It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

and my opinion looking at the pic says there was no digging in that area in the pic.
it dosnt say "fallen out" just "detected"

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
reply to post by senselessness

as you can see the OP is mis-leading people then

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
The rover took a scoop of dirt, and this fell out :scary:

Misleading...dont think so, but you are welcome to your opinion.

NASA officials say the Curiosity rover has made its first scoop of the surface of planet Mars and has detected a bright object on the ground.

Took a scoop, then discovered it...so im assuming, it wasnt on the surface to begin with.

It does NOT say "took a scoop, THEN discovered..." - it says "made its forst scoop..... AND has detected..."

the 2 actions are not actually connected in that sentence - they aer only connected by the misleading paraphrasing.

thanks education system!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

cosmology.net...
If small things grow larger things will follow things progress. We have discovered rock eaters here that produce acid and live in total darkness. Life evolves.
edit on 9-10-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Object was seen after the initial dig. The arm was closer to the rover for the vibration phase.

click to enlarge

this is an image of the dig site.

they are not that close as inferred.

link   
reply to post by BlueAjah

I choose to assume their cameras are all from radio shack until they prove otherwise. From the moon landing to date their pictures always suck. They are always low res with no color, or fake color, and pixilated or just plain washed out. Couldn't thy have hired a a person with a degree in basic photography by now?

In other words I will assume thy suck vs assuming they actually don't suck and just don't want to share the non sucky images because they are too big for our puny wittle computaws

link   
I'm still sayn scrapens from some plastic wires or lines both are a bad thing

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
No. It looks like a big nasty booger.

edit on 9-10-2012 by D1ss1dent because: Bon appétit.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This is what I think it looks like.

SLUGS!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Here is the deal:

When NASA with their $2 billion cameras and equipment can NOT figure out what it is, then i don't see a lot of hope that they could find ANYTHING on this mission.

Wasn't the rover MADE for the purpose to eg. search for life, examine soil, crystals etc....but now we are looking at a possible piece of the rover, and we DON'T KNOW what it is? Give me a break...

By the way....as much as i wished it would be something organic, like a bug or a larva etc...i don't think it is. It think it's a cable tie thingy or a piece of burst plastic. But the point is..we should not even have to wonder about this.

The rover was not sent up there so we play guessing games..and it shouldn't be a big deal to identify this piece?

Furthermore:

I don't think the rover "dug out" this thing, and i also nowhere read this, instead it lays flat on the surface as if it fell down from the rover right on the ground. If someone says they dug this piece out from the ground, it's simple false.
edit on 9-10-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I would hardly say it's falling apart. It looks like a piece of protective tape has peeled off.
Nasa link
Nasa Link
Nasa close up
No surprising the amount that must be on it. I guess some will loosen up with weathering and peel off.

But then again..... it could be a stowaway cockroach

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brandon88
I highly doubt a piece fell off of the 2 billion dollar rover that needed to make it across millions of miles of space in one piece. Come on now people.

When i look at the rover images, there are A LOT of pretty "pathetic" looking cable ties and things which look like tape.... seeing that the rover was and is bombarded with rocks...plus the fact it was "vibrating" for that experiment makes it quite possible that something fell off.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Instead of showing us #ty pics like that, why aren't they using the mahli cam?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Sometimes stuff falls off my Nissan Pathfinder, which is by the way in a fairly good condition and never had to undergo hypersonic entry into Martian atmosphere and other rigors of decent and deployment in a hostile environment. Just saying. A small piece of thermal and/or electric insulation could have peeled off, no doubt.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by Brandon88
I highly doubt a piece fell off of the 2 billion dollar rover that needed to make it across millions of miles of space in one piece. Come on now people.

When i look at the rover images, there are A LOT of pretty "pathetic" looking cable ties and things which look like tape.... seeing that the rover was and is bombarded with rocks...plus the fact it was "vibrating" for that experiment makes it quite possible that something fell off.

My thoughts are pretty identical. I'm actually wondering why they didn't put some more durable material over the cable bundles... Budget cuts?

I've never built a rover but worked in instrumentation for nuclear science, you'd be surprised what you can do with a roll of Scotch tape.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
looks like something with two eyes, here is a close up www.extremetech.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
[My thoughts are pretty identical. I'm actually wondering why they didn't put some more durable material over the cable bundles... Budget cuts?

Weight, cost, fitness for purpose (why spend more than you need to?) and the ol' "dont' bother wasting more time on it" factor.

I've never built a rover but worked in instrumentation for nuclear science, you'd be surprised what you can do with a roll of Scotch tape.

How does scotch tape hold up to multi-million mile journeys at near absolute zero followed by hypersonic entry and a bumpy landing??

edit on 9-10-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

How does scotch tape hold up to multi-million mile journeys at near absolute zero followed by hypersonic entry and a bumpy landing??

As I said, I don't really know. I can speculate that there are specialized kind of tapes (like made of kevlar) that's extremely strong and durable, and this can be shown in testing. But like in the example with my current vehicle, and a few before that, it's not uncommon for a unit of complex equipment to shed a small piece of plastic. I once found a small piece of rubber hose under the hood of my VW which looked like it belonged there, but it was loose. I never figured what part of the engine it detached from.

Before I speculate about telepathic fish on Mars, I would consider that someone accidentally dropped a piece of chewing gum wrapper in the clean room where the rover was assembled, and it got stuck in the cables.

edit on 9-10-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
reply to post by AmberLeaf

and my opinion looking at the pic says there was no digging in that area in the pic.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

it dosnt say "fallen out" just "detected"

The digging took place about 2ft away from the picture.
Why did NASA say, they only discovered it after digging?

They didnt say "we didnt dig because we found this thing" they said after the dig they saw it. So, either you have to accept them at their word and say yea, it was there all the time but no one noticed until after the dig.

Or, that is was picked up from the dig, shaken out...then discovered laying on the floor.
edit on 9-10-2012 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2012 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
as said before its just a piece of Natural glass imo

Glass has existed since the beginning of time. Natural glass is formed when certain rocks melt at high temperatures and then cool very quickly, not allowing time for the liquids to crystallize. Glass can be created in volcanic eruptions, lightening striking the earth (generally on sand), or a meteor hitting the earth. Man made glass has also existed since the dawn of civilization!

Glass

Could be many pieces around, Could have been ejected from a volcano or could have even formed from the meteor impact that made the crater or even fro,m another impact area close by.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join