It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WA State is up in flames.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
on one hand...fires are a natural part of the forest cycle. some seeds won't germinate unless roasted to a certain temperature, which signals the seed it's clear above and safe to come out. the smokey-bear idea of all fires are bad and should be put out is passe.
on the other hand...does seem like strange weather all over. I just don't know how much this (fires, low Mississippi, drought) is part of the natural cycle, or whether it's...something else.

ps; Imperial Japan launched incendiary balloons from subs in WWII; I understand they are still found out in the deep woods. maybe al-Quaeda did some homework?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I lived in South Dakota during that insane ice storm, there was at least two inches of ice covering EVERYTHING. Couldn't get into my car the whole week to save my life, I can feel the throbbing pain in my rear from all the slipping and falling. Mitchell looked like a ghost town, not a single soul was out most of the time.

Major props to the work crews that got that state back on to the power grid as quick as they did, they must of put up thousands of new power poles and unimaginable amounts of power line!

GOOD LUCK this winter, and be well. Hopefully, mother nature stays sane!

Originally posted by works4dhs
ps; Imperial Japan launched incendiary balloons from subs in WWII; I understand they are still found out in the deep woods. maybe al-Quaeda did some homework?

This would not surprise me AT ALL. With how nuts the world has been, tactics like this would make perfect sense. Hit a man while he's down, and run. It's quick, simple, and for the most part silent. Really, in all actuality it's an insanely good tactic...especially during this drought year. I know a lot of the fires around here have been explained...but...you never know what could have happened! Some of it is speculation by the media and professionals, and they give their idea as to a reasonable explanation. Never know though...it's a wild world.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazz87

Here in Oregon it's the same, extreme fire danger and windy/low humidity. I don't remember the last time it rained. I was going to hunt the coast range this year, but conditions are not conducive to that activity at the moment. I feel for our neighbors to the north, and hope nothing like the Tillamook Burn happens to the coast range this year.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

The only deaths on U.S. soil from WWII happened here in Oregon due to one of those balloons exploding when a family found one in the woods.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by VikingWarlord

I was looking for some information on Wildfires in Oregon to add to the main post (little brotherly love I suppose). However, I only came up with one hit of a blaze that is over 85% contained at this point. Glad everything is fire free for the Oregonians. Hopefully the PNW can get some rain, and quick! Good Luck on the hunt if you ever get a chance to go.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

Thanks, we are lucky at the moment not to have any serious fires, for we are under a red flag (extreme fire danger) warning right now. All it takes is a careless smoker, a spark from a chainsaw, or an ember from a campfire and it will be a very different story. Good luck Firefighters to the North!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
reply to post by Advantage

I lived in South Dakota during that insane ice storm, there was at least two inches of ice covering EVERYTHING. Couldn't get into my car the whole week to save my life, I can feel the throbbing pain in my rear from all the slipping and falling. Mitchell looked like a ghost town, not a single soul was out most of the time.

Major props to the work crews that got that state back on to the power grid as quick as they did, they must of put up thousands of new power poles and unimaginable amounts of power line!

GOOD LUCK this winter, and be well. Hopefully, mother nature stays sane!

Originally posted by works4dhs

This would not surprise me AT ALL. With how nuts the world has been, tactics like this would make perfect sense. Hit a man while he's down, and run. It's quick, simple, and for the most part silent. Really, in all actuality it's an insanely good tactic...especially during this drought year. I know a lot of the fires around here have been explained...but...you never know what could have happened! Some of it is speculation by the media and professionals, and they give their idea as to a reasonable explanation. Never know though...it's a wild world.

Im in Southern Illinois though and these folks had NO idea how to deal with it all and werent prepared. I also dont think they learned any lessons
The thing was the ice hit after the late yr greening up.. and we had green trees snapping like mad. LARGE trees smashing homes and blocking roads.. and then no power.. no emergency vehicles could get around. It was a mess.

Ill take your sending of luck. Im thinking we will need it this winter. Much luck to you as well.. who the heck knows what the weather will do anymore.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Tillamook Burnreply to post by VikingWarlord

Sorry, I don't do much in the way of posting links, but here is a link to what I was referring to in an earlier post. TheTillamook burn was devastating to the coast range here, and only recently has the forest fully recovered. Smoke reached 30,000 feet into the air, I have read in a book that flames were over 2,000 feet high. Debris from the fires were seen 500 miles out to sea!

edit on 10/5/12 by VikingWarlord because: added something

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

You mention a careless smoker and the consequences and couldn't help but post this story from my neck of the woods to exemplify the extreme dangers... be carefull or this could happen!!!

Man starts fire, hit by train

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

Talk about instant karma.
Admittedly, I accidentally started a small fire about 12 years ago when I was driving my Dodge Powerwagon through a field of high grass when it was really hot out. I didn't realize, at the time, that the hot exhaust could start a fire immediately on contact. Fortunately, I always carry a fire extinguisher, and was able to get a handle on it before it really took off.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Had a generator start a fire while we were working up a cell tower, really opened my eyes as well to what ever the heat off a small exhaust can do when conditions are a tinder box like they are here along the coast of North America.

I fear as it is a holiday longweekend here, and with temp to stay in the 20's Celcius (72 F) that people will flock to the oppertunity to camp and as the temps lower over night leave fires going. I just hope the will have the where abouts to be extra carefull so the forest is still there to enjoy next year.

Fingers crossed people, please for the life of us all be aware, safe, and carefull, as well as fire smart this weekend. The risk is so elevated that one spark could be the end of hundreds of years of growth in an instant..

SaneThinking

top topics

<< 1   >>

join