Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Good things about DARPA

page: 1
5

log in

join

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
For all the flack that DARPA receives on this site, they really do some pretty amazing things. As a scientist, I applaud their efforts to expand technology and science. These aren't always done for nebulous or nefarious purposes and can be used to help humanity....

14 Amazing DARPA Technologies on Tap




posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy
 


L
L
bit of a misnomer your title

all 14 are new devices/technologies that enable TCOTBIP and the military to lie cheat,spy, rape and kill others.

"good" for them did you mean?

none of this will be available to the public anytime soon

have a flag anyways as it's always good to know about new dangers on the horizon.
whether to "borrow" them for ones own use, create ones own [knowing something exists/is possible is 50% of the work in making your own] keep an eye out to "liberate" one of these devices, and develop countermeasures against them.



posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy
 

This one is awesome!


Breaking The Language Barrier
DARPA is funding research into automated translation and linguistic analysis technologies that will make it easier for English speakers to understand foreign-language chat, messaging, and face-to-face conversation by translating on the fly, regardless of the use of slang, colloquialisms, varied pronunciation, or incomplete syntax.


For the following:
Not sure if skynet evolving or just police state on the rise.



Parsing Language
The Deep Exploration and Filtering of Text (DEFT) program uses natural-language processing and artificial intelligence to parse documents and conversations for deeper meaning by making inferences, analyzing context, and navigating causal relationships among various statements.




Advanced Surveillance
Early pilots in DARPA's so-called Mind's Eye program have demonstrated an ability to recognize and describe certain events. The program uses artificial intelligence to analyze video feeds from a camera, then describe what is going on within the camera's fields of vision





Sniper Detection
Snipers are a dangerous threat in hostile environments. DARPA's Counter-Sniper Program is working on technology to automatically sense, track, and return fire on snipers.





View From Above
Originally slated for use in drones in Afghanistan, DARPA's Autonomous Real-time Ground Ubiquitous Surveillance-Imaging System uses a series of cameras and processing systems in the sky to perform high-def video monitoring of events on the ground





3-D Targeting
Standoff Precision ID in 3-D uses optics technologies, including a technology often found in radio telescopes (focal plane arrays), to more easily assess the three-dimensional characteristics of targets from a long range.


It´s hard for me to see a win for humanity by improving monitoring-, targeting- and weapon-systems...



posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
DARPA is one of the few places that still funds innovation and takes long shot gambles.

The question to ask isn't 'why does DARPA exist' its that why the same proven to be successful approach is not mirrored in a Civil Advanced Research Projects Agency (CARPA).

Big corporate behemoths aren't generally a hotbed of innovation and in this financial and corporate climate those little guys who are trying to innovate cant find funding.



posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocket88
reply to post by CIAGypsy
 

This one is awesome!


Breaking The Language Barrier
DARPA is funding research into automated translation and linguistic analysis technologies that will make it easier for English speakers to understand foreign-language chat, messaging, and face-to-face conversation by translating on the fly, regardless of the use of slang, colloquialisms, varied pronunciation, or incomplete syntax.


For the following:
Not sure if skynet evolving or just police state on the rise.



Parsing Language
The Deep Exploration and Filtering of Text (DEFT) program uses natural-language processing and artificial intelligence to parse documents and conversations for deeper meaning by making inferences, analyzing context, and navigating causal relationships among various statements.




Advanced Surveillance
Early pilots in DARPA's so-called Mind's Eye program have demonstrated an ability to recognize and describe certain events. The program uses artificial intelligence to analyze video feeds from a camera, then describe what is going on within the camera's fields of vision





Sniper Detection
Snipers are a dangerous threat in hostile environments. DARPA's Counter-Sniper Program is working on technology to automatically sense, track, and return fire on snipers.





View From Above
Originally slated for use in drones in Afghanistan, DARPA's Autonomous Real-time Ground Ubiquitous Surveillance-Imaging System uses a series of cameras and processing systems in the sky to perform high-def video monitoring of events on the ground





3-D Targeting
Standoff Precision ID in 3-D uses optics technologies, including a technology often found in radio telescopes (focal plane arrays), to more easily assess the three-dimensional characteristics of targets from a long range.


It´s hard for me to see a win for humanity by improving monitoring-, targeting- and weapon-systems...


The thing is the spin offs generally don't have anything to do with the original research intent.

An AI developed to recognise movement in a camera field of view may be repurposed in care of the elderly e.g. the ability to recognise and raise alerts if a patient remains immobile at floor level for more than a minute, or a rapid transition to the floor occurs that may indicate a fall.

Its the people that can recognise these non obvious applications of things that the DoD already paid the NRE for that make fortunes.



posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger
 


Personally, I think I would want the military who is protecting my a$$ to be the most technologically advanced military on the planet. Just saying....

I hate to break it to you but the Jason Bourne series is JUST A MOVIE. It's a fiction, my friend. Yes, technology and science can be used to destroy. But it can also be used to save lives. Science is a tool. Imagination is the key. Not everyone in the government or in a position of authority in this country is the godless monster that you and Hollywood make them out to be. Hollywood does it for money. You and others like you do it simply out of paranoia.



posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger
 


Personally, I think I would want the military who is protecting my a$$ to be the most technologically advanced military on the planet. Just saying....

I hate to break it to you but the Jason Bourne series is JUST A MOVIE. It's a fiction, my friend. Yes, technology and science can be used to destroy. But it can also be used to save lives. Science is a tool. Imagination is the key. Not everyone in the government or in a position of authority in this country is the godless monster that you and Hollywood make them out to be. Hollywood does it for money. You and others like you do it simply out of paranoia.



L
L!!!!
jason bourne?
is that some sort of brainfart you're having dear?

fiction? i'd be happy to straighten you out in that regard, having personal experience in the occult art of Metamorphosis, but won't, as it seems i too, am guilty of A$$uming in regards to thinking you were intelligent , but thanks for clearing that up.

as for TCOTBIP, i'll just say they are laughing at you now, whether you're acting as their mouthpiece[which i now seriously doubt], or are just deluding yourself,having drunk the kool-aid
or are you laboring under some sort of A$$umption?

[PSSST if you're referring to the term TCOTBIP, it's Philip K. Dick, or the Gnostics you should be referring to
]
science is knowledge and knowledge is power, and politicians and military types are not well know for possessing an imagination, save for destructive and Anti-Life purposes of course.

as for the military protecting your little butt, that has to be the most ignorant thing i've ever heard, unless you yourself are of the oligarchy, then it makes sense.

paranoia? lol

others expressed a similar opinion to my own but as you've seen fit to single me out of all of them, and in addition insult me, i'll just take back my flag and move on...


to more intelligent threads and posters.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
DARPA is one of the few places that still funds innovation and takes long shot gambles.

The question to ask isn't 'why does DARPA exist' its that why the same proven to be successful approach is not mirrored in a Civil Advanced Research Projects Agency (CARPA).



Have you heard all the noise about how much Mitt Romney hates Solyndra and the similar DOE projects? That's why.

There is an ARPA-E for energy recently started but it's always in danger.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger
 





all 14 are new devices/technologies that enable TCOTBIP and the military to lie cheat,spy, rape and kill others.


Well....Yeah....That's what military organizations do.

And what the hell does TCOTBIP mean?



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy
 


Who created the internet? DARPA.

Who is using said internet freely to accuse and abuse DARPA. You.

That's an interesting thing about science. The same advancements that help, can so often be used to harm. It takes humans to use science responsibly.

So what I'm saying is we are screwed, but its pretty cool.



posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Creepy psychic experience I had this year:

Around February I had kind of a weird mania -- couldn't stop thinking about HELICAL WAVES, Helical Beams, Braided Waves, Twisted Light, Retarded Braided Waves, Norway Spiral, you name it!

I did a lot of research on signals that can penetrate certain kinds of metal -- for instance, steel and iron, and then of course, precious metals like gold. I became worried that Helical waves and helicon beams of various kinds, traveling thus unimpeded by normal deflective substances like gold or silver, could prove to be an effective hard drive wiping technology; i.e. if I am not mistaken, it's not possible to insulate a building against a Helicon effect. The signals can be changed to pass through virtually any medium. You'd almost need a pocket universe shielding you to avoid it.

I also realized that the Norway Spiral itself provided a weirdly accurate visual aid for my theory, that light can be twisted to make weapons and wipe the data off of computers. It's not just EMP that you need to worry about anymore -- there is now such a thing as "stealth wiping" thanks to this technology.

I wrote about the things above months before DARPA announced that Helical waves will be the greatest thing for the Internet since the GUI. We will be operating at speeds that would allow "7 BluRay disks per second" to be transmitted. That's significant.

You have to wonder how far away you can be from someone and still be able to communicate with them via Helical transmissions, too. The signal doesn't degrade as fast -- SETI should be checking this out, because the kind of radio waves they are looking for might not be the kind ET is using, get me? Kind of like barking versus typing, to use a crude example of how different our world will be with helical waves running Big Brother!


NEWS ON HELICAL WAVES:


www.slate.com...
DARPA Scientists Create Superfast Wi-Fi That Attaches Information to Light Beams
By Ben Johnson and Slate V Staff | Posted Tuesday, June 26, 2012, at 4:50 PM ET

In “get this into my house immediately” news, a group of scientists have created a new system for transmitting data that uses light and could be 85,000 times faster than broadband cable.
This super wi-fi, which could be used for everything from satellite communication links to fiber optic cables, employs something called “phase holograms” to manipulate eight separate beams of light so that they can carry “1” or “0” data bits—the building blocks of sending digital information from one place to another.

The beams, twisted into a DNA-like helical shape, were sent through free space as unique data streams, almost like separate channels on your radio. The transmit speed? 2.5 terabits per second, which Gizmodo describes as the equivalent of seven Blu-ray movies.

Of course, this technology, funded by DARPA and developed by a multinational team of scientists from Pakistan, China, Israel, and the United States, could easily be used for evil. But for now, let’s all just imagine downloading all of the Star Wars films in a blink of an eye—even if we only really want to watch three of them.

Video by Jim Festante.
______________________________
www.technewsdaily.com...
Twisted Light Boosts Space Communication
InnovationNewsDaily Staff25 June 2012 02:55 PM ET

Twisted light beams have opened the door for wireless communication 85,000 times faster than broadband Internet speeds. The breakthrough could allow NASA missions or military space satellites to exchange data at ultrahigh speeds.

Lab tests have shown how twisted laser beams can transmit data at speeds up to 2.56 terabits per second — roughly the equivalent of beaming 70 DVDs worth of data in a single second through free space. Such speed easily put broadband Internet's 30 megabits per second to shame.

"We didn't invent the twisting of light, but we took the concept and ramped it up to a terabit-per-second," said Alan Willner, electrical engineering professor at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.

The international team hailing from the U.S., China, Pakistan and Israel used beam-twisting "phase holograms" that are able to twist light beams into a helical shape similar to that of DNA. Each beam's individual twist can effectively create the equivalent of a new data stream channel — similar to a radio having separate channels — without the need for more bandwidth.

The lab test beamed the data across open space rather than through fiber-optic cables, so that researchers could simulate space communication between satellites. Such testing had funding from the U.S. military's Defense Advance Research Projects Agency (DARPA) under its "Information in a Photon" program. [Secret Codes Ready to Take Quantum Leap in Space]




posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions



posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by spleenika
reply to post by CIAGypsy
 


Who created the internet? DARPA.

Who is using said internet freely to accuse and abuse DARPA. You.

That's an interesting thing about science. The same advancements that help, can so often be used to harm. It takes humans to use science responsibly.

So what I'm saying is we are screwed, but its pretty cool.


acually it was an agency BEFORE darpa that "evolved" into darpa,
but im splitting hairs

the hundred year star ship program is run out of darpa,
so in a hundred years we could thank them for that


xploder





new topics

top topics



 
5

log in

join