It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye Old Friend - The Space Shuttle Over The Bay Area

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Made my way out to Moffett Field this morning to see the 747 SCA and the Space Shuttle fly one last time. It was spectacular sight!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It went RIGHT over my house in Berkeley. Like literally right over it. It was flying so low, I thought it was about to crash or something. My house is on a hill facing the golden gate bridge, so then I got to watch it flying around the bridge a few times. Pretty cool

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'm hoping that I'll have a load that gets me out that way when they move her our of LAX. I'd love to be there to see her going down the road. It's sad that they're all gone, and this was the last time one of them would ever fly.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

You lucky dog you
I shouldn't be so jealous though..I live in south Florida and got so see that bad boy streaking through the sky every time it launched...Went to the Cape for the last launch..absolutely breathtaking..You could feel the vibrations in your body as it launched..I just wonder what their new kick ass ride looks like..I don't believe for one dang second that the U.S. government, the military in particular, are gonna go any length of time without the ability to put people in space..That's just not how we roll in the U.S.
edit on 21-9-2012 by TheLonewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I saw the shuttle on the 747 airborne in 1983 when I was in basic training. Witnessed the Columbia explosion on TV in the 80's while living in New Hampshire on active duty. Was living in Florida for Discovery's last launch, and got to watch it streak in the sky, unfortunately was also watching on tv while it broke apart over the Texas sky. For those of us in our 40's and 50's, the space shuttle has been a big part of our lives. My thoughts go out to the families that have lost loved ones.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I saw the brand new Endeavor fly (piggybacked) right overhead as it was taking off from the Melbourne, Fl. airport (there was / is a Boeing facility there), the day they delivered it to NASA..... Awesome sight!

I saw the smoke plumes from the Challenger disaster all the way down in West Palm Beach.

My most cherished memory of the shuttle program was a Columbia night launch on NASA property, something nobody else will ever be able to experience again....

R.I.P. shuttle program, And thanks to all the astronauts who gave their lives in the pursuit of knowledge ....

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Some great pictures on the From The Tower blog. Look at how low that thing was flying when they did a low flyby. I'm really impressed at how many people showed up to see her land.

fromthecontroltower.blogspot.com...

new topics

top topics

join