It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Age = Satanism?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Hey ATS'ers

I posed this question in the Metaphysics forum under the title "Is Oneness A Lie?" and while it spawned some interesting conversations it veered quickly off topic. I am hoping this post, more patiently thought out, will produce a different result. PLEASE READ IT ALL BEFORE YOU REPLY.

First off, full disclosure - While I am not a "new agey" person in identification (hang in those circles, dress, act, etc) I am very much interested in meditation, ancient healing practices such as reiki and qigong, believe in the power of crystals, stones and nature, read the ancient hermetic, gnostic, alchemical texts and believe that the, for lack of a better word, ancient path, of the shaman, druid, indigenous people, etc is the right path to be walking for me.

At one point I believed fully in the David Icke, Jordan Maxwell, William Cooper, etc theories on how all Occultists are evil, secret societies are filled with NWO Freemason Satanists that are trying to control the world with their symbols and signs.

Now, while I do not doubt the existence of a nefarious group behind the scenes that are always attempting world domination, my research has shown that the symbols and signs that they use are much more ancient than any freemason organization and that their power comes from the intent of the user, not so much in the symbol it's self.

However, I have seen much propaganda lately aimed at the so-called "new age" as being agents of satan. the facts being spread are that meditation is a channel to demons, anything occult is negative and demonic, the power of positive thought is just a way to keep people docile and dumb, entheogens are a way to keep people docile and channeled to evil spirits, connecting to nature is connecting to the devil, believing in your own universal consciousness means you believe "you are god" and anyone who mentioned "the light" or "oneness" is automatically suspect of being an agent of satan. the reason being is that in Occult Sciences everything is reversed so the light really means the dark. I have been seeing this on sites that I normally visit and was surprised by this. It's not just the religious zealots who normally say this stuff.

Now I don't doubt that there is a controlled group here, there is in any sub-culture and the new age is no different. I'm not talking about the yoga fitness people that read the secret and watch oprah and think they have it all figured out. They are just followers and are not thinking for themselves. If you have not heard of Eckankar, I suggest you google it, it is scary and will be eating up people looking for spiritual guidance with no direction.

I want to ask YOU, people who belong to organizations, secret or not, and have researched and studied these things thoroughly in their lives. What do you make of this? Where is this coming from? Why now? And do you feel there is any validity in what is being said? As I pride myself in being an open minded critical thinker, I like to explore all options and challenge my beliefs, without this, there is no growth. I am sure most of you feel the same.

I am confident in my travels, these practices have brought me nothing but joy in my life but I am just a little confused by this new phenomenon and would love to know what you think about it.

If you would like an example of what I am talking about, this is a well presented lecture on youtube called "The UN and the Occult Agenda"

www.youtube.com...

Thanks and Peace...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
New Age = Moronism.

Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

Dear wrdwzrd,

I think the reason it is being discussed so much now is because the average person did not use to understand how involved the powers that be are into the occult. The presidents and the candidates have always made sure that they appear to be mainstream Christians, even the Clintons; but, then we find out that Hillary used to have discussions with the ghost of Eleanor Roosevelt and the Reagans were into astrology. The Bush's of course were members of Skull and Bones. When the average person sees the world's elites wearing robes and burning a person in effigy before a giant statue of Baal (Bohemian Grove), it is a surprise to them.

Growing up I was told all about Benjamin Franklin and his inventions, I thought he was this really nice, hardworking and intelligent young man. Nobody bothered talking about how he was a member of the Hellfire Club or how he was an exhibitionist. When people talked about the space program, they never explained how one of the leaders of the program (Mr. Parsons) was a Satanist and performed ceremonies before each launch. The average person was not aware of all of the Masonic symbolism was all around them. We used to believe that our politicians and leaders were actually like the average American citizen (Christian for most of our history).

I am a Christian and have studied secret societies for years, even before I became a Christian I was interested in what goes on behind the scenes. Even so, the first time I saw the video of the ceremonies at the Bohemian Grove, I was pretty surprised. The truth is that most so called "New Agers" are not Satanists and even many who claim to be Luciferians or Satanists do not see Satan as a person as much as they see him as a concept. New Age does not equal Satanist; however, it does reject the Christian concept of God and ofter accepts the Christian concept of Satan.

On the other hand, consider how all Christians are also lumped together. It is the same thing. When people find that I am a Christian, they immediately assume that I hate gays, worship Santa Clause and believe in violence against non-believers or that I think I should track down Christians and "save" them against their will. There is plenty of stupidity and bigotry against anyone who believes in any greater being then ourselves.

By the way, I gave you a star and a flag just because I think you asked a fair question. I did not however read your original thread.
edit on 14-10-2012 by AQuestion because: Clarification

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I think the main thing about attributing satan to anything is to realize where the idea of satan comes from.

The Bible tells us that Jesus is the truth. New age teachings try to find truth outside of this, when the truth is Jesus.

So to say that New Agers are agents of Satan would be true, if your perspective is from a Biblical standpoint.

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
2 John 1:10-11

Someone who isn't with Jesus is following something false, and Satan is the father of lies and falsehoods.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OnetwistedMOFO

how so?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It could be because certain people are fearful of the idea of a god in charge - one with whom people can connect - so they engage in disinformation saying "attempting" that connection will lead to satan and evil.

It could be because as you go through the process you encounter alot of heavy, ugly, fearful stuff in your own mind - so maybe that's why it's associated with the "satanic".

It could be because there is a place in everyone's mind where you "know" god, but our egos are so fearful of us going there and losing control that they've developed the idea that indulging in such is "satanism".

Some new age stuff truly is garbage, but there are paths that can help, which I'm sure you know if you've explored the realm.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

is rejecting the Christian concept of God a bad thing? Other than the obvious in that it would be to Christians...

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

I'm going to respond with a very broad answer that gives the general state of fear today when it comes to these issues.

Firstly, there is very little "new" about "new age". Virtually all aspects are ancient. Now I'm also assuming you are using the term "new age" in the same way that Christians use the word "Pagan" so I'm going to answer accordingly.

The Abrahamic faiths have been successful in all but completely stomping out all other western faiths and traditions. The very thought of any of these vestiges returning as an accepted thing threatens and scares them. They already know there is a shift coming and they also know that their way is disintegrating. Holding on for dear life means accusing all others of evil.

Of course, there is more to it but I believe that sums it up in a nutshell.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia

It could be because there is a place in everyone's mind where you "know" god, but our egos are so fearful of us going there and losing control that they've developed the idea that indulging in such is "satanism".

Some new age stuff truly is garbage, but there are paths that can help, which I'm sure you know if you've explored the realm.

Interesting idea and yes I agree, most new age stuff is truly garbage although I am speaking more about the ancient teachings than crystal necklaces and hot yoga...the "real" teachings for lack of a better word

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by wrdwzrd

I'm going to respond with a very broad answer that gives the general state of fear today when it comes to these issues.

Firstly, there is very little "new" about "new age". Virtually all aspects are ancient. Now I'm also assuming you are using the term "new age" in the same way that Christians use the word "Pagan" so I'm going to answer accordingly.

The Abrahamic faiths have been successful in all but completely stomping out all other western faiths and traditions. The very thought of any of these vestiges returning as an accepted thing threatens and scares them. They already know there is a shift coming and they also know that their way is disintegrating. Holding on for dear life means accusing all others of evil.

Of course, there is more to it but I believe that sums it up in a nutshell.

Yes, that is definitely my take as well although I am curious to hear other interpretations. Thanks for the feedback!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Religion is on its way out and they feel their control slipping away. The taboos of the past they have used for control are losing their power so they have stepped up the attacks. Occult just means hidden nothing more the negative or dark connotations are religious constructs to scare people into obedience to their brand of religionism

Religion has held power based on fear for centuries and still holds a large number of people in their prisons of fear however as it is slipping away they will fight to the bitter end to keep their fear induced control
edit on 14-10-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Religion will never disappear. Man is naturally a spiritual animal. To deny spirituality and/or faith is to deny a part of us.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrdwzrd
reply to post by AQuestion

is rejecting the Christian concept of God a bad thing? Other than the obvious in that it would be to Christians...

Dear wrdwzrd,

The "Christian" concept of God is not the same for all who call themselves Christians. There is much division over what exactly God is like. I reject the concept of many who call themselves Christians. There is a large movement known as prosperity preaching, these people view God as a super Santa Clause and they believe if they say the right words and act the right way they will be given presents and be made rich, that is not my understanding of the bible and I reject it. The bible says that if we accept Christ (God's forgiveness and salvation) and then actually live it, life will only get harder. Jesus told us to be in service to one another and that the one who was the most in service on this earth would be the closest to God in heaven.

As for your question. Of course I believe rejecting God is a bad thing; but, we have to define what we are saying and it was not what you originally asked. You asked why all new agers were viewed as Satanists and I responded; but, you did not respond to what I said and changed the subject. The one unforgivable sin is the rejection of the Holy Spirit, the spirit that loves God with all it's heart and others as we love ourselves. I do believe that selfishness is evil and reject the teaching of Ayn Rand. I also reject the idea that we should be able to control others through rituals and ceremonies and occult practices, that is selfishness. Do you reject selfishness?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I have posted this video before and I will post it again because it is relevant.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I can see where this fear has come from as religion franchises do not like to see their flock wander into other pastures. As long it's members remains within the construct of a particular like mindedness, that group retains control and power over their followers.

Methods involved with the new age involve quieting the mind and one can become aware of the various programs that have been installed into the auric field. The new age can lead one to discover their own strength within and allow one to shed the layers of illusion and fear projected upon us. The ultimate goal of any religion is to both feed upon energies of it's members and to keep them from empowering themselves.

Ultimately for one to truly reach their potential they must take responsibility for their soul.
edit on 14-10-2012 by starshift because: add

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSigMason
reply to post by hawkiye

Religion will never disappear. Man is naturally a spiritual animal. To deny spirituality and/or faith is to deny a part of us.

Perhaps man will change, ..... the day he realizes religion and spirituality are two different things.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Originally posted by KSigMason
reply to post by hawkiye

Perhaps man will change, ..... the day he realizes religion and spirituality are two different things.

Dear IntastellBurst,

How do you define the two and what do you see as the difference between them?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

the day he realizes religion and spirituality are two different things

Amen to that!

Religion - man made
Spirituality - god made

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The term 'new age' has become a term derogative term for different 'opposing' groups...

Figure this...
It is so-called christians (you know, the ones who attend the saturday or sunday 'rituals'...complete with symbolic machinations of all sorts) that rally hardest and longest against those they call 'new agers'...those satanic hordes that christians are so quick to damn to hell...

It all comes from a feeling of inadequacy and guilt...and an ingrained inability to take responsibility for thier own actions, and those of other so-called christ-like ones...so let's create the reason for the displacement of inadequacy and guilt...the devil, satan...pretty simple really...

What does 'new age' mean, anyway?

A99

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

While many Christians believe this simply because they were told to, and are parroting their pastors, there is some merit to this view point, imo. In my studies of the occult and new age movements, I have noticed one defining characteristic that raised red flags for me. In many of these practices and philosophies, religions and ideas the world over are permissible (except one). Believing Christ is the only Son of God is NOT permissible and is incompatible with New Age philosophy. Some New Age philosophies try to get around this by watering down the idea of Christ into notions of "Christ Consciousness" (The notion that we are ALL "sons of God"), thereby removing the entire purpose of Christ's sacrifice on the cross.

That, to me, is the biggest red flag (of many). While I don't make it a habit to tell other people they are going to hell or that their religious or spiritual philosophies are "wrong", my own research and reading has lead me to be extremely wary of New Age philosophy.

It all sounds lovely and tolerant, but it should be noted there is only one idea they are not tolerant of. That should raise serious questions, imo.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join