It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.8%: This Is Economic Recovery?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

That is a pathetic post.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

I say the economy is improving. Please prove otherwise........

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by saracene
Some of you guys are just pathetic. We get some good news, but oh no, its suddenly a conspiracy and the books were cooked. Will anything Obama does, satisfy you?. Fact is nothing he does will satisfy you, because you think that the cultist multi-millionaire who dismissed 47% of the population will magically create millions of jobs. The guy with the magic underpants is looking after your interests. Give me a break and face reality. If you want to argue facts, then lets look at facts since 1980 as most of you posting this crap were probably born after that date, as I can not fathom anyone posting rubbish could be that mature and have developed a working brain.

Well, so far you've added nothing to this conversation except throw insults.

If you're so mature and have a developed working brain, why don't you use some data to back up your claims instead of just talking, like Obama!!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
They say a SOLID economy is 5% unemployment, I understand that people who don't understand economics will think a great economy is 1-2% unemployment, but that's just not realistic.... So a solid economy is 5% (that's what i was taught in my Macro/Micro classes) and we're at 7.8%, I wouldn't call this recovery at all, it may be a step in the right direction, but the road left ahead is long and hard (that's what she said
)....
edit on 5-10-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

All I know is that a few years ago, when another president was up for re-election and unemployment was in the 5% range, all the Democrats and liberals could say was how horrible the jobs situation was. And now, at 7.8%, I'm supposed to think everything is OK? Right. Even assuming the numbers are correct, they look like hypocrites to anyone who can remember their past behavior.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by alternateuniverse

I have to laugh. I sent an email to Greg Hunter on June 22 regarding Obama's October surprise. I had been seeing a bunch of nonprofits which were getting grants and offering jobs on Craigslist starting in August running through October... Here is what I sent Greg. Hunter's website is USAWatchdog.com

Greg, today I saw this ad on Craigslist for franklin county, VA for a woman to be a compliance buyer in our local area. I didn't think much of it but this is a government project which starts training in early August and lasts eight weeks...it is p/t..

I found the timing funny since a widespread program would cause job gains in August into October ...

There are also other counties where this is going on too. I don't know how many people would be hired nationwide but I could where several of the programs timed in the late summer/early fall would help push down the unemployment numbers... WOW, listen to me I been on ATS too much.. (abovetopsecret.com)

Obamas October surprise....

What do you think?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Lets be realistic, turning an economy around that almost crashed at the end of Bush's term isn't an easy fix even if there was a republican in office. There are just too many variables that come into play that affect the economy. It's not an exact science, so to believe that any one person can miraculously change an economy in just a few years is really looking at in very simplistic terms.

Consider just these few factors...

-We continue to lose manufacturing jobs to a global workforce that's undercutting our high cost of living wages in the U.S..

-The U.S. congress continues to support a foreign policy of imperialism that establishes foreign bases around the world and spends an enormous part of its budget on military spending. We spend more today on military spending than we did when Russia threatened us with nuclear missiles.

It used to be that military bases were built to wage wars, but increasingly it seems that wars are being waged to build bases. After every US military intervention since 1990, the Pentagon has left behind clusters of new bases in areas where it never before had a foothold. The string of new bases stretches from Kosovo and adjacent Balkan states, to Iraq and other Persian Gulf states, into Afghanistan and other Central Asian states. Collectively on a map, the bases appear to form a new US sphere of influence in the strategic “middle ground” between the European Union and East Asia, and may well be intended to counteract the emergence of these global economic competitors.

-The purchasing power of Americans has been on a steady decline, while the middle class has been shrinking for the past 40 years.

-The oil industries influence on our officials have prevented congress from passing a real energy plan to ween us off of fossil fuels and foreign oil. Our taxes continue to be used to support this industry instead of research and implementation of new forms of energy.

-The tax system is over taxing the middle class, while the welfare system, loop holes for the rich, and tax exempt policies our causing the middle class to make up the short falls.

-Our health system is causing the average American to lose their houses and their life savings due to long term care caused by debilitating illness, care for the elderly, and the high cost of prescriptions. The U.S. should be ashamed of their health care system. Talk about human rights abuse, we shouldn't be accusing other countries of human rights abuse when our own house isn't in order.

-The cost of government is skyrocketing because it wants to control issues that should be under the authority of state, local governments or private businesses.

These are just a few factors that are effecting the U.S. economy. So blaming it on any president is really political bias. The blame should be placed upon years of congress rubber stamping policies that have affected the decline of the U.S. economy. Let's put the blame squarely on congress and corporate influence on government policy.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

If your really interested in FACTS ... go to Shadowstats.com

Read John Williams and learn how the numbers are being manipulated by the Bureau of Lies and Shi...

Since many posters don't want to know or are too lazy to follow I will post some of John's words on the subject. This is an older piece from 2004 but it still holds true today. Also read John's primer on the CPI and it's cooked numbers.

www.shadowstats.com...

The household survey is conducted during the week that includes the 12th of the month. The payroll survey is conducted as of the payroll period that includes the 12th of the month. Other than for seasonal factors, the household survey gets revised only with series or population redefinition. The payroll series is revised for two months following the initial release and then again in an annual benchmark revision.

Where the household survey includes farm workers, the self-employed and workers in private homes, the payroll survey does not. The payroll survey counts jobs, making no adjustment for multiple jobholders. Yet, adjusting for all differences, the BLS never has been able to reconcile the two series within one million jobs.

Conventional wisdom in the financial community is that the payroll survey is more accurate, given its larger sampling base. To the contrary, the household is scientifically designed, and the error can be estimated to any degree desired. The payroll data are haphazard at best, and the BLS has no idea of potential reporting error.

The BLS estimates a 90% confidence interval for a change in the unemployment rate of ±0.22%, and a 90% confidence interval for the monthly change in payrolls of ±108,000. The BLS, however, admits the payroll survey's confidence interval is not solid, given built in biases and the lack of randomness in the monthly sample.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I like analogies, they simplify things for me ('cause I'm simple minded)

Imagine we are at location A.
In order to get to success and happy town (location B) we hire a driver, POTUS.

Now I know it takes time.
I will also caveat that it can't be done in just 4 years.

But when the driver (POTUS) is taking us to a different location (C) instead of B, we need to switch drivers.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Really why anyone even listens to these bozos and their jobs numbers anymore is beyond me.

It's all lies. Yeah, if unemployment is 7.8% then i am Jesus H. Christ.

Sad thing is they are fooling some people, after all Obama is still leading in the polls right?

Some just believe what they want to.... regardless of the evidence around them.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
No, but it's a start of a new trend.

It's that much, that could translate into so much more.

LOL...In 2004 the Democrats, these forums and the MSM were screaming about the end of America if we didn't get rid of Bush because of a 5.4% unemployment rate.

online.wsj.com...

"Democrats are celebrating the decline in the jobless rate, which only shows how their standards have changed since President Obama entered the White House. In 2004, they were lambasting George W. Bush for a September jobless rate that was 5.4%. "

edit on 6-10-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by HostileApostle

Why do you think republicans are immune to the destructive policies of Obama?

People, left and right have suffered greatly from this president.

They suffered from Bush's policies, you guys are too simple to remember that Obama did not
start this trend.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by campanionator

They suffered from Bush's policies, you guys are too simple to remember that Obama did not
start this trend.

I may be simple, but at least I don't support a POTUS making the same errors twice!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

start this trend.
Yes, always remember that if one idiot does something stupid, you are not allowed to complain if the next idiot (hope and change) does more of the same.

We must embrace the trend and support it, even though it sucks and flies in the face of Hope and Change.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The New Car Sales from sept were also the highest since the crisis began... the stock market is at a 5 year high... people are buying things.... why?

Because they found some jobs!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

start this trend.

I may be simple, but at least I don't support a POTUS making the same errors twice!

You mean fixing the economy?

That what from over 10% unemployment to under 8%?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Maybe if this is based on a telephone survey, those who have dropped off the unemployment figures can't afford a phone and can't be called? Are they calling land lines or cell phones, that's another problem, many people have given up the land line?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

start this trend.
Yes, always remember that if one idiot does something stupid, you are not allowed to complain if the next idiot (hope and change) does more of the same.

We must embrace the trend and support it, even though it sucks and flies in the face of Hope and Change.

We have added jobs for nearly three years

Unemployment is at 7.8% and falling

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

The New Car Sales from sept were also the highest since the crisis began... the stock market is at a 5 year high... people are buying things.... why?

Because they found some jobs!

America must fail!!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by campanionator

Yes, 7.8 %..... that's great.

When it was 5.4% the Democratic Party railed about how awful it was.

So they expected so much better of Bush at 5.4%, but when Obama has it at 7.8%, he is doing a brilliant job.

I guess they really have low expectations for Obama.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join