It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WA State is up in flames.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

WA State is up in flames.

www.nasa.gov

"The summer of 2012 will unfortunately be known as the "Summer of Devastating Western Wildfires" and practically not one state out west was spared. Washington State has been hardest hit of late. This satellite image shows a rash of wildfires currently burning in the middle of the state."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abclocal.go.com
www.king5.com

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Right now the State of Washington is under extreme fire danger (red flag). As seen from the picture in the link, there are multiple wildfires burning across the region, stretching fire crews thin.

Not pictured is a fire that broke out in Western Washington (15 acres, 0 containment, and tripled in size in just under an hour-- due to low humidity, record dry weather, and high wind.) As well as a fire similar in size that has burning since Tuesday in Eastern WA.

With no sight of rain in the forecast, and more record dry days ahead, there is little to no sign for help outside of Fire Crews working day/night to contain and put the fires out. Hopefully, there will be limited injuries, and new fires don't break out anytime soon,

www.nasa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

Omak Wildfire

A Better Article on the Yakima Region Fires

Air Quality Map (Could be much worse)

edit on 4-10-2012 by MmmPie because: Added Links

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Floods, Drought, Tornadoes and now fires. Not to mention Manitoba got snow today...One of our food suppliers.

Washington still has food on the trees and food in the ground do they not?

Went to get my flour today at the wholesaler. Up $6 for 50lb bag and broccoli went from 1.29 to 2.99/bunch. I was told that this ain't nothing yet.

People are going to suffer this winter.

Damn

edit on 4-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Floods, Drought, Tornadoes and now fires. Not to mention Manitoba got snow today...One of our food suppliers.

Went to get my flour today at the wholesaler. Up $6 for 50lb bag and broccoli went from 1.29 to 2.99/bunch. I was told that this ain't nothing yet.

Damn

You're right and the degree of pile on from all directions has me starting to want to find Mother Nature more than Mr Murphy. She has a punch in the nose coming, the way this is all going.

It's like someone is standing over a map board and whatever area they look at and decide can absolutely use a certain weather type THE LEAST, thats what they're ordered to get. In quantity. Floods for some...Drought for others...Snow or Melting equally around the world. The only thing seemingly in common to all the weirdness is that whatever the event, it's what the area is hurt by or absolutely doesn't need more of. The Arctic melts while the Antarctic freezes thicker..and on it goes.. Wild times..

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
have they blamed muslims yet!!!

that train is sometimes late...but always on time!

lol
peace

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Fires are natural. Nature cleansing the brush to make way for new growth. Sure its unfortunate that people loose their house because of fire, but houses are rebuildable.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7
Fires are natural. Nature cleansing the brush to make way for new growth. Sure its unfortunate that people loose their house because of fire, but houses are rebuildable.

Exactly, I could careless about homes...I just hope no one is injured. I've read that the indigenous people in The US used to have controlled burns every so often, just to clear out some of the thick underbrush to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I dont think you can spark a couple thousands of acres and then call it a "controlled burn"
Take it from an old fire fighter that once they get a head of steam up, the anything goes......
The fire season seems rather mild actually specially with the lack of rain out here in the PNWest

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I live in Seattle and we have not had rain for literally about 90 days. It's insane.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato
I live in Seattle and we have not had rain for literally about 90 days. It's insane.

I live in Shelton, just outside of Olympia, and yes...little to no rain all summer. I'm used to maybe a week or two of rain, but there might have been one day of light light drizzle in the morning. I mean, WA on average has less rain that most of the country it's just spread out to more days)...this climate situation is jacked up right now though!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie

Originally posted by Alchemst7

Exactly, I could careless about homes...I just hope no one is injured. I've read that the indigenous people in The US used to have controlled burns every so often, just to clear out some of the thick underbrush to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Cold..... but I hope the people are safe. I Can tell you I wouldn't want my house to burn down, would you????
edit on 4-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato

but but but..... You don't have a drought in Washington. Uncle Sammy says so.

Now consider this.... If 90 days you're talking about and the forests around Seattle being that bone dry .......and NOT qualifying for drought ratings? The rest of the country is about screwed for anything agricultural at the moment.

The scary thing is..this is natural too. Just like the fires... The drought is natural and it's happened before. It came with severe economic depression then too. They called that one the Dust Bowl years.

I say scary because the Dust Bowl conditions and drought that caused it got much worse than we've seen yet and all but totally broke the spirit of a large area of the nation. I really hope all this isn't cyclical. If HAARP works, the order is Rain and hold the lightning,....from the Pacific Coast to the Atlantic Coast would be about right for area and any time now for when.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Don't get me wrong, it would suck for people to lose a house. I would hate to have my house. However, lost houses can be rebuilt...lost lives cannot. All I'm saying.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Here in the lower mainland of BC we had notices go out in our papers today about the extreme fire danger over the long weekend due to as others have said a lack of any moisture for some time now. Very very strange for the pacific northwest to be so dry. In Vancouver it's usually umbrellas and thicker shoes by now. But i'm still in light pants wearing a spring type jacket to work, past couple days have been crisp in the mornings but not really like i'm used too...

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

I live in Escondido, CA and I remember the 2007 Witch Creek Fires. I had to evacuate and luck my home didn't go. I do know a few people who did loose there homes. That is definatley a memory that has stuck with me. I remember driving down Del Dios Hwy by Lake Hoges and the Hills were charred. Beautiful Oak groves turned black.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
have they blamed muslims yet!!!

that train is sometimes late...but always on time!

lol
peace

Russia has certainly taken up that notion....

Eco-terrorism? Russian security service blames forest fires on Al Qaeda

Large parts of Europe were ablaze this summer — as was the European economy — as fires destroyed large swaths of forests in the south of the continent. While some of those fires have been blamed on arsonists, the Russian security services have found another source of blame: Al Qaeda.

Eco-terrorism......whatta you know.

Peace

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Doesn't look like it's going to let up soon even though we're supposed to have rain this weekend ...first time in forever! The air quality has been pretty bad due to the fires for the last month or so in So. Idaho and Washington, the air remains blanketing the area.

“I don’t ever remember it being quite this bad,” Anderson said.

Some areas are on orange and red quality alert which means...

Orange air quality is considered unhealthy for sensitive groups. Older adults, seniors and people who suffer from lung diseases are encouraged to avoid strenuous outdoor activity.

Source

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I live in Ellensburg, WA (unfortunately very near a lot of these fires) and the radio was saying that we have now had more days of "hazardous" air quality then any other year to date because of these continuous fires. The sad thing is we're the cause of these huge fires. Years of aggressive fire control have allowed forests and grass to grow unhealthily out of control, it doesn't take much for a very large area to ignite. On top of that... The Taylor Bridge Fire (which was burning just outside of town and burned almost 30,000 acres) was caused by a careless welder. The state of Washington hired a construction company to do some work on the road. The construction company was explicitly warned by local fire and law enforcement NOT to weld after 1pm. Lo and behold and errant welding spark caused the whole place to ignite around 4-5pm.
edit on 10/5/2012 by Lorienth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Reallllly sucks.

Gonna be tough to put venison in the freezer next week. No good.

Seattle here, and agree no rain and it's been awesome but of course when we need it, it's no where to be seen.

Good luck to any hunters here in the N.W. and obviously anyone in the path of these fires.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Washington still has food on the trees and food in the ground do they not?

Damn

I hear you. Im in the midwest US and I have NO idea how to prepare for this winter. Who really knows what its going to do. We had a terrible drought.. now its raining. Overly warm. Last time this happened with the late season blooming we had a freak ice storm that destroyed a lot of things.. including for us personally no power for over a week. Some for months. Our food prices here are ridiculous. WIth the drought slaughters the meat prices SHOULD be lower with flooding the market with beef, etc. Nope.. steadily rising. People are getting pissed. Our gas goes up and down. .20 or more rise overnight and unpredictable. Today its 3.79. Yesterday it was 3.59. Go figure.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join