It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Perry on Church and State - wtf is he on about this time??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

In a conference call with fellow evangelicals earlier this week, Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) shared his thoughts on the origins of the constitutionally mandated separation of church and state. Rather than tracing the idea to the nation’s founders, Perry warned of a more nefarious source: Satan.

“Satan runs across the world with his doubt and with his untruths and what have you and one of the untruths out there that is driven is that people of faith should not be involved in the public arena,” Perry said during the call on Tuesday, organized by the Rev. Rick Scarborough.

from here

Huh?? Who ever said that people of faith should not be allowed to be involved in the public arena??

The separation of church and state is one thing - but it seems to me that he has just invented another excuse to try to claim that x-ians are being suppressed or some such nonsense.

To me it looks like yet another example of how the Republican right has totally lot its marbles.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Looks to me like Rick Perry is trying to salvage his political career, which was somewhat destroyed in the GOP primary, by appealing hard to the base.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
God damn it Perry did God or Satan make you stupid and uninformed as well?

The establishment clause was created to prevent the establishment of a state religion. It was created to PROTECT religion. That separation is GOOD for faith.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Just a side note to set this thread on fire..........
The term "separation of church and state" can not be found in the constitution. This term comes from A letter written by Thomas Jefferson to a Baptist church.
If you look at other writtings by Jefferson and other founding fathers you will find that they always mingled church and state. They even held church in the capital building.
I think what Perry may be referring to is the constant conflict that is taking place between the ACLU and the Christian religion.
edit on 21-9-2012 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

How cute, maybe we will get that little baby theocracy soon. I'm looking forward to underground bars and bathtub gin!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Depends who has been in the bathtub!!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Perry is up for reelection in 2014.

The cities in Texas are growing faster than any in the country, higher urban populations.

Anyone think a Democrat could win that seat? Might sound ridiculous, but there was a Dem governing Texas as recent as '95 before GW Bush. And Perry only got 54%, wasn't a huge landslide, in 2010. If Obama is reelected and has a few successful years, I think it's possible.

Maybe Castro, governor of San Antonio and key figure at the Democratic convention, could make a run at the office. If this happens, it would represent a pretty major shift in American politics.

top topics

join