It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do black cats cause bad luck?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
well heres some things that happened to my family a few years ago. my mom was driving and a black cat ran out in front of her car, two days later the car had a serious engine problem and had to be fixed (the mechanic said that it shouldnt have any pther problems for awhile), a week later another black cat ran in front of the car and shortly after that the engine broke down again. and sure enough more bad luck happened last month when i was walking my dog a black cat ran in front of us, my dog went crazy and started pulling on the leash( which he normaly does) but he actulay pulled so hard it tore the leash and he ran off. so im convinced that whole legend about a black cat crossing youre path is bad luck has to be true

anyone else here have a story about bad luck after seeing a black cat
edit on 5-10-2012 by connorromanow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I have a huge jet black cat and I'm always skint.

Nah, serously, I think you just had a couple of coincidences. Poor black cats have had a bad name for centuries. I'm sure it's Italy where they still kill black cats because they're very superstitious about them. Shame.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

yes ive heard about that, Im not happy about that

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
[SNIP]
Nah, seriously though, I hate it when a black cat manages to cross in front of me...
I feel like, "Oh no, he got me!"

edit on 5-10-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Just had a thought. Maybe they are bad luck but owning one cancels that out? Like putting the evil eye on your wall to ward off the evil eye. You better get a black cat and see if it makes a difference.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think the jury is still out, but the evidence is growing.
I once changed my directions while walking to avoid a black cat, but I walked under a ladder.
Nothing happened, there was no one on the ladder at the time.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
That's crazy, but for myself I always got out of my way to pet one if I see it.
That little superstitious me inside always questions it though lol

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by connorromanow
black cat ran in front of the car and shortly after that the engine broke down again. and sure enough more bad luck happened last month when i was walking my dog a black cat ran in front of us

it is well known throughout mythology that the Rephaim or eternally dead spirits are seen as ravens, crows and black cormorants.

A group of crows is called a 'murder'.
A group of ravens is called a 'unkindness'.

Black cats could be used by evil spirits. However i have never heard of this as true.

Try asking a pagan witch. i am sure they will know.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by otie1

there one in my neighboorhood thats pretty friendly and i can pet him if i have a moment

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

My cat is solid black and has never caused bad luck in any way. That's just an old wives tale- people used to think that all black cats were witches' familiars, and since they thought witches were "in league with Satan" and were "evil" that their familiars were "evil" by proxy and would bring bad luck. Those people were idiots, but somehow the ridiculous superstition survives to this day.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

because stuff like what i posted happens

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The whole argument shows me only what stupid little beings we can be. Worse, what horrific little beings we can be...Over the next few weeks, many innocent black cats will be tortured and/or killed because it's "Halloween" Any brain that even conceives the idea that black cats bring bad luck is no fully developed and any brain that willfully does harm to these creatures should be separated from the spinal column IMHO!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by connorromanow

because stuff like what i posted happens

Bad stuff happens all the time. It has nothing to do with black cats. I'm sure there are many people who suffer from a string of bad luck who have never even seen a black cat.

Cars break down. You get them fixed but the underlying problem wasn't spotted by the mechanic so it breaks down again- it happens frequently. And a lot of dogs get loose to chase cats, doesn't matter what color they are. One of my dogs dislocated my shoulder once because he jerked the leash so hard trying to go after a striped orange cat. Doesn't mean orange cats are bad luck. Once my car blew a head gasket shortly after swerving to miss a squirrel in the road. Doesn't mean squirrels are bad luck either.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

yes i know buts its still odd

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

@do black cats cause bad luck?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Best of my knowledge, the "myth and legend" of black cats being bad luck if they cross your path goes back centuries. They were believed to be the "familiars" of witches and if they crossed your path, that meant the saw you and would come for you at some later time.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
They are just cats, like any other cat. You can't help the color of your skin just as they cannot change the color of their fur.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I believe in England and Japan, a black cat brings GOOD luck, not bad luck, so there.

For a lot of folks, anything black or dark is deemed "bad" or "ominous". I have a 5 year old black indoor tom and I just pray he doesn't escape at this time of the year (Halloween) to roam the neighborhood. You never know what sort of kooks will try to harm cats who appear to challenge their thinking process.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I had a beautiful little black cat for over 19 years. She would come every time she was called. She would catch mice, bring them to me, and there was a crow that would then take away their little carcasses. Good arrangement.

My hubby used to call her my familiar.

Apparently I have a dark side so maybe I'm not the right person to ask

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Bad Luck?
No such thing. Period
On a informative note, the bombay cat is all black with orange eyes.
They are about the most layed back, coolest cats you will find.
Mine follows the dog around outside like a sidekick.

Break some mirrors, walk under a few ladders, step on a crack. Nothing happens.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join