It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012; Don't say "Nothing will happen"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by seabag

So you've been told the date for the rapture?

We was told the date once before and look at how that turned out.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Things are already happening only most people don't recognize it. People experiencing time-slips, people having more coincidences than ever before and it just feels like time is speeding up. I've never bought into the idea that a giant planet hidden somewhere in the solar system will smash into earth or aliens from the center of the planet or a host of other off-the-wall predictions.

But there is an awakening in some people that I have noticed.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

reply to post by seabag

So you've been told the date for the rapture?

We was told the date once before and look at how that turned out.

Okay that made me crack up

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

reply to post by omnihue

It's odd, though, isn't it, that some of the hopes they cling to are so pessimistic.
Not much comfort in the idea of "pole shift" and catastrophic flooding.

Not really.

There are a lot of people out there that either hate their lives or are bored with it. They want something different and what they think is "exciting" to happen.

Even with many natural disasters that happen (and have happened, and will always happen), or some terrorist attack somewhere, or another war happening, for many it may or may not affect them. They still get up when the alarm goes off, get dressed, go to work, earn their paycheck, come home, eat dinner and then go to bed.

As humans we tend to fantasize, day dream or imagine how things would be different. We tend to romanticise too what we day dream or imagine, many times not realizing the horrors a natural disaster or a war would bring to our daily lives.

Just ask those that have lived through one. They tend to day dream about having a normal, non-exciting life.

All you have to do is look:

1) How many out there play online games where they live in a different world? There are those that play games where you're the hero, defeating the evil orcs and dragons, saving the day. Or running around playing solder in a virtual world in a war. Or commanding a starship, saving the galaxy.........and there are even games that simulate real life itself, no fantasy, no SciFi, (sort of like Second Life).

2) The movies, TV shows and books we read. It's entertainment, but many use these to escape their lives that they are actually living for a while.

Does this make people that wish for something like a crustal pole shift to happen crazy? Are people who hope that Nibiru is real and will pass by the Earth for real crazy?

Well, I'm not an expert on that, but in my humble opinion, they wish these things because they just want change.....many say they wish it, but don't really think it would happen at all.

But again, those that have actually lived through some horrible disaster or war, will tell you the same thing:

All you crave afterwards is that nice quite life you were living before hand.

Very, very true - you've hit the nail on the head!

I can (sadly) relate to everything you've written in your post - and so can many others. For two years (before uni), I actually got out of such mindsets and was set free and was briefly set apart from "the people" and took control of my life. Then uni came along and I was caught up with the herd and herd thinking. I hope to break away from it again soon...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Skepticism does not mean to assert that a thing is untrue. Skepticism is to refrain from making assertions or assumptions without evidence. Therefore, since one cannot predict the future, a skeptic cannot and would not assert that "nothing will happen," because that is not a rigorous or skeptically sound statement.

A skeptic can say, "I see no proof that _________ will happen on the prescribed date." They can also say, "It seems improbable that anything will happen on the prescribed date." A skeptic can also remind people of the enormous wealth of failed predictions, prophecies, and promises made on ATS and elsewhere over the years - and for decade upon decade prior - and point out that the trend holding would indeed mean that nothing would happen.

But only a pseudo-skeptic would actually say, "Nothing will happen, because it's all BS." As a skeptic myself, I cannot know with certainty that nothing will happen. I can doubt that it will, but I cannot know.

So please don't frame skeptics as the mean old scientists in movies who dash the dreams of the idealistic believer protagonists. That isn't what skepticism is. In fact, skepticism is an incredibly open minded philosophical position to take. It is open to all possibilities for which precluding proof does not exist, technically.
edit on 9/23/2012 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rabzdguy
If you haven't noticed this current system is f*king flawed beyond belief..
And this is why things are going to happen..

Your reasoning is;
"Something desperately needs to happen.
Therefore it will happen".
I'm afraid in real life that logic does not work.
Things that we really need to happen sometimes don't come round at all.

There is 12 Numbers on the clock on time for a reason..
Dont say you werent warned..ITS on the clock for god sake...

If that's pointing to anything, it must be pointing to 2112 (i.e. "12" doubled), not 2012.
You're a hundred years too early in your expectations.

edit on 23-9-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by semperlux

So your choice is the "Awakening" option.
But my main point still stands, that if your version of the expectation is the correct one, then the others must be wrong (and vice-versa).

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
Skepticism does not mean to assert that a thing is untrue. Skepticism is to refrain from making assertions or assumptions without evidence. Therefore, since one cannot predict the future, a skeptic cannot and would not assert that "nothing will happen," because that is not a rigorous or skeptically sound statement.

That you for that contribution, which chimes in with my own opening paragraphs warning sceptics against over-stating their case.
That was my first point, that the over-simplified statement needs to be qualified.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

reply to post by RealSpoke

So the following day's newspapers will be completely blank, then?
No stories to report?
I think you're responding to the title; try reading at least the opening paragraph.

• None of the ancient predictions will come true this year.
  • None of the "ascension into the 5th dimension" predictions will come true this year.
  • None of the global catastrophe predictions that are associated with planetary alignments promoted by modern cosmology theorists will come true this year.
  • Jesus Christ won't come back to Earth in glory and majesty in any material form whatsoever, riding a cloud, a chariot, a spaceship or a witch's broom this year.
  • No planets will be curbing up next to our planet for any reason at all this year.

I hope that I'm not overlooking any other significant expectations here, but I'm trying to be specific enough about my agreement with RealSpoke that nothing will happen that has been predicted to happen.

What will happen is that a lot of the paperbacks that were bought in the last several years that gushed about the transcendence awaiting us all this year will be tossed into the trash. I predict a steep fall in speaking fees for many of those authors too. Don't hold me to those predictions though. I'm not psychic.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
  • None of the ancient predictions will come true this year.
  • None of the "ascension into the 5th dimension" predictions will come true this year.
  • None of the global catastrophe predictions that are associated with planetary alignments promoted by modern cosmology theorists will come true this year.
  • Jesus Christ won't come back to Earth in glory and majesty in any material form whatsoever, riding a cloud, a chariot, a spaceship or a witch's broom this year.
  • No planets will be curbing up next to our planet for any reason at all this year.

I agree with you.
This is the qualified version of "nothing will be happening" that I was recommending in my opening paragraphs.
Oh, and a lot of "2012" believers will be left with egg on their face.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
... a huge pile of pancakes colliding with our planet.. none of it. ...

but I like pancakes.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rabzdguy

There is 12 Numbers on the clock on time for a reason..

Dont say you werent warned..ITS on the clock for god sake...

We still use the numbering system of the Sumerians, and that's why there are 12 numbers on the clock. Their numbering system was a base 60 system, with 6 and 10 as sub-base numbers.

There are 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour and 12 hours in a day because the Sumerians - by way of the Babylonians - heavily influenced the Old Testament scriptures and the US was heavily influenced by bible-beaters when the weights and measures standards were established. Same with the 12 inch foot and 36 inch yard. All based on a base 60 numbering system that has been obsolete since modern technology emerged based on a base 10 number system.

Oh, and the Sumerians introduced a 360 day year (diced up into 12 [6x2] months, even when 13 moon cycles actually exist each year), with an added 5 days for the gods to relax and party. Seriously. It's been that 365 day year ever since.

Not as enchanting as thinking that the number 12 is a prediction of the 2012 thingy, but a lot more researched and validated.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
(CNN) -- A powerful 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck near Mexico's Baja peninsula Tuesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The quake's epicenter was 47 miles (75 km) north of La Paz, Mexico, USGS said.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Ronnie6657

Is this being given as an example of something happening?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PW229
Nothing will happen.

Although the 22nd on ATS is going to be a giggle.

Oh yeah, nothing will happen.

"No guys, the event starts at 12/21/12! The doomsday is one year later!"-- Everyone who believes in 2012 will say something along these lines. Some will say they are wrong, most will keep playing around, waiting for the doomsday.

I can’t wait for that day, the internet will be funny as hell

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Please don't tell me what not to say. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

It was advice, not instruction.
Read through the first four paragraphs (this is advice, again), and you will realise why it was sound advice.
Read through the rest, and you might find yourself agreeing with me.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This thread has now been supplemented by the more recent thread;
"The day has arrived" syndrome

Taking the two threads together, it should be more clear that my stance is one critical of the "2012" belief-system.

I realise now that I should have gone straight into the basic theme of this thread, viz;
That the overall "2012" expectation is so varied and full of mutual contradiction that it cannot possibly be fulfilled in its entirety.
The fulfilment of one-tenth of it would rule out the rest.
Therefore, whatever happens, most of the expectation is going to be proved wrong.

edit on 25-11-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
OK, so now there's a week to go, and I still hear that a few Christians are getting caught up in this excitement.
I hope that it's only a few.
It's a completely different religion, guys- non-Biblical sources, non-Biblical expectations.
If you're a Christian, you ought to be steering clear of it.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
OK, just to re-cap, now that we are on the "eve" of the expected day.
The opening part of the OP was a slightly misleading teaser, which I now recognise as a tactical mistake.
However, It does make what I think is a valid distinction between the "somethings" which would be extraordinary world-ending or world-changing events beyond human control, and the"somethings" which are more ordinary events, well within human power.
Those who say "nothing will happen" really mean the first kind.
I agree with them, and i was simply warning them that they would be answered by people bringing up the second kind of event.

The real substance of the OP was the second part.
I pointed out that the whole "2012" movement is a coalition of incompatible belief syatems.
This means that even if "something" does happen, the "2012" movement as a whole will not be proved right-
Because whatever happens, 90% of the movement will have been expecting something else!
As I put it at the end, the options are that the movement will be 100% wrong or only 90% wrong.
My money is still on 100%.
edit on 20-12-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join