It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you imagine what Non-existence is like?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Akragon

Your question is a paradox. When you don't exist, you don't have an awareness to imagine with. So to imagine nonexistence, you must first exist. It is impossible to realistically imagine nonexistence.

What a silly question.

Way worse - Consider omniscience having to contend with the problem of Its own omnipresence. By definition, omnipresence requires existing everywhere, even inside of absolute non-existence. The drive to "go there" would be a mathematical expression of infinite division and subtraction.

"Crap - now this Singularity exists. I better hide it. I'll sent it into infinte angular motion in every angle. Crap - where the Singularity IS made this dimension I'll call the infinite expanse, or height. But where the Singularity IS NOT produces a dimension of non-existence. Woo-Hoo. I only need some proxies composed of finite to experience it for Me and I'll absorb that consciousness from them. I got some more stuff to do to get this to work."

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Very good question. I in fact asked this very thing to myself back in 2006. I wrote: "darkness is not even an usable word to describe non-existence itself, as the concept of darkness itself will shatter non-existence to pieces". I guess the answer is... We'll never know. Or will we?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Non-existence cannot exist. If its "non"-not....it is nothing. By the very term using "NON" as in does-not exist.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It would be identical to pre birth/conception.

What did you experience

Nothing.

Though i think after death will be different, but if you're expression nothingness, it could only be explained to the above. It would be nothing, and it would be nothing to fear because there is no you to expierence anything.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
reply to post by spy66

Non-existence cannot exist. If its "non"-not....it is nothing. By the very term using "NON" as in does-not exist.

Non-existence is self-annihilating the instant any consciousness employs considering it. To explore and consider absolute non-existence converts non-existence into existing, thereby violating the integrity of the definition.

Focusing on the vision of this will cause mental damage like a run-away feedback loop in electronics so avert your mind.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

What is so hard to understand about nothingness?? It will be like before you were born which is exactly NOTHING.
And yeah life is exactly that meaningless.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

Interesting concept. The thing is, omnipresence IS nonexistence. See, nonexistence is the state of being so widely spread that you're part of everything, to the point that you have no individual form to speak of. Even your mind is imbued into all of everything. Sounds like omnipresence, yeah? If you're omnipresent, you have no individuality, hence, no existence. Because you are not your own.

My belief is that when something is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient, there's only one way to learn: by being finite, ignorant, and weak.
Which makes all of this one big learning experience for Source. Ever read The Egg? It was popular on the site a while back. I think that kind of puts a little perspective on what I'm trying to say here.

edit on 9-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Nothingness is the spirit.
Humans fear nothingness so not many look to where the secret lies.

In this video Alan Watts talks about nothing:
youtu.be...
edit on 9-10-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Half of Youtube natters on for hours talking about nothing. Perhaps instead of linking videos, you should link PDFs or web pages explaining his views.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I can highly recommend Alan Watts, not just what he speaks but how he speaks, he has a great voice. I am sorry i do not know how to link anything but youtube vids.
All the vids i link are all about nothing so if you want something from them i wouldn't bother clicking.

Nothing Appearing as This (Tony Parsons):
youtu.be...
Emptiness is form (Bob Adamson):
youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Like an Atom, 99% of its being is empty. This is not a revelation, this has been well known for the longest time. Most currently accepted for discovering it in ancient times is the Buddha. Then the very moment we go into this state of 'physical death' we become once realized atoms once again. The atheist have it right when it comes to death, we go back into nothingness. Because it is that nothingness, is when we realized the interconnection between everything in the universe. It is the source, connection, and center of our being. Just like an atom's center being is empty, so is ours.

It is not a difficult thing to accept, you cannot complicate it further more. The evidence is evident in every part of your existence. The moment you begin to think that life is meaningless, you have saw it wrong. The meaningless is the meaning. Showing you that life should be held with joy and happiness, not having meaning at all to you.

Be carefree, free, and joyous. That is the empty meaning of life, there is nothing to hold onto, become attached too, or have responsibility. Thus why meditation is such a blissful experience. It is simply Empty!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Never being classically trained in Philosophy I found this one just didn't and couldn't work, but I could only go on what I have learned.

I have not figured out what an after (material, physical) life is but non-existence did not fit. Einstein helped me on this one with matter can only be changed never destroyed. So to me this form of consciousness is only changed or transformed. Worked for me and I am sticking to it.

edit on 9-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I can only imagine nonexistence in the sense that our energy - our conciousness, soul, whatever - unites with the energy of the universe for a time, until we get recycled like an old hard drive. Like I said before, omnipresence is nonexistence, because you are existent not as an individual entity, but as everything. Everything is partially you. This is, in fact, physically and energetically proven. Every day we live, we leave traces of us everywhere.

So we're never truly gone - we've just changed. Hence, the law of conservation.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I herd this woman on coast to coast "Nancy Evans Bush" She did an extensive search over many years on Near Death Experiences after having her own. she has done other interviews as well here is one of them and you should find it interesting.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The imagination can imagine anything but nothing.
Nothing is peace.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It's better to live without fear, but I can understand why people would ask such questions. A lot of people don't like the idea of death, so all I'm going to say is live this life by making the most of it. People are selfish, and I believe that life is a game made so that God can create more spiritual beings to surround himself with. I know for a fact, he wouldn't want suck ups, or selfishness egotistical people up there with them. You really want to take that chance? Risking eternal life for 70-100 years of selfishness? If that's the case, I pity you. There's no reason AT ALL for people to be the way they are nowadays. It's pathetic, and I'm beginning to see Gods plan for us all and yes, I believe in God. I'm not perfect, but I do the best I can.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Lots of great replies thanks everyone...

I've noticed many people giving this same answer though...

After you die, is just like before you were born... Nothingness...

Let me ask those of you who gave this answer a question....

Just because you don't remember existing before you were born... does that mean you didn't exist?

Does anyone remember being born? Or even the months following your birth?

Obviously not.... but does that mean it didn't happen?

edit on 9-10-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
IF you exist for the experience how can there be no reason to "experience"?

Much love everyone!

You're saying that since we find a reason to exist then there must be a divine reason.

But... here:
a) There's no strict universal rule that explains the reason to exist
b) We exist because we independently find a reason

The point is that there's no reason to exist that's enforced by a god or higher power. The reason is our own. We're the drivers. We're both the destroyers and the creators. The living and the dying.

This is not to say there's not a more localized reason; rather than some God or universal agent. For example, even though the universe might not be giving us a reason, DNA or the trillions of cells in our body might be doing that. Why? To preserve themselves and ensure they'll survive.

Who wants to live more: Me or my cells or my DNA? Whoever wants to live the most will probably become the dominant driver and thus the creator of reason and meaning for existence.

My private opinion is that I exist because I do not know better. Death would probably mean no more games and no more stimulation and no more dreams or thoughts of other places and things in the universe. No more fun. And that's why I live: Fun. But I suppose if I lived too long or became too stubborn in my ways that I might threaten my species' or some other species' ability to have fun. This might override my own desire for fun because of their preeminence and cause me to become dead. Bottom line, whatever serves fun to the greatest numbers of living things is the priority.
edit on 9-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Does anything actually exist unless you have words to tell the story. 'Things' are words, concepts that grow into ideas and stories about this or that. Does yesterday exist? Does 2 seconds ago exist?
What actually exists?

Sensation in the moment. Experience. Knowing.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No need to imagine, I was already non-existent for most of history. People generally don't have a problem with the time they spent "dead" before they were born but when it comes to the time they will spend dead after being alive there are lot's of supernatural claims designed to cope. Afterlife claims seem so blatantly anthropocentric. Most people can accept that when animals die they are completely gone but when it comes to humans they make an arbitrary exception.

Eternal life sounds great on paper but really, is it that great an idea? I mean imagine it, most human beings can't even fill their time here on Earth, we all get bored from time to time. So naturally after the first 10 million years of life you'd probably get tired of things. I often wonder what believers plan to do with eternity and if they've really actually thought it out, I imagine after a few million years one gets really good at playing the harp.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join