It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOMEONE HELP.. I am having trouble raising my 4 month old Puppy..

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tony9802

1st. Forum about pets. It's being looked into I think...don't quote me on that. Always new stuff coming down the pipeline and pets have been huge here lately...for some reason.

As for the ingredients.

My dogs get full portions of raw meat like Buffalo and Beef, or chicken.

They a raw egg with it once a day as well. They also eat a variety of veggies. NO corn, wheat or sugars. Terrible for dogs.

If you look at the link I provided they offer some great info about what not to buy. Here's what you CAN buy.

www.rawfeddogs.net...
www.squidoo.com...

I use a lot of recipes from those places. Again, stay away from I listed earlier, it will cut your dog's life span in half.

Follow the simple steps here and your dog will be happier and healthier for it.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Maybe you should take puppy to see a dog hypnosis. They can be real helpful, they helped my dog with his sleeping disorder.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Nothing you said says anything that your puppy is anything but normal, its all just normal behavior and play. And yes they will try to not listen to you at when a puppy, just you know when playing with him make sure that you once in a while show him who is boss till he gets it, nothing rough and no hitting just you know its a puppy play with it and if it gets to aggressive and you don't like it, get a little aggressive yourself and push it around or just grab it by the back of the neck and pull and tug a little or just hold him down or in the air to show him that if you wanted to you could. Used to do that with my dog, just pick her up by the back of the neck and just hold her in the air then when i put her down she would mellow out a little.

I had a pit bull and they like to bite things. Shes dead now, but when she was a puppy if you took her anywhere she would always be playful and bite at the leash string and pull on it, like you said and it would become a tug of war competition while walking, when she was young I sort of let her do that. So when she grew up she still did that only now she had some weight behind her and it was a workout just walking her, it was however just basically the way we played and did not bother me all that much, even when she was full grown she would still play bite me if we playing or messing around. I wouldn't recommend you do it like I did, first because it takes a lot of trust, and second even when she was full grown she knew I could pick her up and toss her if I wanted to, so if you don't like it just make sure your dog knows it and does not get used to it from an early age, and really that's all there is to it.

The only real place were I had trouble or she would not listen to me was when she would be stuck in the house for long periods of time, and I would take her to the park, and if there were any other dogs especially if they were other pit bulls they would run together and go into there pack mode. Then sometimes when you whistled or called they tend to not listen to you unless you raise your voice and change your tone, and even then sometimes she would just turn her head look at me and go back to running around. But other then that, dogs are not that hard to train or raise if you put the time into it.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Good luck! puppys are a bundle of fun

Reward all good behavior even if that's 1 second that he turns away and breaks the bad moment,
I have a GM/husky.

Do your home work on the 2 breeds also as this will help you understand and adjust your training with him,
Also be the leader at all times, Dont let your pup pull any of them toys of you, Simple pick them up and put it away untill you decided to play or when the game is over, This will all help you new furry to understand,

If you can it would be good to get him in to some puppy class one that focuses on positive rewards,

Yes absolutely, a puppy course that will train in methods and patterns of rewards systems, that would certainly be appropriate but I'm not quite sure I can do that at this time, I'll have to wait a little bit but not too long as the training should occur when they're little; Always reward all good behavior, be in charge at all times, of him and of the toys.. ok, Even though these things seem obvious simply hearing it be advised repeatedly is actually very helpful- the individual or entity that needs the training is actually also me, since it's actually more like a mode or a way of living that you have to transform yourself and allow to become in order to successfully raise these little critters.. It's entirely a new lifestyle and I think it's interesting how the individual/owner becomes parent and boss all at once; In many ways it's a remarkable experience. a great growing experience for me as well;
Fascinating they are these furry friends of ours!
edit on 17-10-2012 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Maybe you should take puppy to see a dog hypnosis. They can be real helpful, they helped my dog with his sleeping disorder.

Well that certainly sounds like an interesting option.. never crossed my mind but certainly something to study and look into;

"And he answered; Legion, for we are many;" Now there's a quote from a formidable personage and opponent.. Stay clear of that guy, huh?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I'm also wondering if anyone has ever worked with muzzles and how successful that might be.. I've heard very good things about them and that their effectiveness is very good.. There could be some down sides though, and I'm wondering what the negative effects could be.. I guess so long as they are worn intermittently that they are relatively appropriate effective training devices.. still looking into it though, but I'll have one very soon, so I'm going to for sure try the muzzle option shortly..

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Lot's of patience, and get that puppy some rawhide chews. Mine loved to get these hard peanut butter flavored chews from petsmart at that age. Just remember they are like children you have to be firm and patient with them.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
Lot's of patience, and get that puppy some rawhide chews. Mine loved to get these hard peanut butter flavored chews from petsmart at that age. Just remember they are like children you have to be firm and patient with them.

Nice, thank you.. Giulio is kind of picky about the chews, but I'm hanging in there..Working with the Gentle Leader a little bit too, but I need to be very careful, because things can go wrong with the GL; Otherwise my next cautious step is going to be a little muzzle; we'll see what happens..
edit on 23-10-2012 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

Originally posted by mnshooter
You need to teach him that what he is doing is not acceptable. If he is biting too hard, grab him around the nose and squeeze his gums into his teeth. Do it just hard enough to hurt a little, but not too hard. Make sure every time he does this he gets the negative reinforcement. He will get it very soon.

Dogs just need to know what is right and wrong. If he does right praise him and pet him and give him treats. If he does wrong tell him "No!" in a stern voice.

Dont use pain to train a dog or even your kids. They need to understand why what they are doing is wrong.

Also avoid using franchise hamburger 'treats'. You wouldn't feed mcdonalds to your kids, would you? If so, remove onions before doing so, if you are giving it to the dog. There are some good non china made training treats which dogs love, such as charlee treats (TJ's). They are 3 cals and (most) all dogs love these. A small $3 bag will last weeks if not months.

That your dog is nibbling on you is a bit of a blessing. Some will nibble furniture to shreds, as soon as you are not in their sight. Sounds like it's a gesture of affection, but you have control, in so many ways.

You can distance yourself from him, during the biting, by using your leash/arm, and getting him to sit while doing so, while on walks. Use the stern voice. Everything must stop, like it's the end of the world, when he does the biting. As soon as you get a gesture of compliance, he gets a treat. btw, not all dogs recognize the sit command. Some just don't like to sit. It's degrading to certain castes. They'll crawl up on your chest before putting their bottom on a yucky sidewalk.

edit on 24-10-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join