It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Art of Protest in Pictures.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
In the last couple of years we have seen a worldwide increase in protest. Sometimes it looks like the world is tumbling into a state chaos. Mass protest and acts of civil disobedience show us glimmers of hope.

To me the recent spate of protests can be linked back to the mega dump by Wikileaks. After the site got Ddos by the US government many sprung to WLs aid and defense. Such was the origin of the First Cyber War. Many battles ensued and battles are still ongoing.

Further protests ensued with the lighting of the Arab spring. This movement started in Tunisia. Wikileaks along with social media sights played an important role in igniting the fuse. This protest was both analog and digital in nature.

More recently we say the emergence of the occupy protests. At one point there where over 1000 protest worldwide at the same time.

With the collapsing of the banking system many of these protests turned more ugly like what is happening in Greece and Spain. Governments are collapsing and there is anarchy on the streets. It is worth noting that all the above protests have been supported by Anon.

I want this thread to not be about the rights and wrongs of activism but more about the graphical side. It is more a celebration of protest through artistic and graphical form.

So anyone with any pictures of protest or art of protest not necessarily limited to the above. Please feel free to post....

I will start with this. If I remember correctly it was taken in Canada

Not sure where this was taken looks to me like OWS -USA.

Taken in Egypt after the army had been sent in to remove the protesters.

Speaks for itself..

and a few closer to my heart..

Greece a few days ago...

A Banksy from back in about 2005

and I had to finish with this image from the Tiananmen square protests. China.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Great pictures man. I love Banksy's art so much. The first picture is pretty epic as well.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
great thread OP s + f

should be very interesting to see what others pic are posted up...

i have a few here - the first being a disturbing, but sad and moving picture...

The burning monk - Thich Quang Duc who burned himself to death - he was protesting the persecution of Buddhists by South Vietnam's Roman Catholic government led by Ngo Dinh Diem.

This is of Lt. John Pike who is just casually walking by pepper spraying protesters......

and the last two are some slightly lighter ones...

protesting duck..!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
My favorite! This was taken somewhere in Russia during a violent protest.

edit on 29-9-2012 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

Thank you for posting that. Its a great photo. I saw it at the time but forgot about it after...

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Two men shot Muhammad Al-Durra five years ago , on Sept 30, 2000, two days after the outbreak of Intifada II: The occupation soldier who shot the fatal bullet that killed him, and the photo journalist who shot the iconic picture that immortalized him. Muhammad, of course, was the 12-year old boy killed in the arms of his father, who had vainly tried to shield him from harm as both crouched, compressed and trapped, between a low wall and a large metal barrel at the Netzarin Junction.

The harrowing image, filmed by Palestinian cameraman Talal Abu Rahma for France 2 television, carries the emblematic power of a battle flag. Its heart-rending intensity, its fevered veracity, puts it beyond all rational understanding. It is a lasting image of the war against the Palestinian people and how Israel has conducted it.

Source: Palestine Chronicle

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
17-year-old Keith Smith at Monday's (01/09/12) RNC protest, hours before his mother says he was beaten by police.

G20 Protest 2009.

I like this one - The Flower Power Protest late 1960's against the Vietnam War.

Spanish protests in Madrid - sums it up well...

I love this picture, because they look like they're having fun and enjoying it..! Why the police look so glum with those happy smiling faces in front of the, I don't know.
Students hug riot policemen during a protest against an education reform bill, in Bogota on October 26 2011.

Peace out man... fluffx

edit on 2-10-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

An Italian man has eluded Vatican security and scaled the 130-metre-high dome of St. Peter’s Basilica to protest Italian government and European Union policies.
Officials said Wednesday that the man, who identified himself as the owner of a beach resort, refused appeals from government ministers offering to meet with him if he would come down.
He put up a banner saying “Help! Enough Monti!” referring to Italian Premier Mario Monti, who has been implementing tough austerity measures and economic reforms to bring down Italy’s debt and deficit and spur growth.

www.youtube.com...
(link not embedding)

www.thestar.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Guys you would like to party with, this dare devil drives into a group of riot police and gets shot at with tear gas, not sure of location of photo, but non the less, this guy is not scared of nothin

CX

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Not quite a protest pic, but the banjo of activist Pete Seeger....the words say it all....

Looks like i found me a new avatar.

CX.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Good picture. How do I put a picture on ATS.

CX

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Cheers.

reply to post by onedering

What i do is this....

1. Save an image to your computer (i do it to my desktop, as long as you remember where it is. Make sure it's within the size limits of what is allowed on ATS. I usually adjust the size in an editing software.

2. Go to "tools" on your ATS tabs up there to the right of the "My ATS" tab. Click that.

3. Then click on "ATS uploads", this will bring up your pics page, and on the left it will say "Select image file". Pick the one you want from your computer and open it, this will then upload it to your ATS pics page.

4. The uploaded pic will show as a thumbnail on the page, clicking it will bring up the pic full size. Under the pic will be various codes, one will say it is for use posting your pic in a post or thread. it will start with [pic]

5. Highlight that code, and paste it into your reply.

If thats a bit long winded or there is an easier way, i'm sure someone will be along shortly to give a better reply.

That should sort you for now.

CX.
edit on 15/10/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Not sure of piks whereabouts...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Palestine..

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

We are the Power...!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 06:33 AM