams

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
three is green to me

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

This is a CRAZY-AWESOME topic!!

I totally am a visual dreamer, whether it be while I'm asleep or performing some mundane task at work! I'm also an artist, so I imagine that has a great deal to do with it ( or it has a great deal to do with me being an artist
). When I visualized your number 3, I decided to turn it into a gigantic mountain of a 3 and climb it with rope hooks! I can manipulate anything I see and add any details I want to in my mind.
As far as dreams go, there seems to be a few set of themes that have been ongoing throughout the entirety of my life. I dream in full color, often lucidly, and often times I am learning or perfecting some dream skill like flying, fighting, shooting fire and ice balls, breathing under water, and I even teleported once!
When I'm awake (usually at work) I spend most of my time imagining different kinds of characters to design or play movie like scenarios in my head, full of colors and sounds (which can actually be a huge freaking distraction. I literally am that person who gets their head stuck in the clouds!). I can see a persons face in real life and change it in my head to have any features or expression I want.
A big one with me though, is sound. I regret not having learned to play an instrument (at least not yet) because I believe I could do really well with it. I often imagine huge compositions in my head that sometimes run for up to an hour or more with all different kinds of instruments and melodies. I can imagine instrument sounds like violins, guitars, drums, and even turntables with insane clarity in my mind.
I think it's a pretty nifty thing to be able to do, re-imagining reality in your head, and the more a person does it, the better they become at it. My flying dreams started out years ago with me barely being able to hop off the ground, to me being able to leap great distances, to finally being able to travel through the air like a jet! But I actually had to practice it IN my dreams!
There are other little peculiar things with my imagining sounds and sights though. Like another poster here, I can't really shut it off. Everything I do is either accompanied by an image, music or inner dialogue. Sometimes it is completely independent of my own thoughts, like a quick burst of highly detailed flashes of some person I've never met, or some seemingly disjointed segment of someone's conversation. The latter used to actually keep me awake some nights, but these days, it rarely happens unless I actually think about it.
Anyway, that's just my two bits.

P.S. This thread rocks!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I See things when I think of them, kinda in my forehead. well that's where I imagine they are.

It's different with different things though, like your examples of 3 and garden.

I see a 3 which will always look different (colours font etc). When I think of Garden, I actually see a garden, rather than the word, If I imagine the word garden, I get the spelling as a big word, like the number 3, Colours fonts etc change as with the number 3.

I can imagine things in my head like you describe, like things falling over, this again seems to happen in my forehead. However when I try to change what I see, I really struggle. like if I start to imagine a sign falling over backwards at the side of the road, I find it really hard to then imagine the same sign falling over in a different direction, or in a different location.

I always have struggled with this, it made me ponder for quite a while if i'm not fully in control of my thoughts, its like i'm fighting against something and it generally wins.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
This is a very interesting topic that I have thought much about in the past.

Like you, I thought the way I see things in my head was how everyone did it, up until I saw a program on tv a few years ago about an autistic man who is a math genious and sees all numbers in colours.

When I think of numbers and letters they all have designated colours that never change, unfortunately it has done absolutely nothing for my math skills. I am more language and art oriented. Thinking of the number three shows it to me in my mind and it is always green. Most words also have colours if I focus on a single word as well as months, days, years, names and people I know. I see days in my mind as part of a continuing timeline where I visualise the day with adjoining days as part of a week from left to right, this is the same with months and years.

I do not have a photographic memory, I'm terrible at remembering names and numbers like pin codes, dates and phone numbers but I always recognise faces I have seen in the past although I can often not see them in my mind if the person is not around.

The word garden is a light grey, but if I think of a garden I see a scene of a garden with grass, trees etc.

Thinking of a sign falling over I see a triangular warning sign, white with a red edge, on a pole on the side of a country road with trees and grassy hills behind it. I also hear the sound of the sign hitting the road.

My dreams are always very vivid, There is sound, colour, smell, emotions and touch. I've been able to wake myself up from nightmares many times when they were too bad, but I can rarely change what is going on while I'm dreaming.

Just this morning i woke up from a nightmare in which a person was chasing me. I felt the brown suede boots on my feet hitting the concrete, the too large white shirt fluttering around me, the cold wind against my body as I was running, intense fear as I heard the voice of the man coming from behind me as well as my own voice as I yelled back.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Conceptulization thinking of thoughts and images is a personal experience it can be different for everyone. The same with dreaming. Why try to explain a unique experience which is yours alone.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I've had discussions about differences in thought styles with some of my friends, who are sign language interpreters like myself. My one friend, a top interpreter, sees anything you say to her, so I had to learn to be careful about saying anything that could be perceived as sexual, such as mentioning a nudist camp. She sees a picture of everything you say. I was amazed to learn this.

I, on the other hand, see very little in my thoughts and dreams. What I see is very hazy or impressionistic, if anything. I have a voice in my head that 'talks' to me like many people have, and I cannot shut it off (I never knew some people could!). I get almost no kinestheic impressions. What I am very good at is symbol processing. I majored in math and computer science and am good at foreign languages. It is a bit odd that I interpret in a visual language but I am not really that visual. I read insatiably, though. When I watch a movie or play, I remember the plot more than the visuals. I sometimes have difficlty distinguishing faces, which is not good when you're in a people profession.

The number 3 is just an impression, an abstract concept. I didn't see anything when the sign was mentioned. I do not see imagery on waking or going to sleep. I am a little jealous of you visual thinkers!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard
In my dreams I see in color, hear and sometimes feel touch or emotions.

I picture most things in my head, I day dream pretty much none stop all day lol, I can loose 20 minutes just sitting there imaining scenarios and it just builds into a little movie

what this poster said.

letters and numbers have an emotional connection more than visual. I know what a garden feels like i know what a 3 feels like. since all our realities are based on memories of emotions during the first experience of the association with the symbol 3 or garden thats how i associate those things.

NOW dreams are another kettle of fish. Full HD even better than HD. think Holodeck real. sight sound texture emotion and thats when im NOT lucid. when im lucid in my dreams the dream reality takes on a sense of hyper reality. Words simply cant explain it.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
when i think i just hear the thoughts in my voice. i sometimes visualize but not always. if remembering something i remember the scene as a picture in my mind. if i'm thinking new thoughts i don't have a clear picture (it's not blank but not super clear unless i really want to think about the image)..... it's like i'm talking to myself in my head.

dreams.... i have several every night. i don't always remember them. it depends on how well i slept or how interesting the dream was. always color, always sound, i feel things, definitely have emotions. sometimes it's very realistic and sometimes not so much. if a dream is going in a bad direction i can sometimes know i'm dreaming and wake myself up by making a sound or moving. sometimes i can decide in a dream to change it if it's not a nightmare but i don't like what's going on. nightmares i usually wake up from. sometimes that's spontaneous and sometimes i have to wake myself up.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Dreaming is a connection process in the holographic realm of your Jungian existence. There is an efficient parallel free association process that is beyond and out of control of the critical mind. The problem is that since dreaming is not under conscious control it is vulnerable to programming much the way a holographic computer would be.

See examples from the works of programmers like Marjorie Cameron Parsons Kimmel. If your dream states can be programmed than you really are just an automaton. This is where I tend to agree with the Scientologists that recreational drugs that take the critical mind out of the loop for too long are a bad thing.

If Fantasy is experienced as a J. R. R. Tolkien journey "there and back" then the return trip back that correlates the dream is as important as the uncorrelated imagery in the dream. You can anchor your dreams prior to going into the dream state in a way that makes correlation at the end much easier.

The realization that alien forces compete to shape the Jungian sea that dreams originate from means your sublime selection process may not be under your control.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Interesting.....
My experience with numbers, (and why I think I may not be exactly "normal"...even tho I DENY the diagnosis...LOL) is that I attach "personalities" and sex to them...male/female identities...especially when I was a kid...I am in my mid 40's now and this has faded somewhat...but I used to assign these characteristics towards numbers all the time....5 is male.....6 is female....they are brother and sister...etc, etc....and I can "feel" their "personalities"....now THAT is strange, huh....
This ability or desire or whatever...to assign these things to numbers has definitely faded.....

As for dreaming...I find it odd that I hardly EVER dream of people I know in my waking life....almost always I dream of people I intimately know in my dream, yet have never known in real life! I too, hear what is being said in my head...telepathically....

and I too can only turn the internal dialogue off in my head through listening to or performing music....

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I dream in colour always have i speak, smell and feel,
I even died once in a dream ,i was stabbed i could feel the warmth
of the blood running down the side of my torso even the blade enter me.
The funny thing about the dream was i was exiting the toilet at my old high
school but i was in my late 20s or 30 something

And i know most people think that if you die in your dreams you die.
How did i know i died you say?
Well as i bled out in my dream it all went black and the dream ended
and then i woke up.

I also had a pain in my side for a few hours

Yes i have vivid dreams like most men i have had many wet dreams
And i dont mean wetting the bed, and i dont mean to be rude so sorry if it affends
anyone

about 20 years ago ithink, I had one dream that was the sound of a gun shot
which lasted for about nine months , I would be nodding off and bang id jump out
of my skin ,id lose count how many times this happend before i was able to get
some sleep, and then as i got used to it before i lost the plot it just stopped.
edit on 17/10/2012 by maryhinge because: spell check and extra dialog

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cauliflower
Dreaming is a connection process in the holographic realm of your Jungian existence. There is an efficient parallel free association process that is beyond and out of control of the critical mind. The problem is that since dreaming is not under conscious control it is vulnerable to programming much the way a holographic computer would be.

See examples from the works of programmers like Marjorie Cameron Parsons Kimmel. If your dream states can be programmed than you really are just an automaton. This is where I tend to agree with the Scientologists that recreational drugs that take the critical mind out of the loop for too long are a bad thing.

If Fantasy is experienced as a J. R. R. Tolkien journey "there and back" then the return trip back that correlates the dream is as important as the uncorrelated imagery in the dream. You can anchor your dreams prior to going into the dream state in a way that makes correlation at the end much easier.

The realization that alien forces compete to shape the Jungian sea that dreams originate from means your sublime selection process may not be under your control.

This doesnt hold water when you throw lucid dreaming into the mix. Total dream control puts the keyboard back in your own hands, question is now are you a program hacking your own program?

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join