It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney releases taxes - Paid 2 million in taxes, 4 million in charity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney chose to pay more in taxes than he needed to, forgoing about $250,000 in deductions to keep his tax rate above 13 percent.
Enlarge image
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney paid a 14.1 percent federal tax rate on $13.7 million of income in 2011, his campaign said today.

Romney claimed tax deductions for $2.25 million of the $4 million he made in charitable contributions in 2011, his campaign said yesterday before releasing his tax returns. The decision to pay more in taxes than necessary was political. Romney had told reporters that he hadn’t paid an effective rate of less than 13 percent over the past decade, in an effort to deflect Democratic attacks.

The man paid 4 million to charity in one year! I'd say that's pretty commendable. He also paid another 2 million in taxes. Which is apparently more than he should have paid.

Now the question is how the media and Democrats are going to spin this negatively.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the left hates when people show them facts there little world only contains dogma!

Romney paid more in taxes and gave more away to charity than the people who are crying bout it.

In their view everything Romney makes should be given to government so they can give that cash to places like Libya and Egypt etc.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Good for him

Now where are the ones from 10 years ago? Those are the ones everyone wants to see

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Of course neo he paid more in taxes than almost 99% of the country.

Not everyone makes 14 million

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Yeah, you know what happened the year after I was audited by the IRS? I made damn sure all my taxes where in order.

Point being people are asking for the Taxes from when he wasn't running for Pres, when he would know the scrutiny would be there.

Frankly I think if you run for pres, this includes OBAMA btw, your public records and life should be open to the Highest level of accountability.

It seems ive had jobs that required more vetting than the POTUS.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Sorry what was that?

Romney paid taxes which makes Reid a liar and everyone else who says he doesn't pay taxes.
edit on 22-9-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Sigh...

Everyone is asking him to release his tax records from the time when he wasn't running for POTUS, and wasn't facing scrutiny.

Let's see the ones from 10 years ago.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I'm not sure what everyone was expecting to see. Did people think he was living like a crazy man on drugs while the Governor of Mass or running in 2008? I mean, these things didn't seem to be major enough to stop the show or even stick in my mind as a major issue that got mentioned before.

Now we have Obama with an Achilles heel to beat them all in the form of papers everywhere people want to see....but likely won't ever be allowed to see. Neither are legally obligated to show any of what it being complained about anyway......but Obama's on the pointy end.

So...What apparently didn't matter a bit in 2008 or throughout his recent political life as a Republican in Ted Kennedy's state (not an easy place to be what he is) is now all important. Nice relativism there to bury one subject with the non-issue of another. Romney ought to release all the way back through his Political life...as most eventually do anyway for their Presidential Libraries. That would put Obama in a NO-WIN for even joking about not showing so much he's been playing games on for 5 years now, IMO.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Why the hell should he?

Like his detractors are going to vote for him based off his income and if he pays taxes,

How about taking a good look at the current administration and its cornucopia of tax dodgers

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
He should have waited till the first debate, only to present them in person to Obama and the American public while asking:
"Here are my tax documents, where are your college transcripts?"

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
$4 million for the mormon church...tax deductible. Outstanding.

Where are the rest of the returns? We've got like two years of returns out of him so far. How about when he wasn't paying any taxes at Bain Capital? Where are those returns?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney chose to pay more in taxes than he needed to, forgoing about $250,000 in deductions to keep his tax rate above 13 percent.

It must be nice to have the ability to pay more in taxes just for political expediency.

If this is the norm for very wealthy people, not paying the same rate in taxes as the rest of the nation, why aren't there oodles of jobs all over the place?

I thought that if we gave the "job-creators" more money, which they are getting, that the jobs would follow.

They got the money, so where are the jobs?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
you left out;

put assests in wife's name (the one that doesn't work for it)
hides money in off shore banks

we're not stupiud

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Since when has Romney detractors ever had a problem with people not working for their money?

What the hell are all those social programs eh?

They "work" for that money?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Ha! Voluntarily pays more in taxes and still has a lower rate than I do. That's fantastic.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by muse7

Why the hell should he?

Like his detractors are going to vote for him based off his income and if he pays taxes,

How about taking a good look at the current administration and its cornucopia of tax dodgers

Why should he? be cause hes interviewing for the most powerful job on the planet.

Both him and Obama should be open to the highest scrutiny.

The two clowns running should hand over ANY info we the people ask of them, they want that job so badly they should be rushing to release the info to us.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
What Charity?
what evidence has been given he paid this Tax?

you people always fall for it !

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Christ people so many of you were whining about his taxes and he showed them! More promptly might I add than those pesky school transcripts of Obama's.NY Post

You will hear it said, by people who are either ignorant or have an axe to grind, that the charitable deduction is a tax shelter. It is anything but. Shelters are investments that work to protect money from being taxed by the government. In effect, every dollar in them is put there either so that it can earn money or so that it can be used to lower a person’s tax burden. Now consider the dollar given to charity. If you’re Mitt Romney, your dollar would be taxed at a rate of 35 percent by the federal government — the highest rate. When you give that dollar to charity, you are, in effect, excused from paying 35 cents of it to the government. But here’s the key: You don’t get the other 65 cents back.
It seems that Romney's charitable donations are a bit more then what Obama has given
So much easier to talk about how money should be distributed when it is not your own. SO Mitt raised the kitty will Obama raise it or call?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Since when has Romney detractors ever had a problem with people not working for their money?

What the hell are all those social programs eh?

They "work" for that money?

way to intentionally miss the point. it's not counted for him because it's in her name, but she didn't have anything to do with earning it. it's called evasion. legal yes, but lets not get carried away that mittens is some philanthropist giving away 95% of his wealth

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Did no one read the fine print?

He Paid 2 of those million to his own family trust.

For those that do not know...

for Millionaires, charities are tax write offs to offset gains.

AAC

top topics

<<   2 >>

join