Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

2012; Don't say "Nothing will happen"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
These remarks are addressed (in the first instance) to those who claim that “nothing will happen at the end of 2012”.
I have every sympathy with what you’re trying to say.
But the expression is too strong, and it’s not quite what you mean.

If we include the events that are caused by human agency, we can find “something happening” in the story of most years, and it’s very unlikely that this year will be an exception.
Predictions have been made about specific years in the past. Some enthusiasts were expecting Christ to return in 1666, and others were expecting him in 1914. Those expectations were not fulfilled, but one was the year of the Great Fire of London, and the other was the beginning of the First World War So nobody could have said that “nothing happened” in those years.
In this case, if nothing else happens, there’s always the possibility of self-fulfilling prophecy, some event stimulated by the expectation of something happening.

That isn’t what you mean, of course.
You’re not talking about events caused by human agency. You’re talking about predicted events beyond human control, such as aliens revealing themselves, or a mass “ascension”, or the arrival of the planet Nibiru, or whatever is supposed to happen at the expiry of the “Timewave”.
What you mean is that you’re not expecting any of these predicted events
In which case it would be advisable to say so, to make that qualification, to avoid inviting this kind of retort.

Your scepticism will have been vindicated if “nothing” happens in this more limited sense.
Your scepticism will have been proved wrong, on the other hand, if one of the predicted events does happen.

But if one of the predicted events did take place, would that mean that the believers in “2012” had been proved right?
No, that conclusion does not follow at all.
They cannot make that claim, because the speculations around “2012” contain so many varied and contradictory elements that it simply isn’t possible for all of them to be fulfilled.
Therefore if “something” did happen, whatever it might be, this would not mean the vindication of the “2012” movement in general.
Those who were expecting that particular event would be vindicated, but the rest of the movement, who were expecting something completely different, would be in the same boat as the complete sceptics; they would have got it wrong.

This comes about because the “2012” movement is not a single belief system, but a coalition of different belief systems, choosing to fix their attention on the same date.
So the content of the overall expectation, that “something” will be happening at the end of the year, is coming from many different sources.
People are quoting Mayan calendars and Hopi prophecies and Sumerian texts; more modern authors are coming up with calculations and speculations about pole shifts and earth movements through the galaxy and the whole “Timewave Zero” hypothesis.

The believers try to make a virtue out of this multiplicity- “So many cultures are predicting apocalyptic events of some kind for this time, that it adds up to overwhelming evidence”.
The problem is that all these contributors are saying different things.
In a court case, it would not be enough to summon a crowd of witnesses. You need the testimony of witnesses who can agree with each other
If one witness says the victim was killed by Colonel Mustard in the conservatory with a dagger, a second that he was killed by Miss Scarlet in the kitchen with a candlestick, and a third reports that it was Professor Plum in the study with a revolver, nobody is going to be impressed by the fact that they have managed to agree on the date of the murder.

So it is with the case presented by the “2012” movement, concerning what might be happening on or near the twenty-first of December
One line of expectation hopes to see friendly aliens . Another predicts the ominous arrival of a baleful planet. Another is hoping that suitable qualified souls will be able to “ascend” to a different dimension.
Not only do the witnesses give different reasons why the date is going to be significant, they cannot even agree among themselves about whether the outcome is expected to be good or bad.

Clearly we cannot be both saved and destroyed at the end of the year.
And we certainly cannot be saved or destroyed in all the different ways that have been put forward.
So the net result is that the fulfilment of any one of these theories will automatically disprove the others.
If the “2012” movement, taken as a whole, is offering up to ten incompatible theories about what will be happening in December, only one of them (at the most) can be proved right.
That’s ten per cent.

Therefore the twenty-first of December cannot possibly, by logical necessity, be a day when the whole of the “2012” movement will be vindicated in its predictions.
Instead, it will be a day of decision which tells the rest of us whether the movement was 100% wrong………….. or only 90 %.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Nothing will happen........

I guarantee it.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

So the following day's newspapers will be completely blank, then?
No stories to report?
I think you're responding to the title; try reading at least the opening paragraph.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE:

Anything could happen.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Therefore the twenty-first of December cannot possibly, by logical necessity, be a day when the whole of the “2012” movement will be vindicated in its predictions.
Instead, it will be a day of decision which tells the rest of us whether the movement was 100% wrong………….. or only 90 %.

I'm going with 100% wrong.

Nothing happening is nothing happening. Anything that does happen fits in line with thousands of years of our sordid history. There are good times and there are bad but predictions calling for anything short of the Earth exploding are not out of the ordinary predictions, no different than saying it's going to rain this year....
edit on 21-9-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think I vote the same way.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Nothing will happen........

I guarantee it.

Mood: Escapism

You don't say....

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloro

Not quite anything.
I think we can guarantee that an irresistable force will not have an encounter with an immovable object.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

You're probably right. It's probably going to be a resistable force and a movable object, if anything.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I can imagine so many people being dissapointed if nothing happens on the 21st, even so committing suicides. I can see the psychological programming. My advice, don't have expectations. Sit on the fence next to me and have a cold one, watch the fireworks before the event.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex
I can imagine so many people being dissapointed if nothing happens on the 21st, even so committing suicides. I can see the psychological programming. My advice, don't have expectations. Sit on the fence next to me and have a cold one, watch the fireworks before the event.

Pretty much, good advice.

Alright, I'm done semi-trolling lol.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Nothing extraordinary will occur - no killer planets, false flag alien invasions, pole shifts, a huge pile of pancakes colliding with our planet.. none of it. This is just yet another "hope" that something will by bored people who are having difficulty managing the mundane, boring planet they live on.

Don't fret though... a story will surface that will "prove" that the date was "off" by probably a few years, and it will all start up again. Just jump off this silly boat while you have the chance. Fearing a day won't make your life any fuller. Ask yourself how many of these amazing predictions to-date have actually come true.

link   
reply to post by PurpleVortex

I'm always a little puzzled by the expectation of suicides.
When so many predictions are about bad things, why would people be disappointed if they don't come true?

link   
Nothing will happen.

Although the 22nd on ATS is going to be a giggle.

Oh yeah, nothing will happen.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

That sounds like a fair assessment.
"Jumping off the boat" looks like being sensible advice.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

Not quite nothing.
There will be a number of sporting events, for a start, and perhaps a few traffic jams in major cities.
And it will probably rain at various points around the globe, where it isn't snowing.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Regardless of spiritual or historical preference; there are numerous of end of days scenarios and timeframes
TPTB also know something we don't, what you don't know
They told us; WE JUST HAVEN'T TOLD YOU YET!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

Nothing will happen.

Although the 22nd on ATS is going to be a giggle.

Oh yeah, nothing will happen.

I wish I could login to ATS on the 22nd but I will have already been raptured!

It’s a shame I’ll miss it.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iWontGiveUP; WE JUST HAVEN'T TOLD YOU YET!

Who is apeaking here?
Do you mean that this is what TPTB are saying, or are you the spokesman for somebody else?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So you've been told the date for the rapture?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join