It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Supersonic Skydive Live: Video of Felix Baumgartner

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I failed to read this information, thank you for pointing it out.
I retract my comment about huge waste of time and money

at least for this purpose ♥

Originally posted by talklikeapirat
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

You're laughing, but...

Clark was married to space shuttle astronaut Laurel Clark, who was killed aboard Columbia while it was returning to Earth in 2003, and he has dedicated himself to improving astronauts’ chances of survival in a high-altitude disaster.

NASA is paying close attention, eager to improve its spacecraft and spacesuits for emergency escape, but is merely an observer; the energy drink maker is footing the bill and will not say how much it is costing.

source

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXSvenXx
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I imagine smartarse if they were unable to return due to heat tile damage they would at least be able to position the craft/shuttle at a suitable position for an emergency dive.
And this dive would help with further understanding.
\

Im not being a smartarze im being logical..........

Theres no way in reintry the human body can sustain the heat and speed at which actual re-entry takes places from space........

This dive from this gentleman , tho awesome!!!!! Is completely different than any kind of orbital re-entry

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

fluff.........you dont think NASA with all its massive funding and research, and hard hits by shuttle disasters, wouldnt have taken this into consideration and practice years ago?

Just saying........

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Shouldn't it be started by now? This seems to be taking too long...

Watch this video while you're waiting. It will blow your mind. I can only hope the real thing looks half as good.

This is the craziest thing I've ever seen.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Normally i'd be with you and Red Bull is certainly not in it for the benefit of mankind alone, or the safety of spaceflight for that matter. But this thing here, is too damn cool to not do it. Hell i would jump, boiling blood is the least of my problems, i'm married.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Grrr.... they're now saying "Earliest launch now 8:00AM PT/2:00PM GMT on October 9th"

That's an hour from now.
edit on 9/10/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Its the year 2012, and we still are sending robots to space, and not many humans. We still insist on fragile human bodies falling from the sky as a form of re-entry, paint me funny colors and call me crazy but I am sure there is a better way.

What happened to our space elevator?

Or a new energy source using electromagnets?

I am tired of living in the industrial revolution, with sparatic cybernautics neatly placed around to appear advanced.

We are using the internet for social means, but computers should be used for things we cannot do.

Space evelator! Not now....Right now!

Also we just had a solar storm, is that wise?
correction,its still happening

Space Weather Message Code: WARK04
Serial Number: 2015
Issue Time: 2012 Oct 09 1145 UTC

EXTENDED WARNING: Geomagnetic K-index of 4 expected
Extension to Serial Number: 2014
Valid From: 2012 Oct 08 0445 UTC
Now Valid Until: 2012 Oct 09 1800 UTC
Warning Condition: Persistence
Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 65 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
Induced Currents - Weak power grid fluctuations can occur.
Aurora - Aurora may be visible at high latitudes such as Canada and Alaska.
edit on 9-10-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

I think this is about as close as we are going to get for the foreseeable future

Space Elevator Science - Climb to the Sky - A Tethered Tower

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
To share the awesomeness collectively in one place, i recommend to everyone to leave comments in this thread.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Eager to see him jump . This will be the greatest achievement for mankind

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Please reply to this thread, the OP started his before i did, and he's got popcorn. Thanks

edit on 9-10-2012 by talklikeapirat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
Grrr.... they're now saying "Earliest launch now 8:00AM PT/2:00PM GMT on October 9th"

That's an hour from now.
edit on 9/10/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

Mine is saying 8:30AM MDT

Thats over an hour

ugh, now 9:30AM MDT - I give up - guess I'll see the replays

edit on 9-10-2012 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Well the ISS orbits at about 225 miles above earth and hes jumping from 23 miles. Come on how much more speed could an astronaut get from the extra 200 miles?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Mission aborted, according to multiple sources. Wind speed was too high. Guess you'll have to keep waiting, guys.

Here's the most reliable source:

www.redbullstratos.com...
edit on 9-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I don't really know all the maths involved but I didn't think at these altitudes a terminal velocity of mach 1.2 + was possible. Can anyone explain?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ToeKnee

Maybe you'll find your answer here.

The acceleration due to gravity at this extreme height is not the standard value of 32.2 ft/s² (9.81 m/s²) but a slightly lower value around 31.9 ft/s² (9.72 m/s²). This value can be verified using the Atmospheric Properties Calculator.

Solving this equation with the values provided tells us that Kittinger's theoretical top speed is about 905 ft/s (275 m/s), or 615 mph (990 km/h). This answer is quite close to the top speed reported by Joseph Kittinger in his publications. We can also rearrange this relationship to solve for the altitude he would have had to jump from in order to reach 714 mph. In so doing, we find that the Excelsior balloon would have had to have been at an altitude of about 107,000 ft (32,600 m), or over 4,000 ft (1,300 m) higher than it actually was.

source

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ToeKnee

I looked it up but don"t have my source, but it roughly says where he'll be the atmosphere is 1% of what it is at sea level. The resistance of the air vs. gravity will remove what we know as terminal velocity till he gets to I think it said 70,000 feet. So thats 40 to 50 thousand feet of free fall acceleration. YEEE_HAAA!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

We can work together can't we.

I'm really exited for tomorrow, positive thinking is half the work

See ya at sunrise

edit on 9/10/12 by sevensheeps because: peace

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Let me be the first to say...

Rebull has officially privatized space.

Awesome.

We should get Trojan to do the next space adventure.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
jeb Corliss should be the one doing this stunt

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join