It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's debate!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Give your teams names... and everyone on each team should use the same avatar.

We'll discuss the topic in cosmic, decide what the two sides represent, then pick the first two teams to debate, and which represents which side of the issue by coin toss.

Tomorrow, the debate will be announced. We'll used these general guides for now;

Each team begins with an opening statement from its captain.
Then we alternate posts from each team, cycling through team members so that everyone has 4 posts. Then, each team picks a member to present the closing argument. Once the closing arguments are presented, the debate is closed and a poll is established to allow ATS members to vote on the winning team.

This should be fun.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Let's just debate about debating LOL!!

When can we start? I'm ready...I think..anyway whose on what team and who are the opps?
Magestica

Ahh...William, you read my mind. OK lets get it together boys and girls!

[Edited on 4/30/03 by magestica]

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
yes I'd like to join in as well pls

or is it men only?

blackwidow

dom

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I would just say that deciding sides of an argument based on a coin toss is likely to lead to some slightly farcical debates. It would probably be better to try to let the teams decide who wants to represent each side of the argument.

Debating isn't all about seeing how good you are at lying about your own beliefs...

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Nope..I'm a female and I'm gonna kick arse with my sappy self! I'll just drown the other team out with me sappiness...blah! So yes!! females are allowed..
Magestica

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dom
I would just say that deciding sides of an argument based on a coin toss is likely to lead to some slightly farcical debates. It would probably be better to try to let the teams decide who wants to represent each side of the argument.

Debating isn't all about seeing how good you are at lying about your own beliefs...

Actually, an arbitrary process of assigning the "sides" of a debate is the tried-and-true method of formal debate societies... going all the way back to Oxford. This tests not your veracity on a subject, but your ability to intelligently present one side of an arguement... even if you happen to disagree. Such a process can be challenging and phenominally rewarding.

In the future, we'll allow debate teams to present established "sides" to a predefined topic... but this seems like an interesting way to kick-off the debate forum.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Ill, Nans I'm with you (am I ever not?)

Shall we be a team?

XAOS

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
BW666 You with us?

XAOS

dom

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hmm, ok William, having never got myself involved in the debating societies at Cambridge I'll just say that it sounds about right for politicians to set it up that way.

Still doesn't mean that I'm going to be able to justify Bush's policies on Iraq without coming over slightly farcically! (particularly as everyone knows full well where I stand on that one.
)

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
If anyone is looking to round out a team....

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
We're zeroing in on a topic... and here's a hint, it will likely be alien-related.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
darn

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hey I got left out
O'well
If you still need a member, Im in, Just tell me what team

[Edited on 4/30/2003 by FoxStriker]

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Illuminati, are you trying to gain sympathy from us for some reason? What a bunch of BS. You should know I'd be happy to be on a team with you. And that is the truth as it goes against my conservative nature to award pity-points!

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Gazrok and myself would n`t mind forming another team if there is anyone else out there who would like to join us.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Cassini and Gazrok I'll join up with you guys.

Yea ill join with you guys. We need one more I think

[Edited on 4/30/2003 by FoxStriker]

AF1

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Hell I'd join up with you guys, but I won't have anytime in the next few days, school is ending and I won't be able to get to a comp as often. Maybe another time.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Well ... Whatever the team's are ... The team captain's should get the title of master-debater... Been thinking about that aaalll day now

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   

hardy har har

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Uhm....no thank you!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join