It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese purchase of wind farms in Oregon blocked by President Obama

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Seems like a legit security decision to me.

This move has been brewing for awhile. The Navy had voiced objections to the proximity of the wind farm to its base months ago. And Ralls had earlier sued the U.S. Government for blocking the project, for which it was hoping to collect $25 million in federal renewable energy tax credits. Ralls dropped the lawsuit a week ago. The company has acquired two other wind projects, in Massachusetts and Texas — neither of which appear to have drawn the objection of the feds.

Relocate, and everyone is happy. Chinese company gets 25 million in tax credits and Obama gets more job creation in clean energy to take credit for.

Forb es Article

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

No, is not about stopping this deal because America is been sold, as a matter of fact, California is been invaded by China deals and even banks has been acquired by China, I don't see anything in the news telling that Obama is stopping this.

This due to the air space in the area where the wind farms are located.

edit on 30-9-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
well, allowing chinese nationals so close to a drone facility is horrible military strategy.

they could send military analysts to observe the drones.

when the drones train, they give away tactics, altitude, capabilities, weaknesses, what type of weather they can operate in, accuracy, flying patterns etc.

they can also use the windmills as cover to set up mini radar stations to test their effectiveness at painting drones and tracking their movements and attack formations.

it's a no brainer.

edit on 30-9-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I think Woodrow Wilson was just the cat's A$$, he sold us all down the river to J.P. Morgan and his gaggle of sociopathic bankster parasites better known as the FED. Least Obama can sing an Al Green song. AL GREEN BEOTCHES!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Thanks for clarifying! I knew that it was blocked, I thought it was Bush but apparently it was Congress. Either way the point is that the government blocks sales like this from time to time, I suppose this is a bigger deal because we like to piss off China.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There is a MAJOR point that we are missing in all of this ASIDE from allowing the Chinese to purchase technology centers in the US.

The BIG picture I think Obama is looking at is this:

-> do not allow more countries to purchase property and technology in the US because:

1) it may allow the US to become more easily penetrated by foreign military in the future (national home security would be threatened)

2) it takes away from Gross Domestic Product (ie. the US cannot make any money long term by having foreign companies BUY out all of the resources the US would otherwise produce to SELL to those foreign countries who currently buy that product or service).

This is simple economics 101. Protect your current domestic businesses of production in order to prevent foreign takeover.

DONALD TRUMP also understands this concept and would also favour and congratulate OBAMA for the administrative action he just took.

I would wish that Canada would follow Obama's lead too. Not sure if that is happening currently.
edit on 30-9-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Smartest thing Obama has ever done since his administration began. We don't need China investing anymore in the U.S., theyre already going to own our children. This is the beginning of them trying to monopolize the economy in the U.S. and when were so dependant on them, then the threats of withdrawing and causing the U.S. to collapse will keep us firmly in slavery to them. Ofcourse this is a cat and mouse game we're going to lose eventually because of corporatism. Used to be companies would keep their businesses in america for patriotism, so we were propping up our own economoy, not someone else, but that aint the case now. Now the almighty dollar trumps patriotism. People who built this country like J.P. Morgan and Rockefeller are selling us out to the highest bidder.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Which is why we need to get rid of the corporations. International corporations should not be able to own land in the US, they can rent.

The ICs are leaches, we would be better off without them.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Isn't America already run by multinational corporations with beginnings in other countries?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
BTW, this is happening a lot in Australia, too. Especially Chinese Government owned mining companies buying a lot of property.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Why?

Why did Obama stop the purchase?

Afraid I'm going to have to echo Jude here. We have a POTUS dictating what can and cannot be purchased?

Am I giddy about a foreign power making purchases in the US?
No.

But there is no law against it. Unless I'm wrong about that.

National Defense.

No other law, excuse, explanation, essay or six part mini-series on the subject is required.

So people are suggesting that China be permitted to own land and operate a business right on the doorstep of one of your most secretive military installations, in YOUR OWN COUNTRY?

Even a friendly nation like the UK would be refused this, and yet you think it's out of line that China - a nation repeatedly guilty of cyber attack - be permitted to just do what it likes?

Seriously, I think your hatred of Obama has started to eat away at your brain.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I would guess it is because the wind turbines farms can give false radar readings. Its nothing against the Chinese. The same here happened up here for that reason.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
well, allowing chinese nationals so close to a drone facility is horrible military strategy.

Chinese nationals work inside America's defense labs/contractors and universities MAKING the drones and all relevant technology.

Northrup Grumman used the H-1 visa program to hire a man from India, Noshir Gowadia. He helped design and build the B-2 bomber among other secret things.

He gave the blueprints of the B-2 bomber to China and other countries. He even designed China a stealth cruise missile.

You paid him. Northrup Grumman brought him into America to work in their secret facilities on secret things.

Right now we have foreigners still working on your supposed "secret" things. Amerika.....LOL...FAIL.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Personally I am against all things made in China, or things in America owned by any other country for that matter.....I walk through my house and recognize everything is made in China and it makes me very angry so now I try to buy only Made in America.......

We have become the consumers of the world with nothing to offer except weapons, and even those parts are made in China. Where is the real problem? We need to bring back American manufacturing with cleaner energy. It will be a long transition, but it might be worth it......

Didn't I just read a post about China trying to hack our grid system? It all sounds curious to me why China would want to own Americas power sources anyway.....

I don't know...... The president, no matter who it is, is damned either way. America is near its downfall, like the downfall of Rome.....

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Good call Obama, don't sell of your assets, like Australia is and has done..

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If it wasn't election year and Mitt Romney wasn't pushing Obama so hard on China in his ads, he might have made a different decision.

I'm mixed on this....on one hand bringing these wind farms to Oregon would have opened up a lot of jobs, but on the other hand, China is continuing to buy more American assets, now it's land and not debt.

On the other hand, if China started manufacturing products in the U.S. will it be cheap crap stamped with 'Made in the USA' or still stamped 'Made in China'?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
perhaps North America should learn something from a third world nation and implement it.

in the Philippines ONLY PHILIPPINOS can OWN LAND. non philipinos can rent or lease land but may not own it. the only exception is condos which everyone knows you really don't own the land they are on. if i remember correctly one of the so called reasons japan took over the Philippines in ww2 was to "protect their interests". guess they don't want that happening again so they made sure and made a law against outsiders owning land. sounds like something china especially would do considering the way they are going after the spratlys and the islands they are disputing with japan over.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
For the people doubting this decision, it's a rare moment where I will say, that's the right thing the president did.

Think about it, do you really want another super power owning your power source? Even if it's a certain percentage, it's someone other than the people using the power, owning it, that doesn't sit right with me.

Would you let someone else own your car while you drive it, oh yeah I forgot, people still do that too... An I am called weird, just because I want to own things that are important?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

For the people doubting this decision, it's a rare moment where I will say, that's the right thing the president did.

Agreed

Think about it, do you really want another super power owning your power source? Even if it's a certain percentage, it's someone other than the people using the power, owning it, that doesn't sit right with me.

But…

The company has acquired two other wind projects, in Massachusetts and Texas — neither of which appear to have drawn the objection of the feds.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I'm not saying its right, but the ones on the east coast are a joke, wind farms here aren't as big as they are out west, so maybe that might of been the reasoning?

I do know that the farms out west are insanely huge, maybe it was a ploy on the Chinese to see how far they could get in the wind farm purchasing aspect, east coast was small potatoes but out west they are something more.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join