It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evil AMericans and Brits not killing insurgents at night so Taliban can get some sleep.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
For those of you who have never served and think that allied forces are monsters, you must realise that we woork under some of the most restrictive ROE (rules of engagement) ever. We cannot shoot back if large amounts of civilian casualties result or if the enemy is fighting from a culturally or historically significant position. The new rules are we cannot shoot terrorists at night, lest the noise disturb someone's sleep.

Posted: Today 7:38:56 PM EDT
U.S. Soldiers Urged Not to Shoot Taliban at Night so Locals Can Sleep

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Article
Send a Tip
by AWR Hawkins 5 Oct 2012, 8:23 AM PDT 73 post a comment
Reports indicate U.S. soldiers and British Royal Marines have been urged to show "courageous constraint" by not shooting Taliban members spotted planting IEDs.
The reason? Shooting them might disturb the locals.

This news comes out on the heels of an investigation into the death of Royal Marine Sergeant Peter Rayner, whom witnesses say watched the Taliban plant IEDs at night but was ordered not to engage them. Families of other soldiers and Royal Marines are telling stories of how their loved ones were not allowed to use mortars or night illumination when they came across Taliban members in an area full of IEDs.

The reason given was that "the sound of shooting 'might wake up and upset the locals.'"

This is not "courageous restraint" –– this is appeasement.

Link to article

From another source:
From another source:

Soldiers ordered not to shoot Taliban as they plant mines... 'because it WAKES UP locals'

By Daily Mail Reporter
UPDATED: 08:52 EST, 18 July 2011

Comments (0)

Soldiers were ordered not to open fire on Taliban fighters planting mines in case they disturb local people, it has been claimed.

U.S. military chiefs ordered troops to exercise 'courageous constraint' and even warned them they could be charged with murder if they shot any Taliban without permission from above.

The claims were made by a former Royal Marine who spoke out following the inquest into the death of Sergeant Peter Rayner last week.

Don't shoot: A former marine says troops were warned they could be charged with murder if they shot Taliban, pictured, without permission from above

At the hearing in Bradford, his widow Wendy Rayner revealed how her husband was blown up days after senior officers had apparently 'laughed off' his complaints that insurgents were being allowed to plant explosive devices unchallenged.

More...
Part-time troops on the front line: Government to replace 17,000 professional combat soldiers with reservists
British soldier shot dead 'by Afghan serviceman' while on routine patrols
The 34-year-old phoned his wife in a ‘highly stressed’ state four days before his death and was upset that his fears were not taken seriously.

She said he and his men had watched the enemy, using night-vision goggles, plant improvised explosive devices and were not allowed to attack them. He was allegedly told by one officer: ‘I am an Army Captain and you will do your job.’

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...––-WAKES-UP-locals.html#ixzz28THAwdvD
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

edit on 5-10-2012 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think i would tell them where to stick it if i knew then what i know now. The job that is.

Actualy i know i would.

CX.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I think i would tell them where to stick it if i knew then what i know now. The job that is.

Actualy i know i would.

CX.

My friends over there are buying cans (silencers) for this very reason. Gotta love the Royal Marines. Those Brits are good guys.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

I just hope our military keep all of these considerate rules when they declare martial law. I'm gonna need my beauty sleep if that ever happens.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Isn’t that ridiculous? I totally understand limiting civilian casualties but DAMN PEOPLE; IT’S A WARRRR!!

That makes me think of a Marine Corps Air Station near Camp Lejeune….take a look at the sign near their gate!

S&F Doc!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
If our sovereign country was invaded for no reason and the invasion lasted 10 years with no apologies hell yes I would be f#####ing upset with 24 hour a day gun fire.

There is no Taliban, there are Afghanistan people though.

They have been invaded and they want their country back.
I see no problem there.
Regards, Iwinder

CX

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
Gotta love the Royal Marines. Those Brits are good guys.

I worked with them for 6 months in N.Ireland, great bunch of lads. Liked their fitness too, our gym was only in bounds for two hours a day as it was unprotected from mortars, they turned up, shipped in decent gym gear and put it in bounds 24/7 as long as you trained with your flak jacket and helmet on.

CX.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The only things those kinds of rules will do is give the enemy the advantage.

I can understand wanting to keep the civilian casualties low, but restraining the troops as much as you can does not win conflicts and battles.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by NavyDoc

Isn’t that ridiculous? I totally understand limiting civilian casualties but DAMN PEOPLE; IT’S A WARRRR!!

That makes me think of a Marine Corps Air Station near Camp Lejeune….take a look at the sign near their gate!

S&F Doc!

I see that almost every day. The locals voted to forbid the construction of several OLF (outlying fields) and now they are complaining that squadrons may move out and take their money with them.

Thanks for my first flag ever.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by NavyDoc
Gotta love the Royal Marines. Those Brits are good guys.

I worked with them for 6 months in N.Ireland, great bunch of lads. Liked their fitness too, our gym was only in bounds for two hours a day as it was unprotected from mortars, they turned up, shipped in decent gym gear and put it in bounds 24/7 as long as you trained with your flak jacket and helmet on.

CX.

Right! I also ahve worked with SAS and several battalions. Looking up at the bleachers during a period of instruction for the Black Watch, I learned the hard way what a Scottsman wears under his kilt!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by NavyDoc

I just hope our military keep all of these considerate rules when they declare martial law. I'm gonna need my beauty sleep if that ever happens.

A large portion of the military, myself included, would disobey those orders, so please grab a rifle and join us.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
The only things those kinds of rules will do is give the enemy the advantage.

I can understand wanting to keep the civilian casualties low, but restraining the troops as much as you can does not win conflicts and battles.

I've had friends of mine die because we were not allowed to respond to a threat coming from a culturally significant structure.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Congrats!

I hope it was as painless for you as it was for me!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

S&F Doc!

Just to add. YOu remember what is opposite that sign? Toby's! (Blech.)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

Congrats!

I hope it was as painless for you as it was for me!

It stung a little bit, but I'll be okay.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Those lazy chumps were told to kick out the bad dudes or we're coming in. They had years, years of chances to can the 'ban but sat on their butts and even protected them.
Well eventually sh*t happens they deserve every last drop.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by Iwinder

Those lazy chumps were told to kick out the bad dudes or we're coming in. They had years, years of chances to can the 'ban but sat on their butts and even protected them.

Yeah, no bad dudes in Afghanistan:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Aw how loving and peaceful of them

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

Aw how loving and peaceful of them

Dude, don't be so culturally insensitive.

(I'm with you, just being sarcastic.)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Iwinder

I guess the same logic would apply to Detroit? or perhaps Chicago? or any city in the US.

Regards, Iwinder

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join