It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News broadcasts man committing suicide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Fox News broadcasts man committing suicide

Just so you know, nothing in this post links to or shows the actual event which aired live on Fox "News". The video below only shows Shepard Smith's reaction and apology.

Fox News host Shepard Smith said Friday that he was deeply sorry that his show, “Studio B with Shepard Smith,” accidentally broadcast a live suicide at the end of a high speed car chase in Arizona.

The chase, which came to a grisly end outside of Phoenix, went on for about an hour and the suspect eclipsed speeds of 110 mph. Police said he fired shots at them from the driver’s seat of a stolen Dodge Caliber before ultimately shooting himself.

Fox News was following the chase since it began, which Smith is known for doing — he once even wished for a car chase to keep viewers interested in the network’s analysis of the Supreme Court’s health care decision. But on Friday, Smith found himself apologizing.

Fox more than any other media outlet seems to revel in showing live car chases. Maybe it's pandering to that demographic of their viewers who also watch Nascar in the hopes of seeing a fiery crash?

ETA: I thought this paragraph at the end of the article made a good point:

Numerous media studies show that reporting on suicide and showing the uncensored act can increase suicidal tendencies in vulnerable individuals, and most professional news organizations have policies that prohibit use of overly graphic or gory images or video. Individuals who are contemplating suicide are urged to call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK.

edit on 28-9-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well who doesn't like a little death and destruction? It sure brings in the viewers!

All you see on any news network is "bad" news with a few fluff pieces thrown into the mix.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

When you see how quick and easy that was, I can actually understand how it could influence others to kill themselves. Thankfully it wasn't gruesome looking, dude just fell forward.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I'm just not quite sure what peoe are thinking, watching Fox News live to see a criminal on the run. Fox News knew he had a gun (at the very least they knew when he got out of the car), you can't tell me they didn't expect him to maybe... Idk... Use it? It's all about ratings guys. The public is drawn into this kinda crap and they play off it. The anouncer may be sorry because his mind is washed but fox IS NOT. In all reality they wanted it to happen.

BTW, to anyone who wached Fox News live when it happened... Sorry you had o see hat you did but just thank the stars you haven't harmed yourself yet from just watching Fox

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hmm.
He led police on a chase, fired upon them. I suppose he knew it was the end of the line.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Fox more than any other media outlet seems to revel in showing live car chases. Maybe it's pandering to that demographic of their viewers who also watch Nascar in the hopes of seeing a fiery crash?

First thing I thought of.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yeah, I stumbled upon the actual video, while surfing reddit earlier...Truly sad. Even unexpected. The anchor was yelling "Get off get off get it off" Meaning cut to commercial.

All I can think of to say is...I feel bad for the guy. I wonder what was going on in his life where he felt suicide was hes best option...

I'm glad he didn't hurt anyone else ( As far as I know)...But it's just a shame to see something end like that...I wish he could have gotten help before it was too late.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Why are there doushe bags in the world......and then the rest of us?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie
I'm glad he didn't hurt anyone else ( As far as I know)...But it's just a shame to see something end like that...I wish he could have gotten help before it was too late.

So we can say for about 95% of the prison population.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 28-9-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

So we can say for about 95% of the prison population.

Sure, I can easily say that for anyone in need of help. I hope all people in need of help get that help before it's too late... But this thread is about one man....

And it is just sad that this man in the video...Did not get the help he needed.
edit on 28-9-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Actually, you're more likely to see a live car chase on CBS, but only because they have the birds in the air, the feeds, and they're always ready to go live, in the L.A. area. There's always somebody running from the cops there.

Since I get them without any logos, I wasn't aware it had even been aired live until I saw all the threads pop up and get 404'd with people wanting to be the first to bring you someone's death. I say those people are defective.

Anyone who thinks, (or wants to claim) they intentionally aired it, take a breath, because I'm sure they didn't.

I see too many from start to finish for that to be the case.

Using the accidental airing of a mans suicide to get a politically motivated fox news "dig" in, is very distasteful IMO.

Shame on you.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Using the accidental airing of a mans suicide to get a politically motivated fox news "dig" in, is very distasteful IMO.

Fox loves to air car chases, that has nothing to do with this dude killing himself.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I saw this live on Fox News this afternoon... I have to admit, I started laughing when the dude stumbled and fell as he ran down that dirt road (thinking this is just like a thriller movie where the person being chased always falls)...

Well when he brought the gun to his head, shot and fell, that stopped my laughter cold. That image will haunt me for a long time. That was surreal.

--Av

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I never watch the 6.0 oclock news anymore its full of bad stories and tragedies. The commentor her Shep Smith looks like the typical ill do anything for ratings type.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Fox loves to air car chases, that has nothing to do with this dude killing himself.

They all do, it's a matter of who gets there first, I can assure you.

Remember, they have to communicate for air space.

My statement was aimed at the comment I quoted, but think what you want.

ETA: Sometimes you'll see several stations airing the same feed with their brand on it, but whenever one can get an "exclusive", they hang on to it... tightly.
edit on 28-9-2012 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

And shame on you for buying into Fox "News" brand of quasi-journalism - fake news and car chases. It doesn't surprise me that someone's death/suicide 'accidentally' ended up being broadcast live, it was only a matter of time before that happened. You can whine about CBS all you want, just remember Fox was the first network to ever air the live broadcast of someone committing suicide on air.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie
All I can think of to say is...I feel bad for the guy. I wonder what was going on in his life where he felt suicide was hes best option...

I know the answer to this one.

He was about to go to jail after stealing a car.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Accidentally airing footage of a suicide or death while showing a car chase is like accidentally airing footage of somebody breaking their leg during a football game. Fox cannot call this an accident just as ABC cannot call airing Joe Theisman getting his leg snapped by Lawrence Taylor an accident. Regrettable- yes. An accident-no.

What makes car chases compelling television is that they are unpredictable and can have a multitude of possible outcomes, including death. When networks cover these things, they are implicitly selling the possibility someone might die. Nobody will watch a car chase if they are 100% sure it will end with the suspects safely pulling over and peacefully turning themselves in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join