It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs the MSM to get the news? Nobody! Free To Air Satellite

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Getting some pretty good live helicopter footage of the fire near Wrightwood, CA.

Looks like it's about 1/2 mile east of town and moving quickly west.

8500 acres so far in an area with big trees.

Galaxy 16 @ 99W 11770V

edit to add: CBS News is reporting only 3500 acres, but I just heard him say 8500... not sure which is right. Bombers and tankers are now inbound to help protect the homes, they were just waiting for the winds to die down.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
So if you can get all these different TV feeds can you also use your set up to point at other satellites and get those transmissions whatever they might be.

I don't really know what you might be looking for but you might come across some interesting data - or will everything be super dooper encrypted?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
So if you can get all these different TV feeds can you also use your set up to point at other satellites and get those transmissions whatever they might be.

I don't really know what you might be looking for but you might come across some interesting data - or will everything be super dooper encrypted?

Hehe, what...free TV isn't enough?

FTA boxes, for all intents and purposes, will only scan certain frequency ranges. Anything you're not supposed to be privy to would most certainly be encrypted as well.

I'll keep my eye out for any transmissions from ET though!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Lernmore, do you have any opinions on this box? It appears to have a blindscan feature. That's good, right?

www.satellite-depot.com...

I have a chance of picking up the receiver, two 33" sats and 3 LNB's for $200.

I emailed the seller and asked what freq the LNB's broadcast (high or low).
I am waiting to hear back.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Just caught your thread that is great news, lol.

I dont have the start up but sure wish I did it would be like vouerism at its finest.

One thing, my first impression of your Op (so many pages and posts back) was to wonder if in a media black out for the GP if your system would still be up and running?

I bet it would at intermittently...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Lernmore, do you have any opinions on this box? It appears to have a blindscan feature. That's good, right?

Sure, that would work just fine, blind scan is what you want (to catch those temporary feeds that go up and down). Sounds like a reasonable price too.

Even if it doesn't come with a motor (for the dish), with that setup you could still hook both dishes up to the one box with a switch. (I'm constantly switching between 5 or so satellites, so I just use one dish with a motor.)

As far as the low band LNB goes (10750), my guess is that, since the dishes are 33", there's a good chance that one or both will have a low band LNB. Dish Network and DTV etc. use approx 18" dishes and the 11250 LNB. Even if they are the latter, they're cheap and you can install them on the dishes, and select the LNB type in the UI of the STB. (set top box).

One thing, my first impression of your Op (so many pages and posts back) was to wonder if in a media black out for the GP if your system would still be up and running?

In a real media blackout, I'm guessing the various outlets would be specifically instructed to keep their cameras and crews out of the area entirely. Case in point...

During the G-20, the first day there was lots of great footage and live feeds coming out of Pittsburgh. Reporters with their cameras rolling, were running from tear gas etc. The next day I must have scanned the Satellites 6 times and nothing... not one live feed. I caught a few taped interviews of protesters later in the day, but again, nothing was coming out of that city "live" from Thursday through the rest of the "event".

With that kind of action, I just couldn't see the story hungry MSM miss out on something like that unless they were told to.

That said, however, during the Tea Party Protests in D.C., since the feeds from the podium were coming from a private source, I was able to watch the whole thing, and listen to the speeches basically all day with no commercials, and the MSM hardly even gave it a mention.

edit: oops, forgot a forward slash in one of my EX tags.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore

As far as the low band LNB goes (10750), my guess is that, since the dishes are 33", there's a good chance that one or both will have a low band LNB. Dish Network and DTV etc. use approx 18" dishes and the 11250 LNB. Even if they are the latter, they're cheap and you can install them on the dishes, and select the LNB type in the UI of the STB. (set top box).

[edit on 16-10-2009 by lernmore]

I'm confused now. I thought DTV and the like are propriatary and I should steer clear of them?

So If I understand, even if they are high band I can "over ride" them in the user interface on the set top box?

[edit on 18-10-2009 by venividivici]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by venividivici

I'm confused now. I thought DTV and the like are propriatary and I should steer clear of them?

The Viewsat is an FTA STB, so that's the one you want. it has nothing to do with DTV. I was merely saying that since those dishes you were looking to buy were 33", they most likely have a low band LNB already attached. If, for some reason they have a high band LNB attached, you can simply replace them. (the LNB is just that device that sits out in front of the dish on the arm, and they're easily interchangable. Some people actually DO use the bigger dishes for their proprietary STB's, but not too often.

So If I understand, even if they are high band I can "over ride" them in the user interface on the set top box?

That Viewsat will work with many types of LNBs. (C band, KU band, Dish-Pro etc.) In the UI of that Viewsat STB, in the "antenna" setup, you simply choose which type of LNB you have attached to your dish. (proprietary receivers like those that come with DTV setups may not give you the option of which type of LNB you'd like to use)

For instance, if you scan, say, satellite 119W, which delivers "Dish Network" programming with a high band LNB attached to your dish, you'll still see the transponders and the channels listed in what it found, but they will be scrambled when you change to that channel.

Buy it..

Hope that helps.

edit to add:

This is a picture of an LNB

The type and frequency range should be clearly marked on a label, which is affixed to the outside of the device.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Okay. got it.

I thought the receiver AND LNB were propriatary. Now I know just the receiver.

I looked into nFusion receivers and although they are a little more expensive don't they provide more upgradability? In terms of "3rd party cards" you can install in them.

There are tons of receivers and FTA hardware in the used market in my area right now so I'm not going to pull the trigger too fast. I can wait until a great deal falls in my lap.

33" dishes are plentiful. LNB's seem inexpensive.

I'm always wary of buying used electronics so in the end I might just get a new receiver from gosatellite.ca or other some reliable online retailer.

In the meantime I search craigslist and kijiji daily!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Old thread getting dusted off, but still just as valid as the day it was posted..

With Hurricane Irene approaching the east coast of the U.S., live feeds are already popping up for a front seat to the action.

I'll be recording what I can throughout the weekend, and hope everyone back there stays safe.

I'm not sure where this feed is set-up, but it's most likely a news van, and it's been sending out for at least the last 4 hours. Not a lot to see yet, but again, it's like being there.

No subscription fees, just the same old hardware I've had for over 10 years. Free is Fun.

The setup I'm using for this is a Pansat 3500SD with a 30" dish, fed into an HVR-1600 pci TV card, and recorded using MythTV in Ubuntu Linux 11.04. (both of which are also free)

Peace

edit on 26-8-2011 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
hi there,

Well done for bumping your old thread.

it is as important now more than ever...Libya, Irene, etc etc .

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by patent98310

We all know how to get free cable.......do we?
i cant get cable no network but i got satalite(sky) can i get that for free?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by marvinthemartian

Have you checked the "Where can I Steal Stuff" thread? You wont find it in this one.

Here's a better shot of the same feed, now that the sun's up. Mundane as it may be, maybe we'll catch some weather, or an indication of a surge here after a bit.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Great thank You OP for bumping your old thread ,as otherwise i would have never read it and this looks like some interesting info that I never knew about
Thank You

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore

Originally posted by marvinthemartian

Have you checked the "Where can I Steal Stuff" thread? You wont find it in this one.

free sky tv=stealing?
All depends on your basis for comparison.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

I did actually Google "Sky" when I saw your post because I'm not familiar with what they offer.
I saw that they have monthly subscription rates, so I'm assuming, much like Dish Network and DirectTV here in the U.S., and BEV in Canada, that they give you a "proprietary" set top box, and it isn't free.

FTA boxes, on the other hand, don't come with such fees, and there are geostationary satellites the world over. lyngsat.com usually keeps fairly up to date on what you'd be able to see over there.

I'm just trying to avoid any discussion here that involves anything other than legal, true FTA for the obvious reasons.

Might be worth a look.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Thank you for your reply
And of course i would'nt dream of doing anything illegal.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
So while ATS is going bonkers about Irene being the doom of the week, apparently a few have a completely different mindset altogether.

Something caught the corner of my eye in one of the feeds that I, at first, thought was a bird. On closer inspection, it turns out to be a guy catching a wave! (lower right of the pic)

A minute later the camera crew picks up on it ...

Yaki Hicky Hula!!! (I have no idea what that means, but I did see it on a pair of shorts once)

but we were not the only ones watching...

The crew decides to interview this couple. He asked if they were worried about the possible 150 MPH winds that were going to be blowing through the area later, and if they'd be heeding the warnings of the mandatory evacuation...they said "Nah".

Lots, and lots, of feeds popping up right now, so it looks like it's going to be a well covered event. I'm bound to get some dramatic footage to put together for the archives.

Once again, stay safe and don't get all brave when it comes to the storm surge. Far too many have made that mistake and paid for it with their lives.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
More fun with FTA.
A little social unrest and an angry song does wonders for boredom... kept me entertained for a couple hours anyway.

A few good feeds coming in from Chicago right now, the eclipse got a little dull.

Nose picker video in the works... Did you know O'reilly uses a girly mirror?

edit on 20-5-2012 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
One thing I'd like to add, for anyone that reads this thread.

Sometimes you're going to see things you wish you hadn't. I've seen more people dead and dying lately, and it's starting to weigh.

About 6 minutes ago, a guy put a gun to his head and took his life. I'm still shaking.

There's an immediate physical heaviness that seems to try to escape straight down like a wave, and leaves a vacuum.

Not sure what else to say, just be prepared.

ETA: I removed the missing video above because the 4th view was DHS, and it spooked me a little. Apparently someone thought it was something it wasn't, and I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

edit on 28-9-2012 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join