It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should all live in an RV

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Know why?

It's not an apartment. I hate living in a place where someone can just barge in whenever they want, or they can tell you "You know what? You don't live here anymore."

Same as living in a rented house or trailer. I like houses and trailers more than apts, but they still, more often than not, don't belong to you. You're living on someone else's property. They can kick you out whenever. You're under their rules, and under their mercy.

I hate living under a lease, under so many bills, so much red tape...

Most people do.

Hell, even if you purchase property, the government can take it away from you. They do it all the time.

And honestly, I don't see it as "ownership" if you constantly have to pay the government to KEEP your so-called ownership of the property. You're renting it from them.

I don't like the idea of trying to stay in one spot, have a cozy clean home, work a 9-5 job while we struggle to pay the rent and bills, even though our home is NOT ours at all...

In fact, I don't like DOING it. I don't like someone telling me how many people I can have over, if I can have pets, if I'm allowed to make noise, when I'm allowed to move out...

I've done it nearly all my life, and honestly, I'm sick of it.

I've lived in an RV once before, and it was awesome. When the lot owners underwent new management, they became nazis with their rules... but you know what we did? We moved the RV to another location. Kept our little home, with a cheap place to park.

Not to mention, during a "bugging-out" scenario, you can take your house with you. Can't beat that.

A lot of people say they want a stable home where they can raise a family... and some people have a home where they keep a farm or garden.

People who produce, and who are NOT the government, I say, more power to you. Keep it up. You don't need an RV. People need fruits, veggies, and meat to live.

People who want to raise a family, I suppose it depends on your intentions.

Personally, I would love to raise a family in an RV. Not a huge family, of course. But, to live more simply, less confined, and always on the move, it would be an adventure.

My kids would be home schooled anyway, so there would be no need for us to be tied down anywhere.

And, frankly, I think all kids should be home schooled, what with the brainwashing and vaccines in the schools now... I wouldn't trust my kids with anyone but close family and friends.

Call me paranoid.

I don't believe in stability. Adventure is the way to go.

I learned from a young age that a "stable home" can't really happen. I've never lived in one place longer than two years.

And I've never wanted to.

I was happiest when I was homeless.

Getting off the bus from school at my mom's work, knowing I wasn't tied down to a house, that I didn't have a curfew, or anywhere in particular that I had to be... knowing I could just walk all over town, play at a park, jump in a pool at some apartment complex, go look at books or browse the web at the library...

It was awesome.

I felt something that I've never felt before then, and I haven't felt since then.

Free.
edit on 10-10-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: Nonya dayum business

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I couldn't live in an RV year round. When it hits into the minuses the propane freezes up - no heat. As well, water lines and septic would be frozen solid. The holding tank would literally be a frozen poopsicle.

I have a 30 foot tow behind camper sitting on a seasonal site. I don't use it from October to May.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Unless you own the land, you will always depend on an owner of property.

Sounds to me like you are kidding yourself and just want a permanent holiday.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

It doesn't get as cold here. I was in an RV during winter... we got plug-in heaters. It was all fine.

The water had to be running, just a little bit, to keep it from freezing up... but I wouldn't mind the cold at all.

Just a preference I guess.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I wouldn't kid about the way I want to live my life.

Even as a property owner, you have to pay the government to own the property... and that's AFTER you pay half a lifetime worth of money to buy the property in the first place.

What I'm saying is, you can never really own anything without the threat of someone taking it from you, be it a landlord or the government.

In an RV, you can live on the run. That's fun, challenging, and educational.
edit on 10-10-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: of stupid EFFING typos

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Unless you own the land, you will always depend on an owner of property.

Sounds to me like you are kidding yourself and just want a permanent holiday.
You never own any friggin land. If that were so, you would have to pay taxes on ''your'' land for the rest of your life. Didn't you know that?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I suppose there are pros and cons with any and any type of accommodation. I personally wouldn't live in an RV, unless it was absolutely gigantic and for something that size you need a not so tiny amount of coin, and if you don't then you could only buy what can be described as a shed on wheels, or get an RV on finance in which case you don't own it until alot of years and money have gone by.

This is just my thoughts and personally i'v only ever lived in one for two weeks when i was eleven, for a holiday, in winter.....

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Wow I was so excited by your headline, I've been saying this for years and finally a person who agrees with me

I have a dream of selling the house, giving up the job and spending the rest of my life travelling around the world living in an RV, working for cash in hand whenever necessary, experiencing this amazing planet we have... Then everyone brings me down to earth with talk about healthcare & pensions and stuff

But, shouldn't my dream be what life is really all about?

Part of me thinks ''sod the pension''. Who wants to have had a mundane life working your butt off just to make sure you can pay the bills for your residential home when you're 80 years old?

I wonder if I'd rather die painfully and, god forbid, even lonely, in the back of an RV, having had an amazing life not being a slave to the system and instead living life to the full....
edit on 10-10-2012 by paradisepurple because: Gr.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

Even as a property owner, you have to pay the government to own the property... and that's AFTER you pay half a lifetime worth of money to buy the property in the first place.

Oh I do, do I? You know so little about so little.

I pay NOBODY to own my property and if it's half a lifetimes worth that I paid then it's a damn short life.

I pay taxes for the land and taxes for habitation. They are small compared to what I get in return.

Taxes are paid for your RV on the fuel you use, the roads you use and lots more besides. The big difference is, your RV will end up on a scrap heap after a few years and my house will still be standing long after I'm gone.

In an RV, you can live on the run. That's fun, challenging, and educational.

"I bloody hate pikeys"!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Can't have a library with a few hundred books in an RV.

Can't have your own computer room.

It's too small.

And it can be stolen when you're in a diner.

It can't go off road if you like going off road.

Gas guzzler.

Can't stock up on food for the winter.

Can't have a family and put down roots.

Can't fit on small roads.

Have to tow extra vehicles.

Small uncomfortable bed.

Tiny bathroom with no bathtub.

No swimming pool.

Might not be able to have satellite TV or the internet, depending upon location.

Sorry, but i much prefer a home. I want a big house with several rooms in it so I can have a good library and a good computer room all to myself.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Look into the 'tiny house' movement which includes RV style (on trailers) tiny houses of around 100 SF and up.

And while I'm a book lover too, if you have a laptop and access to the internet, you have access to every book ever written, sooner or later for free. It's the Library of Congress on wheels, and then some.

Here in the Pacific NW, south of the 45th parallel, cold is not much of a problem unless you're at altitude and there are many people camping on BLM land for free. No land taxes.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Ugh, will you stop getting offended by my opinions? To ME, it IS half a lifetime worth of money. My friends and I aren't exactly financially stable middle class people.

How can you tell me I "know so little" when you can't even crack your mind open enough to try to understand where I'm coming from?

My POINT is, you can't really own land without the threat of some officials coming to take it from you. If they want it, they'll just take it. The hell with your ownership of the property. They don't care.

I want to live free, and on the move. When my RV breaks, guess what? Dip into my savings and get a new one. They don't cost half as much as a house.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
Ugh, will you stop getting offended by my opinions?

Who's offended? I offered perspective, gave you my opinion and you can't accept it.

....and btw, if you're going to say this:

To ME, it IS half a lifetime worth of money.

Don't say THIS in the first place (my emphasis in bold):

Even as a property owner, you have to pay the government to own the property.. and that's AFTER you pay half a lifetime worth of money to buy the property in the first place.

So please don't stereotype and lump everyone together in your boat.

My friends and I aren't exactly financially stable middle class people.

I'm nowhere near being one of the "financially stable middle class people" either, I just know the value of things that matter so I don't have to be.

How can you tell me I "know so little" when you can't even crack your mind open enough to try to understand where I'm coming from?

I can say that because you sound young and inexperienced in life and the world.

My POINT is, you can't really own land without the threat of some officials coming to take it from you. If they want it, they'll just take it. The hell with your ownership of the property. They don't care.

There you go again, ranting about a world you assume applies to everyone and everywhere.

I want to live free, and on the move. When my RV breaks, guess what? Dip into my savings and get a new one. They don't cost half as much as a house.

I bet my house costs less than any RV you end up in....lol, bought and paid for and a HOME with utilities, land, space, nice wood heating, barn, old wine production room and stables, garage, workshop, vegetable garden, outbuildings, etc etc. So you go and get your RV, and when you run out of money because you can't find anyone to hire a drifter and you become jealous of those who have security and a house don't come crying to us.

cheers and 'bon voyage'!
edit on 11/10/2012 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

The best part of an RV is pumping out your own poop every few days.

Worst part is pumping out other peoples....

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Actually LOVE the idea and researched it in great detail. Just biding time to find the right rig. That being said..balance would be key. Fair weather months would be ideal. Winter months would be for parking, and I don't mean "boondocking".
I love the idea of traveling all spring, summer and early fall. But to me, winter is the time to put down roots and just hibernate.
My fiancee and I had great debates over the cost effectiveness of both sides. Hence where the "balance" needed to come into play. He's well traveled all over North America. Me..not so much. So the wanderlust is my issue to deal with. Would I happily give it all up and hit the road? In a heartbeat.
I agree with no point in working my whole life for stuff I'll never take with me. However many years I have left, I'd like to make the best of, not be a slave to society.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

now THIS is a post

worthy of 1000 Flags and posts..

and I completely agree, and you got me on your last sentence..

thx

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Can't have a library with a few hundred books in an RV.

Can't have your own computer room.

It's too small.

And it can be stolen when you're in a diner.

It can't go off road if you like going off road.

Gas guzzler.

Can't stock up on food for the winter.

Can't have a family and put down roots.

Can't fit on small roads.

Have to tow extra vehicles.

Small uncomfortable bed.

Tiny bathroom with no bathtub.

No swimming pool.

Might not be able to have satellite TV or the internet, depending upon location.

Sorry, but i much prefer a home. I want a big house with several rooms in it so I can have a good library and a good computer room all to myself.

and

good

luck paying for it.. if you can, w/o the threat of local/state/government taking it for w/e reason they deem..

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

because...

trolls will be trolls..

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

It sounds like you have had many experiences in your life that have made you bitter. I can completely relate. I too at one time thought throwing in the towel of societies demands and doing whatever I wanted was a viable option that made perfect sense to me. Still somewhat feel like if push came to shove I wouldn't hesitate. If society says "zig" I wanna shout "zag". But please don't confuse full time RV lifestyle with freedom, and no rules.
I did a lot of research of those that are able to do it full time. You are not getting away from any of the responsibilities you mentioned, you are simply trading them for a different set.
Don't like landlords telling you what to do? Think campground owners are any different?You have to hook up every once and awhile. Can't always boondock, assuming you can find somewhere to do it.
Don't want the landlord knocking on your door telling you to pay up or leave? Campgrounds want money too, and police will kick you out of parking in most places. If your RV is an eyesore and anyone suspects you are not a tourist but are living in it...they want you out of their sight. Making money is an issue in and of itself. Casual employment is almost impossible to find. Full timers are most often work campers, who in return for free camping, work at the campgrounds doing maintenance and other duties. In that circumstance, you are parked..from May till October, catering to those weekend warriors who have a permanent home base to go back to.
The cost factor alone of vehicle maintenance, plus fuel, is enough of a downside. Try getting any extra to live comfortably or beyond.
Don't think for a minute that I don't feel the same frustration. I do. Believe me..I really do. I WISH I could hit the road, and only come back home when I grew tired of it. Thing is...although I have a landlord, and bills, and responsibilities, it's all better than having my house broken down by the side of the road and no money to fix it. It's better to wake up in some place I feel relatively comfortable and safe, than a foreign place where I have no knowledge of what dangers lurk outside.
And as for children, I do have them, and I do home school. But on the road...forget it. Break down somewhere in the middle of winter with no resources and watch how fast a social worker takes your kids away.
Very few can live this lifestyle. Like anything else in life, if you are interested in making a lifestyle change, research others who are doing it, (or are not succeeding and why). It seems like perhaps you started this thread simply out of frustration, and maybe aren't really looking to change your circumstances. But if you are, be careful. You might be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Actually, we live in a 5th wheel year round. Our living causes us to travel and after 27 plus years, it's our life now.

The longest we're in one place is about 3 months. And by then, we are so ready to go.
To much Gypsy in us by now to stay in one spot very long.

I would say there are more Pros than Cons for me ~~~ but I choose this lifestyle over being homestead and tied down to one place.
That being said, this kind of life isn't for every one.

They do make trailers/motor-homes that are insulated called "4 Seasons" to withstand freezing temps.

Personally, we prefer trailers to motor-homes but that's just us.

Down south, it comes in handy when one has to evacuate for a hurricane. Trying to get a motel room during an evacuation can be hell even if driving hundreds of miles away to find one. And all your stuff is with you.

And any more, they make them with slide outs that really do open up the rooms, also have beautiful cabinets/closets. Some have showers only others have garden tub w/shower. It depends on the maker and how it is designed.

One day when you're bored, look up trailers/motor homes for sale and they'll show you a layout and usually some pictures too. We never buy new, most people trade in theirs after 3 years and a majority of them are only used 3-4 weeks out of the yr. so it's still like new.

PEACE
snarky

edit on 23-10-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join