It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News broadcasts man committing suicide

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I do not blame Fox News for what they showed, I saw it not long after it happened on YOUTUBE, it is news and snit happens, they can't help that!!
edit on 28-9-2012 by WhoDat09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
And shame on you for buying into Fox "News" brand of quasi-journalism - fake news and car chases. It doesn't surprise me that someone's death/suicide 'accidentally' ended up being broadcast live, it was only a matter of time before that happened. You can whine about CBS all you want, just remember Fox was the first network to ever air the live broadcast of someone committing suicide on air.

That wasn't any kind of whine about CBS, I can assure you, I was merely pointing out how it works to share something that I know to be true, really. It seems we can't even do that around here any more without being called names and being put into some kind of imaginary cult.

I don't watch, or follow, any single news station exclusively, I watch all of them.

That doesn't mean I don't still find your "opportunity" to lash out less than honorable. You jumped all over it.

Hell, I was caught by surprise when it happened, and I was going to see the whole thing whether it ended up on the air or not... period. I see that kind of stuff all the time.

This one really gave me a startle though, more than most.

Here's what I posted 5 minutes after it happened, long before I ever knew it had been aired.

Link

Do take a look, you might even see why I'm having a little issue with the ethics of making it a tool.

I wasn't going to mention it, but it seems a person has to defend himself at every turn.

Sometimes things aren't always as they seem.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Nice shot placement!

At least it's on tape so the police can't be accused of killing an unarmed minority.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by lernmore

And shame on you for buying into Fox "News" brand of quasi-journalism - fake news and car chases. It doesn't surprise me that someone's death/suicide 'accidentally' ended up being broadcast live, it was only a matter of time before that happened. You can whine about CBS all you want, just remember Fox was the first network to ever air the live broadcast of someone committing suicide on air.

OMG, Fox News Haters run and gather around the poster,,,,,,, Blackmarketeer, Why do you even post lies like this:

Fox was the first network to ever air the live broadcast of someone committing suicide on air.

How about 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald was shot in Dallas by Jack Ruby while being transferred to a county jail.
Live TV.
1974, Christine Chubbuck, a television news reporter for WXLT-TV in Florida, committed suicide on live television by firing a revolver shot into her head.
Live TV.
I remember a Daniel Jones, ended a live televised stand-off with police on a Los Angeles freeway by committing suicide, shooting himself in the chin with a shotgun. The event, which took place in the afternoon and was witnessed by many children whose after-school cartoons had been interrupted in order to broadcast the incident, which originally began as a high-speed pursuit.
Live TV and Not Fox News!
There are many more, how about that news-man at the Zeppelin Fire, Didn't he broadcast live as people jumped or were crushed or burned to death,,,,, OH,,, That was Fox News Too!!!!

You can watch any of those Reality TV Shows and I would think they'd like to see some one die.

edit on 28-9-2012 by guohua because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2012 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

Well it is not really news. There were dozens of far more important, yet less entertaining, things going on in the world than some petty thug getting chased by some cops.

I guess Fox news could do a live broadcast of me taking a shower. I guess "snip" could happen and they could broadcast my private parts on national TV. Even if broadcasting my private parts was a mistake, what is a supposedly responsible and legitimate "news" organization doing filming my shower? Aren't there more important things in this world? Couldn't they be doing the media's job in a democracy by educating the public?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

MOD NOTE:
Clip of actual shooting removed.

edit on Mon Oct 1 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Can't say I was shocked. Seen far worse and closer clips before.

The only fault I can see here is those on the feed switch we not on the ball. if there's 5 seconds delay, in time to kill the feed and cut to a commercial should something go wrong, they failed to adhere to it.

still, non-event to me. I don't much like car thieves anyway.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
It's a joke a major news network stoops to showing car chases like it's big news. Or should i say a pretend wanna-be network, that when they are not showing obama hate rhetoric they fill the gap in programming with stupidity like car chases. I can get all that on cops and truTV.

It's tabloid journalism, and someone fell asleep at the kill switch with the 5-second delay.

Isn't FOX the same network that has been setting the bar lower and lower on the raunchiness shown on television anyhow? They got no room to complain about how screwed up kids are anymore.

/rant

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Here's my question.. where was the delay? If anything (to anyone that watched it or has seen it) the delay was to Shep. He was seeing the video 5 seconds after us. Is that the mistake they made? We saw it live, he saw it delayed in the studio. The guy had already shot himself when shep started saying to stop it.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Macabe

You think this is new? Go back to the late 80's. Budd Dwyer. That as intentionally publicised during prime time, without warning.

The human race is a spectator race. Simple as that.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Today I learned reality is filtered. Even on FOX News no less. Imagine that.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
how long will this one last?
all other threads created today got 404'ed

on what happened - stuff happens, I can't see why not show what happened when
there is death and suicide and the like all over tv in shows.

No son this is fake is a tv show
No son what happened when the camera when off , remember that show ....

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I remember watching this as breaking news shortly after it happened. I was a young teenager watching this man calmly pull out a gun and tell everyone to back away. It was so surreal and I kept thinking to myself, ok when are you going to cut away? Ok, you can stop now and then bang he shot him self! No warning, nothing, just a nice close up of a suicide as if I had been sitting in the front row of the press conference. I always considered this as one of the first events that would begin to desensitize the general public to horrific acts such as this. At the time there was no Internet so you just never came accross disturbing material like this.

CX

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Willease

Just to say, that'll probably get removed.

To be honest. all stations air chases, and i'm actually surprised Fox uses a time delay......i think you can see the Shep Smith is gutted by what happened.

No i don't think they should give them air time at all (that's Fox or car chases), but whilst they do, i think they t least had something in place to try and avoid this kind of thing happening.

Hopefully now they'll change thier policy on it.

Have to think though, if that guy was running towards my area like that, i'd like to have an aerial view of where he was.

CX.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
You think this is new? Go back to the late 80's. Budd Dwyer. That as intentionally publicised during prime time, without warning.

The human race is a spectator race. Simple as that.

Did they have the five second delay back then? I know it was a complete surprise when he pulled that pistol out of the envelope and shot himself.

Trivia: Cops in the local area would put their sidearms in "holy joe" inter-office envelopes and call them, "Bud Dwyer holsters."

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I'm not sure if they had some of kind of tape delay back then, probably did. In this case though, everything happened about a half hour before hand and was all recorded and played back on the noon newscast. I guess you can say they had a 30 minute tape delay in effect but still decided to show it, to the horror of many unsuspecting viewers.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
reply to post by Willease

Just to say, that'll probably get removed.

To be honest. all stations air chases, and i'm actually surprised Fox uses a time delay......i think you can see the Shep Smith is gutted by what happened.

No i don't think they should give them air time at all (that's Fox or car chases), but whilst they do, i think they t least had something in place to try and avoid this kind of thing happening.

Hopefully now they'll change thier policy on it.

Have to think though, if that guy was running towards my area like that, i'd like to have an aerial view of where he was.

CX.

I'm surprised it hasn't been removed yet.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Don't they usually have like a 5 second window to cut the feed? Why didn't they cut it?

The guys reaction seems really fake too, maybe I'm the only one who feels that way? He was even saying early in the video that the situation made him nervous and scared, so why couldn't they cut the feed when they knew the situation could get bad way in advance?

I'm not one to jump to conclusions but the whole set up of the clip struck me as odd.
edit on 30-9-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

That was tasteless.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

That was tasteless.

Meh.

Tasteless is the graphic violence and blood you see at your R rated movie. Don't see anyone mewing and whining over that. "Saw", "Hostel" and movies of that ilk have more blood and gore than that little video clip.

Let him serve as an inspiration for all the other dip#s who want to engage in high speed chases.

I liked it. He showed motivation and determination, and you don't see that in today's youth anymore. He even had the courtesy to do it outside, making clean up easier and keeping the car clean for auction.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join