It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Star or planet is this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
First off I apologize for not having pics. I am sure it is just a planet or station. I am at 36 north 117 west looking south east at 4 am. I live in California and saw it this morning. If anyone has a clue can you give me a shout out. Usually I would not bother but this sucker was brighter then the North star last night. I don't think it was a satelite because it was not blinking. Well anyways I tried using Google Sky but I do not know how to imput the directions.. Any assistance would be great...
Therian

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Therian

Its probably Venus.
Thats my best guess.

edit on 24-9-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Therian

Venus for sure. Just checked it on Stellarium. Would have been close to the Eastern horizon at that time and is the brightest object in the night sky after the moon.
edit on 24/9/2012 by Fazza! because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Okay thanks. Was thinking it was a planet. Was reading transit planes of the planets and only thing I found for Venus was back in June when it crossed the sun .. Well thanks again..
Therian

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
yeah, Venus, i get to see that bright planet every morning when i leave the house at 5am to head to work. It will be there for a few more months before going behind the sun. look up from venus and you should see jupiter at this time too

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Therian
...Usually I would not bother but this sucker was brighter then the North star last night...

As others said, the object you are describing sounds like Venus. Venus is right now the "Morning Star", bein visible right before sunrise, although a few months ago it was the "Evening Star", being seen right before and after sunset -- as it will be again in a few months.

However, to clarify a common misconception, the North Star (Polaris) is NOT that bright at all. In fact, Polaris is only about the 50th brightest star in the Northern Hemisphere. If you don't know where to look for it, Polaris could easily be overlooked compared to the other stars around it of similar brightness.

edit on 9/24/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

So you're located near death valley?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

edit on 24-9-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GIBBORIM

Yup that would be Panamint Mountains,
within Death Valley National Park.

top topics

join