It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Avatar By Any Other Name....The Psychology of Avatars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Phage changed his avatar because someone called him on it when he claimed they were using copyrighted material. Their point was he too, with his avatar, was using copyrighted material.
He changed it after that.

Unless I am mistaken. But that is what I read in the thread that it happened in.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Ar, an avatar with a story behind it

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by benrl

Your avatars another great one.

Between your posts and pik, I feel your a real honest patriot, and your calm, collected and reasonable

Its also a warm colour reminds me of Autumn, my favorite season.
edit on 21-9-2012 by Sinny because: missed a comma

thanks,

I like your current avatar, it reminds me of a tattoo my best friend has, his is more ska looking in attire though.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I like aliens
so my avatars tend to have an alien in them
Thor is my favorite alien character in the Sci Fi world. My previous avy was Paul.

I don't really look at avatar's all that much. I do recognize certain posters avatars. I have had a few creep me out and I've had a few make me smile. I love the little pig with red rain boots. That is a cute avatar. I do wish Phage would go back to John Lithgow lol. That avy always made me laugh for some reason but I am a big John Lithgow fan so I am bias.

I don't let avatars influence my opinion of a poster. People pick avatars for so many reasons. I had a couple avatars that people didn't like and they let me know it! I just laughed at it because it just shows how people make opinions without knowing the truth, judging by the cover is a bad idea.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
How can you not like an avatar that gives you the equations to use your cat and a piece of buttered toast to create a wormhole? In theory you get a wormhole, but in practice what you get is a piece of toast covered in fur and a angry cat...I like physics and experimentation and I'm a goofball so I chose this one
edit on 21-9-2012 by TheLonewolf because: sp

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

Between your posts and pik, I feel your a real honest patriot and your calm, collected and reasonable

Its also a warm colour that reminds me of Autumn, my favorite season.

It tells me he's a gamer, he's waiting for Bioshock Infinite more than any game.
Thats were that pic is from.

My avi, represents my love for horror films as well as twisted humour, so does the Chukky inspired name.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I love me some Thor and stargate..Ya know, before i started watching stargate back in the day i used to get totally freaked out when i saw a picture of a grey. After watching stargate for 10 seasons I've come to love their little grey butts..Weird

Thanks to Bonez for the correct terminology

edit on 21-9-2012 by TheLonewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLonewolf
After watching stargate for 10 seasons I've come to love the little buggers.

You mean you love their "little grey butts", as O'Neill would say.

edit on 21-9-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Ha, that's too funny..I miss Col. O'Neills' smart ass remarks.."That's O'Neill with TWO L's" he would say while holding up three fingers..classic
edit on 21-9-2012 by TheLonewolf because: sp

edit on 21-9-2012 by TheLonewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

As far as the Asgard are concerned, I'll take another O'Neill quote and say: "gotta love those guys!"

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I change mine pretty regularly and its about time for a change. I get sick of looking at a pic over and over.

Mine is an actress from the 20-30's and her name is Louise Brooks. I use her because when younger I modeled and some guy who later became a close friend said I looked like her and I did a shoot that sort of adopted her look plus a little darkness and steampunkishness thrown in.
I dont post my pics on here anymore.

My name? Its a flea powder. I originally signed up in 2007 and them moved cross country and didnt have my original ISP and no way to retrieve my password.. I was reading a thread I HAAAD to reply to and made this account. I couldnt think of a name, had just gotten a new puppy and had this flea powder in my office.

Voila. Its all so deeply psychological.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Hi!

1. Well first off I specifically chose my avatar (an eye) as I was a lurker for a very long time and thought it was the perfect fit for what I was doing... Watching this site

2. Absolutely!... Being new to the site since August of this year (even though it says I joined in 2007) the only way for me to recognize members right now are through their avatar. I am sure with time as I get to know everyone through conversation or debate, the names will stick in my head alot easier.

Thank you for this thread. What a great idea!

Cheers

Ang

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles

reply to post by benrl

Between your posts and pik, I feel your a real honest patriot and your calm, collected and reasonable

Its also a warm colour that reminds me of Autumn, my favorite season.

It tells me he's a gamer, he's waiting for Bioshock Infinite more than any game.
Thats were that pic is from.

My avi, represents my love for horror films as well as twisted humour, so does the Chukky inspired name.

Actually its not, its from an artist called Sharp Writer on Diviant art, no relation to bio shock what so ever.

I am how ever a gamer.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Mine is an altered pic I did of my pit bull baby. Fits me well because I love and own many animals.This picture Makes me think of the beauty and purity of an animals soul.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I recently changed avatars because I saw this one and it was soooo cute!

I like all kinds of different avatars: cute, funny, artsy, fractal, scarey, pretty, political, religious, all kinds. It doesn't affect my opinion of any poster. Everyone has their own reasons for their choices in avatars.

I think yours looks happy!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I can spend an entire day analyzing my avatar.
It says a million things about me and how I feel and how I think.
For the record, I presently hate it, but I'm too lazy to change it to something else - speaks volumes!!!!

Therefore by default, I assume everyone elses says a million things about them. Usually I don't start analyzing avatars until I've run into someone and liked their posts several times - because I'm pretty sure the true meaning would be lost to me - as mine would be to you.

I do really liked the concept of this thread, but I barely glanced at your avatar. I liked the idea of analyzing my own rather than everyone elses.

After reading all the posts in this thread, only 2 avatars stuck out to me. One was the twin towers - because its recognizable - I have no idea now who's avatar it was or what they said though, but I've seen it before and remember the avatar everytime I see it.

The other one gave me way more to think about in combination with their post. The one with the fire - Watchitburn? I think that was the name. His (or her?) post explained the reason for the avatar and linked it with the name so obviously I looked at both to see if they matched. What struck me most about this post/avatar/name combination however, is the fact that the author seemed to be implying they have more than one name (not necessarily here, but in general).

So while I may always notice the Twin Towers, I'm likely to just breeze past them in general and not give it much thought (the post I might, but not the avatar) - whereas whenever I see Watchitburn and their fire, now that it has been brought to my attention, I might think they went for the gimmick and is not very attached to their name or present persona - which is not directed at the avatar at all, but specifically the combination of name/avatar/post.

Not to say these aren't likable people either - I don't mean to come across as hostile in any way. In fact my brief analyzations say way more about me than the person who actually chose that avatar.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I chose my avatar to remind me that there are people much worse off in the world. I want to appreciate every moment I have and the things I enjoy. Life could be so much worse. I do pay attention to others avatars. I like changing avatars every once in a while so I'm ready to change pretty soon.
edit on 21-9-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Ant-Man!

super scientist, Pacifist..he thinks everybody has some good and is willing to deal with their BS no matter to try and help them bring it out, as well as an unwavering defender of his morals and lover of Ants...as well as still a reclusive weirdo.

Yours is definitely strong though, my wife has a deep love for the symbol as well and it does indicate to me a women who isn't afraid of some dirty work, and is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done and fight for what she believes in.

My great grandmother worked in factories during WW2, to the day she died she could have filled in for that poster!

great thread!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Finally decided to add an avatar. Mine relates directly to my screen name and it's meant to wake the sleeping warrior within us all. A call to mental arms as it were. Not sure how well I captured it, but I guess the crew will let me know!

Cheers!,

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Hi smyleegr,

First up, don't ever change your avatar!! I like it...

1.) While signing up to ATS I was listening to my favorite album by Queensryche, Operation Mindcrime. It seemed to fit quite well with the material I read on ATS so I choose that username. My avatar is the album cover.

2.) Of course it does, anybody claiming it doesn't influence them is clearly not aware of their unconscious behaviour.

Peace

PS: I really wish Astyanax would turn back to using that lovely velociraptor and to me Phage will forever be associated with John Lithgow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join