It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 teen suicides in 2 weeks in NE Pennsylvania

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Talk is it might even be up to 5.

Teenagers taking their lives, police are investigating.

Friends and family believe it is due to bullying but the police are not sure yet.

These suicides happened within 20 miles of each other.

Two in Pittston Area school district...last Friday and this Monday.

Two last week in Nanticoke and Hazelton, Pa.

pahomepage.com...

Do we have copycat suicides, an epidemic?

Are we not raising our children with compassion or are we not toughening up kids for the real facts of life?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Other than school, what issues put pressure on a teen to want to commit suicide?????

The article denied bullying but that's usually the number one cause for this sort of action among teens.

One is bad enough, but 4 young kids to kill themselves in such a short period of time, that's eerily strange.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Especially in such a small area and except for Hazelton, small towns , small schools...not like NYC or Miami.

I grew up in Pittston, it's one of those areas where almost everyone knows or has heard of everyone else...you recognize the names etc.

For 2 seemingly unrelated kids, one a cheerleader and one a quiet kid that kept to himself, to kill themselves in a span of 3days? In the same relatively small to medium school district.....same high school?

Very frightening.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Hopefully, there won't be any more.

If I was a parent around there, I'd be on full alert to any changes in my kid.

Unfortunately, it makes me wonder if the parents really know what goes on behind the scenes with their children's interactions with friends, school, other activities, etc........

Or do they just give them an IPhone to keep them pacified.

Hell, I'd be checking their text messages to and from their friends for any signs of trouble.
Not to mention look on their FB page, most have one now a days.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Talk is it might even be up to 5.

Teenagers taking their lives, police are investigating.

Friends and family believe it is due to bullying but the police are not sure yet.

These suicides happened within 20 miles of each other.

Two in Pittston Area school district...last Friday and this Monday.

Two last week in Nanticoke and Hazelton, Pa.

pahomepage.com...

Do we have copycat suicides, an epidemic?

Are we not raising our children with compassion or are we not toughening up kids for the real facts of life?

No, we are teaching them that they, and their suffering, will be memorialized and remembered forever if they commit suicide after being bullied. Sounds crazy, but most kids are. We really need to be careful about what we turn our attention toward.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I think this is another example of the rising trend of suicides in this country. Have you seen this:

Suicide now kills more Americans than car crashes

Suicide has surpassed car accidents as the No. 1 cause of injury-related death in the United States, according to new research.

From 2000 to 2009, the death rate for suicide ticked up 15 percent while it decreased 25 percent for car wrecks, the study found.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Idiots kill themselves. There, I said it.

No matter how bad you have it, it can be far more worse. Once there is a war in your country, you can kill yourself if you want to. At least that puts some stress on the human brain, death is better.

I won’t say I am happy, because they selfishly left a sad family behind them but I am not sad for them in the slightest.

Although it is a bit weird. Do they all go to the same school? If so, do they know each other? If so, are they in a special club?

Bullying needs all the above reasons to be counted as a reasonable cause of this.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by goh13

Two of them went to the same school, but I do not think they were in the same circle of friends.

I do believe we are not raising our kids to be emotionally strong enough...everyone is a prince or princess and parents try to protect them from everything....bad idea.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I am guessing those two can be linked with each other. Most close friends share their problems so, could they agreed to kill themselves? Did one kill himself and the other got sad and did the same? If they were bullied, I give it a 89% chance that the bully of both them is the same.

I agree with you, my mother never raised me and always had treated me like a king. I can’t do anything correctly thanks to her. Although I love her a lot

Well, at least I am trying to solve my own problem by fighting them. Or at the very least, not giving up and I am also 16. I really do not see how one can be so weak.
edit on 3-10-2012 by goh13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Ah, sorry. So they were not friends? This changes a lot. Maybe the act the same way [Nerd-ish, shy, gay, etc....], therefore getting bullied by the same guys?

I wish I had more info, I like doing this :p

top topics

join