Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Can you imagine what Non-existence is like?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
What if you are more then meat?

What if we are less?
What if we are actually just clever illusions for someone else entirely, that our programming is so complex that we have this faux history and desires, etc..but we are literally just a minor character in someone elses play.

This is also the darker side of most religions...God created us.
Sure, but..lets understand, he did this for his amusement..like one would create a video game to become interested in.
Eventually, interest fades and the game is shut down completely..all that is with the game simply blinks out without a second thought.

So, what if we aren't even real meat..just the imagined technological or daydreaming of some strange dimensional creature simply looking for entertainment and we are the flavor of the week.

What if's are pretty open ended.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Thank you my friend

Always a pleasure to have your input..

I love to wonder about things that are hard to imagine...

Have you read this thread... it didn't do so well but its a curious question to think about

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well... if we are just the flavor of the week...

And that flavor brings everyone who experiences it pleasure or pain... Can we really assume life has no purpose?

Btw... answering a question with a question?

Shall we dance with words?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

if you are nothing you are something, or you could not be identified as nothing , you see to be nothing is still to be , and if you be then you are , so i believe there will be some form of consciuosness , maybe you end up trapped in the dark with nothing but memories for the rest of time ... what ever the hell time is supposed to be
edit on 8-10-2012 by KillDaTelavisionsus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I don't believe we cease to exist. I can tell from my own personal experience, maybe it may help those that are afraid..having my 4 th child, I was loosing a lot of blood. He got stuck in the birth canal, so they did c-section, and 2 surgeons were trying to pump him out like an accordion. The more blood I was losing the lighter I was feeling. It was better then the morphine they gave me after my 3rd child. It was the highest, most peaceful feeling I can describe. To the point where I didn't care about my family members, children, no one. I was begging to be taken away, it was such a wonderful feeling. Next thing I know, I'm in recovery, depressed as all hell...the depression lasted a few weeks, but I no longer fear death. I do believe we exist in some form.......hope that helps??? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I am here now to raise my kids and experience life. I just assume it wasn't my time...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No, "non-existence" cannot be imagined because it is non-existent.

Only ideas can be imagined, but an idea is a type of existence - imaginery - so non-existence cannot even be an idea.

Now if you talking about a place with withing, just darkness, I would call that empty space.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by Akragon

Or is it ? see , we know it well enough to give it a name , so it obviously exists in some way shape or form.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by KillDaTelavisionsus

reply to post by Akragon

Or is it ? see , we know it well enough to give it a name , so it obviously exists in some way shape or form.

There are many things that we give names or attribute a conceptual term; for example we cannot imagine what it would be like to live in 4+(spatial) dimensions. Yet we discuss the science, mathematics, theoretical aspects & do comparative examples to help grasp it.

As for non-existence, it implies one of two states --- there is the state of existence, and then non. Both are polar opposite extremes; existence means that everything and anything can/does exist. Infinite possibilities. Then non-existence entails absolutely NOTHING. If we're talking about the non-existence of the individual self/organic body & mind, remember that our sentience may dissipate -- but the energy and matter remains. Your body merges again with the Earth, and your energy disperses.

If we're talking about non-existence flat out, that would entail no matter, no energy. No dimensions, no universe, no consciousness - even nothing outside the universe (whatever mysterious region &/or entity that is).

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No, I cannot. There is no such thing as non-existence. The word, if it is such a thing, is a self-contradiction. Something non-existing still implies there is something to non-exist, which is impossible.

Things only exist, have once existed, or may exist in the future.
edit on 8-10-2012 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I am currently reading a book on philosophy, where my current chapter is on nothingness, and I can say (after having slogged through the chapter, it wasn't pleasant, lol,) no. Nothingness is impossible to contemplate, because once you're in there... there is no longer nothing.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Sit back and try to recall what it was like Before being born. Can't recall such ? well there is one perfect example

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Ahhh my friend!!

I've been waiting for you to chime in...

Please do expound on said book...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by steaming
reply to post by Akragon

Sit back and try to recall what it was like Before being born. Can't recall such ? well there is one perfect example

You're not trying hard enough....

No effort fail...

Use your frickin imagination rookie!

or did you lose that ability when you were young like most people?

edit on 8-10-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It's getting late but felt an urge to reply.

I'm a new member, been "lurking" for multiple years but hope to maybe contribute to some conversations I've seen like this. Not gonna ask people not to flame me because I know how it goes.

I was raised Roman Catholic. Did the whole altar boy thing. But when it came for me to be confirmed I couldn't latch myself to the ideas presented in said religion. So I sought out to create my own. I'm not an Atheist. I believe in a god.

I believe holy texts hold some meaning, but are not literal.

I believe that we were somehow created in God's image. We are all creators. Even when we sleep we are wandering in worlds of our own creation. So before I lose my train of thought let me get to the point.

I believe that everyone has some concept of the afterlife or the lack thereof. I think if you believe in heaven or hell you will find such when you move on. It is all down to individual experience. But once you do, whatever the consequence is when you move on that is what you will find because you have spent a lifetime creating that idea. If you are unhappy with your life when you move on maybe it won't be so fluffy clouds and sunshine, etc.

I can't assume the OP sees things like me but I think of god as the creative energy that holds everything together. Perhaps not a single omnipotent consciousness but rather an ever present energy holding it all together. I see life as an opportunity, the time we are given is all we have. Sure, reincarnation is up for debate but our given time is the key. Life is not pointless, we effect others around us, we create children and raise them, we leave our mark.

But when our time is up. it's ashes to ashes. I think maybe it could be nothingness on the other side, or rebirth, or reincarnation... That's the beauty of creating your own beliefs is that you don't need to conform to what others tell you to. But bottom line is, even if it was nothingness on the other side, our energy will rejoin with the universe - as if it were apart in the first place. So really, there will always be something even after our lives have transpired.

Anyhow, as I said, this is my first real post. I look forward to discussing topics with the community and thanks for having me.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
Please do expound on said book...

Book is:

Why Does the World Exist? by Jim Holt. I bought it after the disappointment of Lawrence Krauss' A Universe From Nothing, lol. Said chapter is titled "A Brief History of Nothing", and, as I said, it promotes the impossibility, in that once one implants oneself on nothingness, it is no longer nothing.

ETA: H ere's the book, my bad.
edit on 8-10-2012 by adjensen because: oopsies

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SaintLuck

Thank you for your reply...

Welcome to our forum

Take a look at this thread when you have the time... at the bottom... please refer to part 1

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I believe it might be for you... if not no worries

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Why the swear word style of reply ?
Rookie eh ?
Now aged 66 years and suffering the loss of my Mother when I was 29, Mum God bless her, was 55 when she passed away. Ok , so what ? well that popped agin when Our precious Son - Age 17 years - was Killed by a flaming lunatic. Living in a Religious Roman Catholic Family, and having studied - and for quite some had Faith in the 'Bible'. I read books, books on everything, Biology, Anatomy, and for a hobby Physic, with the hobby being Amateur Radio. I felt how there must a God, must be an after life. I considered the human eye and felt how could not be an accident, how only a knowing God could make such. Throughout the years I drifted from one side of Faith to the other. I shall now bore such a high knowledge thinker as your goodself, but wait till a few years have passed on by/ Time teaches us what we should have recognised earlier, and time is no ones friend.

So think again....

Oh and have a nice day now.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by steaming
reply to post by Akragon

Why the swear word style of reply ?
Rookie eh ?
Now aged 66 years and suffering the loss of my Mother when I was 29, Mum God bless her, was 55 when she passed away. Ok , so what ? well that popped agin when Our precious Son - Age 17 years - was Killed by a flaming lunatic. Living in a Religious Roman Catholic Family, and having studied - and for quite some had Faith in the 'Bible'. I read books, books on everything, Biology, Anatomy, and for a hobby Physic, with the hobby being Amateur Radio. I felt how there must a God, must be an after life. I considered the human eye and felt how could not be an accident, how only a knowing God could make such. Throughout the years I drifted from one side of Faith to the other. I shall now bore such a high knowledge thinker as your goodself, but wait till a few years have passed on by/ Time teaches us what we should have recognised earlier, and time is no ones friend.

So think again....

Oh and have a nice day now.

Frickin is a sware?

Im sorry my friend.... there was no insult intended

My saying "rookie" was only meant as your registration date on this forum, it has nothing to do with your life experience...i did say "imagine" .... i tend to have a rather playful nature when posting here...

Notice the avatar?

Again my appoligies...

but a question... if you will...

Do you believe "death" is a bad thing?

You have a great day too... hope to chat with you soon

edit on 9-10-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KillDaTelavisionsus

Originally posted by KillDaTelavisionsus

reply to post by Akragon

What is "it"? You speak of non-existence as if it were something existent. If it's existence then "non-existence" is an incorrect name for it.

Maybe people use the word "non-existence" (which can not BE) for empty space (no light, no matter, no heat, no sound, etc.)

There is no such thing as non-existence but the closest to get to it is a space where there is no things which would be empty space - but even empty space is an existence...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
The only thing I can do with non-existence is to compare it to something I'm already familiar with. A few years back I was run over by a car and put in the hospital. The shock of the impact plus the anesthesia for the surgery wiped out all memory of about three hours of my life. It wasn't like going to sleep. It was a smooth transition from one point in time to the next. I could have been three hours, it could have been 10,000 years, Same experience, which is the lack of all thought and sensation, including retroactively to before the crash.

So that's what it's like. Nothing. Less than nothing. A state without words to describe it. Nullification. But I only have a framework for it (poor as it is) because I woke up later. Had I not woken up, the nothing would be all-encompassing, stretching without feeling or sensation infinitely into the past and future, destroying the entire universe (as far as I'm concerned).

I can't describe it, but I know what it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join