It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the US Senate just given the "green light" for military intervention in Iran ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Even though labeled as being "non-binding", US Senators overwhelmingly just gave the "thumbs up" for potential military action against Iran and it's alleged nuclear weapons program.
I guess that they've effectively given up on their strategies of using political and economic sanctions as a lost cause and are now considering ramping up towards military options.
Sure, they can phrase it in vapid terms such as "... for the United States to pursue a policy other than containment" but I'm sure we're all intelligent enough to be able to read between the lines !

In a bipartisan show of steadfastness on Iran, Senators passed a non-binding resolution - nearly unanimously - for the United States to pursue a policy other than containment, if necessary to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.

Senate Joint Resolution 41 advises that time is running out on diplomacy, and it "rejects any United States policy that would rely on efforts to contain a nuclear weapons-capable Iran."

Source

I guess time is starting to run out for Iran.

What's the bet that this has just made Netanyahu's weekend !
edit on 22/9/12 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Well, that's potentially big news.
I say potentially because... I'm not actually convinced that Obama WANTS to go to war with Iran.

I'll be interested to see where this leads.
Thanks for the heads up - S&F

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
A law should be passed putting these people on the front line if war breaks out. Iran hasn't attacked America so we have no right attacking them.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
If the U.S. participates in a preemptive strike against Iran, they are guilty of an act of war, not Iran. How did the common defense of the U.S. become so distorted? My view on world politics is becoming one of U.S. isolationism. Unless the U.S. is a victim of another country's aggression, there is no reason to get involved. Let the corporate interests fund other countries or their own mercenaries instead of U.S. PACs.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck
If the U.S. participates in a preemptive strike against Iran, they are guilty of an act of war, not Iran. How did the common defense of the U.S. become so distorted? My view on world politics is becoming one of U.S. isolationism. Unless the U.S. is a victim of another country's aggression, there is no reason to get involved. Let the corporate interests fund other countries or their own mercenaries instead of U.S. PACs.

Like Jefferson said "commerce with all nations and alliance with none should be our motto". Our common defense became distorted when Israel started running our middle east policies. Our people are killing and dying in the middle east for the corporations not for the defense of America. Do some checking when we overthrow a government that's when the oil companies get what they want this video pretty much says it all.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Lets be honest though, Iran obtaining nuclear weapons is good for nobody and could potentially de-stabalize the region even more than it already is. I think I could stomach a war with Iran as long as it was a swift nuteralization of their nuclear facilities and military hardware and a rapid withdrawal.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Looks like you might get your wish, latest headlines in Press TV, Iran annouces today war with Israel will happen, www.presstv.ir...

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
Lets be honest though, Iran obtaining nuclear weapons is good for nobody and could potentially de-stabalize the region even more than it already is. I think I could stomach a war with Iran as long as it was a swift nuteralization of their nuclear facilities and military hardware and a rapid withdrawal.

What would happen to all the radioactive material being blown up in the centrifuges and elsewhere?
edit on 22-9-2012 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merinda

Originally posted by michael1983l

What would happen to all the radioactive material being blown up in the centrifuges and elsewhere?
edit on 22-9-2012 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

they don't care. they never cared about safety or life, it's just a charade for making more money and has nothing to do with safety. israel wants more land and sees themselves as ruling the mideast, that's what it's about.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
From the www.CNN.com link

The bill text ended with the statement: "Nothing in this resolution shall be construed as an authorization for the use of force or a declaration of war."

So, to answer your question, no, the senate has not given the green light for military intervention. They are, however, making it easier to go that route, if necessary.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
From my perspective, it looks like the time for talk is over.

Good luck to all of you and good luck to the people of Iran.

I'm sorry that our leaders weren't adult enough to work in our best interests.

God be with us all.

top topics

join