It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's your favaorite author and what are the coolest/trippiest books you've ever read?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Secret agent - Joseph conrad. What an incredibly hard read. Well worth it in the last thirty pages as you realize omg, wtf, imho.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I find Terry Pratchett to be sadly unimaginative and rather coarse, I have no idea why so many people like him so much when there are things like my favourite book:

The Unlimited Dream Company by JG Ballard

Heres the wiki

en.wikipedia.org...

I Cannot stress this enough, READ THIS BOOK!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I've been a fan of Dean Koonts ever since I picked up a copy of "Midnight" at a yard sale. I know some like him and others don't. I've heard both pro and con. But he writes the kind of story I like to read and explore.

edit on 27-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Excellent writer if you haven't read it yet check out Whispers he wrote back in 80 that book is a trip.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ezekielken
The Alchemist- paul coelho

Aw, i forgot about that - great book!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I like all different kinds of writers Stephen King, Dean Kootnz, Isaac Asimov, H.P. Lovecraft, Aleister Crowley, and Louis L'Amour.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by JValhalla
Kurt Vonnegut

Breakfast of Champions one of my favs

Galapagos and Slaughter House 5 as well!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
My kind of thread....I love trippy/cool books

Bret Easton Ellis and Chuck Palahniuk are among my favorites when I need my twisted fix.

American Psycho was one of the best books I ever read and though the Fight Club movie is a classic, the book is wonderful too.

I love reading. Books helped me through a time when I had no one to talk to and needed an escape.

Awesome to see King and Koontz fans. "It" was a great book (actually scared me) as well as the Dark Tower series. With Koontz I have to say my favorite books were the ones involving Christopher Snow and "From the Corner of His Eye". I love it when he gets all parallel universes on us. The Odd Thomas books are also great.

I highly recommend Simon R. Green for the Urban Fantasy lovers out there. The Nightside books are ones I would take with me on a deserted island.
edit on 28-9-2012 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

As a child, I loved "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle. I found a beat-up copy of it a few years back at a yard sale, and of course, had to have it.
reply to post by Habit4ming

"A Swiftly Tilting Planet" was another great book of hers. The Chronicle of Narnia series and anything by C.S. Lewis is good too.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Apologies as I've only skimmed through the thread but has anyone mentioned Clive Barker's Weaveworld and Imajica yet.
In fact most of his earlier stuff's quite good but Weaveworld is definitely a favourite of mine.
There's a man with a depraved imagination

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Michel Ende - Der Spiegel im Spiegel (1984)
(Translated into English by J. Maxwell Brownjohn asMirror in the Mirror (1986)

read since i am 4. could never read a book twice ´cause i always knew what happens next page!

This book i actually read five times this year! Every sentence is an literal orgasm!!!

Peace, love and light
let u guide by higher i

Jim
edit on 28-9-2012 by JimIrie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
for non fiction
'the fluoride deception' - bryson
'barry and the boys' - hpsicker
'the creature of jekyll island' -griffin
'the commission - the uncensored history of the 9/11 investigation' Shenon
'debunking 911 debunking' David Griffin
'fortunate son' hatfield
'end the fed' paul

for fiction:
'the shining' or 'the stand' king
'watchers' koontz
'along came a spider' patterson
'mission of honor' clancy
'whiteout' follet

and the freakiest trippiest by far:
'ABOVE TOP SECRET' Marrs

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I love Dean Koontz, read all his books. I have many favorites, but if I had to choose one it would be 'Cold Fire', or wait, 'From the Corner of His Eye', no wait ' Relentless', ah!!! I love 'em all, I just can't choose....

Ps: I also love how he always manages to have a golden retriever in almost every novel he writes. If you ever read about his life, you would know why.

edit on 28-9-2012 by Rainbowresidue because: added a word

edit on 28-9-2012 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2012 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
For straight up trippiness I would have to recommend "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.

It is downright haunting.
edit on 28-9-2012 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

Imajica was great as was Cabal. Barker's "Books of Blood" had some great shorts...my favorite being "Dread"

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I really enjoy SK, especially TDT series. As odd as it is, Wizard and Glass was my favorite novel of the series. For not really having a reputation of being a romantic writer he pulled it off rather well. As he got further into the series it seemed to go all over the place storyline wise. The Gunslinger was an amazing book. If he could have maintained the solidity of that story line the series would have easily surpassed LOR. I believe the main reason they can't seem to get TDT approved for a motion picture is because of the shaky storyline. I also really enjoyed Dean Koontz Intensity. Fast paced from the first pages to the end. I think it took me a little over a day to finish that novel. If I remember correctly there was a movie called HIGH TENSION which emulated Koontzs' opening scene almost word for word. I don't know if it finished that way because I turned the movie off after 15 mins because of the fact. One novel I haven't seen mentioned is a book by Robert McCammon called Swan Song It's a fairly long novel with a pretty solid storyline with good flow. Anybody who enjoys Stephen King and Dean Koontz would probably enjoy this novel. Definitely in my top ten.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Awesome.

This book is an amazing ♡☼

Worldbridger & the Template

Genetically modified Humans? Worldbridger tells the story of 18 years of initiations and revelations that Juliet and Jiva Carter experienced during their collaboration with the "Bird Tribe", the Planetary Evolutionary Guides, to “download” the Template of transcendence.

Amusingly, it apparently contains subjects similar to the two books posted in your OP finish.

Rather than '___', they are initiated to higher dimensions through the reconnection of genetic circuitry activated by the Sun through a divine imprint that is the heritage of all Humanity.
Further, they explain the situation on Earth is the result of a predatory alien species (anunaki) which downgraded our genetic structures in the 'garden of eden' to create a slave race; and solidified this manipulation above with the relocation of a foreign body into our celestial sphere (moon).

Very fantastic tale - good read as fiction - and better as a vision for a new realtiy ∞

LOVE

mayallsoulsbefree ∞

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Ive been reading King and Koonst since I was a 9 or 10 (was grounded alot). Then Lovecraft and Crowley and such through my teens. Early adulthood was mostly Thomas Harris and a bunch of stuff I cant remember. Right now, I'm into Greg Iles: The Quiet Game, The Footprints of God, and Im about to finish Spandau Phoenix. Holy cow! SP is amazing especially since it is his first novel.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
"The wind up bird chronicles" and "Kafka on the shore" by Haruki Murakami also his collection of short stories "The elephant vanishes".Clive Barker's "The great and secret show", "Weaveworld" and "Books of Blood"."House of leaves" by Mark Danielewski now that is one bizarre book.And the book that has left enormous impression on me "The master and margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov.I love books,I intend to read as much as I can in my lifetime and probably try to write a few.
edit on 28-9-2012 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Tragedy & Hope: A History of the World in Our Time
Carroll Quigley
edit on 28-9-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Fav Author: Perry Stone Jr.
Weirdest Book: "Anarchist Cookbook"

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join