It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover new type of dying star never before seen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
www.businessinsider.com...

The researchers think that this amazing sight, caught by the new Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array — a telescope composed of 66 antennas located in Chile's Atacama desert — was created by the the big red giant when it began expelling large amounts of it's insides, a part of its dying breath. They modeled the solar wind, based on the data from the telescope, and the release of particles seems to have happened about 1,800 years ago and lasted probably 200 years, a press alert from Nature said. Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

A very interesting image, I have never seen anything like this before. I wander if this is a one off or at least rare, or this happens quite often to these types of stars when they die.

It is thought to be caused by an unseen binary star that orbits the systems primary, which is a dying red giant,

What do you great minds of ATS think about this never before seen phenomenon?
edit on 10-10-2012 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Beautiful picture but why assume it has never been seen? Just because you have never heard of it or seen it before doesn't mean no one else has. Why not describe it as rare? I think your title is misleading and worded as such for shock value. Are you an astronomer or do you just believe and repeat anything a person with "scientist" attached to their name says.

I'm a doctor and I have some "miracle" pills for you to take.
edit on 10/10/2012 by Allegorical because: Added the last three sentences.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Very cool...

Is this dying star another example of the golden ratio in nature?

edit on 10/10/2012 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Thank you for posting Inverslyproportional,

I think it is yet another one of the unimaginable amount of amazing mind blowing things that happen in our universe.

Reminds me of the same thing you see in the movie The Fountain.

The Rat.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Wow! What a beautiful picture.

This goes to show just how little we know in the grand scheme of things.

Good find OP! S&F

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allegorical
Beautiful picture but why assume it has never been seen?

The image below is of a newly discovered, and utterly surprising, spiral structure in the material around the red giant star R Sculptoris, 780 light-years from Earth. Scientists used to think the gassy red giant star was just a shell with splotchy innards, but the incredible new picture has revealed its spiral nature. Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

Also other sources I was reading about it on said the same thing, as this is the first time we have ever seen any such stellar phenomena. It wasnt said for "shock value" it was said because it is true.

did you even read any of the linked material?
edit on 10-10-2012 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Beautiful picture but why assume it has never been seen? Just because you have never heard of it or seen it before doesn't mean no one else has. Why not describe it as rare?

Huh?

It hasn't been seen before.

"We always expected ALMA to provide us with a new view of the Universe, but to be discovering unexpected new things already, with one of the first sets of observations is truly exciting."

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If the average person could get a idea of how big the universe actually is, you'd be able to understand just how many different things are possible. Including life.
edit on 10-10-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

I had not even thought about that possibility, very good thought. I dont have any software on this pc to investigate it, though I bet it will probably follow it now that I think about it.

Does anyone have the software to test this idea out?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
There are plenty of things that you don't know about but other humans do. We don't have computer records from ancient civilizations. The Mayans have pictures of people with helmets in flying machines painted on cave walls from THOUSANDS of years before the airplane was "invented". I've even read of DNA strands and all the planets in our solar system being found painted on cave walls. The pyramids alone should make you question the "never been seen" hype line.

It's all been seen AND done before.
edit on 10/10/2012 by Allegorical because: The word "have" in we don't have.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Allegorical

Unless you have proof that it has been discovered before then your argument is kinda pointless, no?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Agreed! sounds to me like he just cant suck it up and admit he threw that one out there without reading the links first, now he is trying to rationalize instead of moving on.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Unless you have proof that it has been discovered before then your argument is kinda pointless, no?

So you have proof that it's "never been seen" before? If an EMP sends us back to the Stone Age tonight all of our information will be lost. Then in a million years someone else will be the "first" one to see this all over again

I guess the people in THIS thread don't count huh?

edit on 10/10/2012 by Allegorical because: Added link.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

So you have proof that it's "never been seen" before? If an EMP sends us back to the Stone Age tonight all of our information will be lost. Then in a million years someone else will be the "first" one to see this all over again

According to the article the star is 1800 light years away. A million years ago it would be impossible to have observed this because a) we didn't have the technology and b)it wouldn't have exploded yet, so what's your point?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Oh I thought you meant a planetary nebula,
which I see, pretty much everyday.
But this is a dying star that's being shaped
by it's unseen companion star.
So nope, I have never seen that before.
S&F

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

He is just trolling, as his replys all follow the net trolls hand book, as evidenced by his complete refusal to back up his outrageous claims with any knid of proof, yet still keeps harping away, because he either 1) has some unknown grudge against my thread? Or 2) has some unknown reason to think that man has already observed everything in the universe or 3) is bored and trolling to troll.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

So you have proof that it's "never been seen" before?

You have it backwards: so you have proof that it has been seen before? Or do we have to take your unsubstantiated tales as fact?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

his replys all follow the net trolls hand book, as evidenced by his complete refusal to back up his outrageous claims with any knid of proof, yet still keeps harping away

Hmmm so you're saying that ATS has a substantial troll population?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Did I ever say that I did have evidence that it hadn't? All I'm saying is that there has been no evidence found to assume it has, so why assume?

Either way, this is the first time humans have seen it so your argument is not relevant.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Did you not click the link I provided. Here is the LINK again.

Now apologize and star every post that I've contributed to your thread. I seriously hope you actually learn something from this. Insulting me by calling me a troll because I don't agree with you is unacceptable behavior. Especially now that I turned out to be right. Different color same exact thing.
edit on 10/10/2012 by Allegorical because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join