It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist google - obama search gone wrong!!!...WTF

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
ok this might be coincidence...but
firstly, if i type in a term like...."car" in Google image search.....then im sure over a million images are labeled "car"...so who chooses what comes up first in Google????

we remember that a while back, when you type in the word "monkey", the first images that came up were of michelle obama.....people complained and google fixed it.

now my story - i was having a laugh with a friend about the old gollywog, and how weird it was that here in the UK, we used to have them on jam jars.
my friend didnt know what a gollywog was....so i googled it to show him.

i typed "gollywog jam" into google......hit the search button on images..and on the first page is a picture of obama

i tried "gollywogs" and he was on the second page

coincidence or psy-ops.....i cant be the first that noticed it

does it come up for you???

peace

here it is..i cant resize soz

edit on 24-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
psy ops, really?

people say things, they link these things to photos, these photos are trawled by google bots, these photos and their associated descriptions are added to search engine results

not everything is a conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Do you remember the gollywog badges?spacemen,brownies,footballers,cricketers etc.
I think it was five tokens off of the jars per badge.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I haven't tried it personally but I see your point. It does indeed seem wrong that obama would appear on the second page of results. Having won the race for the presidency it would seem he deserves to be on the first page.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Oh come on. You could at least have clicked the image before creating a thread?

This is where the photo is from:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Also, you should be aware that Google doesn't create the content.
edit on 24-9-2012 by Consequence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Consequence

yes i now.....but as i stated....if a million images are labeled "car" who chooses what comes up first...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Just one of those mysteries that will never get solved

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think you, sir, are the racist.
Lol.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

right ....

if your using google dawg
Your in a Filter Bubble

edit on 9/24/2012 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

yes i now.....but as i stated....if a million images are labeled "car" who chooses what comes up first...

Normally, the combination of the algorithms of Google and the people who use Google.
Google uses statistics to weigh what is relevant for that search word, what is "hot" regarding that search word, what is "new", and even what was actually intended with that search.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I came up with a bunch of dolls and white people . Yes black dolls are racist all dolls need to be white

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
WTF is a "Gollywog" anyway?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I work on-line, and I use Search Engine Optimization techniques to improve the relevance of pages and their position in Google as a result of that.

There are ways to manipulate search results, but this is now a lot harder than you might think.

However, on a term such as the one you use, the search results are going to be limited, far much more than would be for many other products, subjects, discussions etc...

As you said, "car" would result in billions of possible results. "Green car" would be less. "Purple and green car" would be even less...

So, I could label an image and add supporting text as "purple peanut butter", and I can guarantee that I will get 1st place in Google on either text or image search because it's a term that has ZERO competition.

This is not a conspiracy. It's someone creating racist content, and because you've searched on something with very little competition that is the result.

All this shows is that someone has called him that in a blog post, site or forum somewhere, and it's considered by Google's automated systems as being one of the most relevant results.

This isn't Google making any statements, this is Google showing you the statements and ideas others have produced.

Google is nothing more than a librarian taking you to the most relevant shelf.
edit on 24-9-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
if you read the article that the obama photo comes from , you'll see that someone mentioned golliwog jams in an attempt to make a joke regarding Obama's election win.

thus it shows up on google.

no conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
WTF is a "Gollywog" anyway?

Linky

Ultimately it is another instance of people being offended by something, but it being a little misunderstood in motive.

As far as I'm concerned, it was never viewed as a racist idea when I was growing up. I don't know when it became such.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
no conspirecy...but, sure as hell racist.
en.wikipedia.org...
of course, as the british ass said, paraphrasing, it was all in fun, no harm, no foul....amazing how red those big fat lips are...yeah...no historical context there...right?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

i used to have a gollywog stuffed toy when i was a child it was bigger than me,, i loved my gollywog haha i really missed him when he disappeared don't know were he went ,probably went to work for Robertsons jam

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Obviously consequence and springer are correct as to WHY obama would be correlated with this word. Which, BTW, has to be just about the most british term ever. It even sounds british. lol I've spent a bit of time on forums with lots of UK members. Heck, I dated a kiwi for a couple years. Sure, not quite the same, but they use a bit more british slang than american. And I'm not sure I've ever heard this term before.....

Originally posted by thePharaoh

It has to do with the number of websites linking to this particular page or article. It was probably a controversial issue or joke for at least a minute, and lots of people talked about it online? It may also have to do with quality of links... which sites link to it, how those links appear. Google is not transparent about their formula, but if you spend a little time reading about "search engine optimization" you'll get the general idea.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Haha! Look at Obama's face in the picture! Even his picture is going "Da F***?!".

Honestly though, I don't think this is anything to be concerned about. Google has some strange algorithms at times. Before, when you searched for the term "Jew" you'd get a bunch of holicaust denial sites and Jew jokes...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
ok ...for the bubble thing,,,,obamas picture comes up on any computer at any location.

and to william.....you havent heard this before?....im sure youv heard the term "wog" ... my mate hadnt heard of it either....sorry to disrupt your innocence lol

peace

top topics

<<   2 >>

join