It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012; Don't say "Nothing will happen"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
the mundane, boring planet they live on.

Are you sure your on the same planet, or do you just not get out much?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

My point was that if you don't define the meaning more explicitly, you make yourself vulnerable to other people being pedantic."Nothing will happen" is the kind of broad claim which could be refuted by a small earthquake in Chile. Define what you mean more clearly, and it's easier to demonstrate that you were right
(Incidentally, financial collapse and world war are events which are easily produced by human action. In fact they've both happened before. So denying the possibility of those events really is being foolhardy.)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

So the following day's newspapers will be completely blank, then? No stories to report?

News papers being blank doesn't happen at any time. That has nothing to do with 2012. Your logic is badly flawed. 2012 is not about "anything" it is about the myriad number of claims made by it's adherents. SO simply read up on 2012. If those things don't happen then its all a bunch of hogwash.

You mentioned people thought Christ was coming the same year London had a fire. Your comparing the two? What kind of weird ass logic is that?

I can make your kind of predictions. Tomorrow in Paris, someone will die in a motor vehicle accident, someone in New York will have a heart attack. See how easy it is? Not a very extraordinary claim so, it doesn't require extraordinary evidence. Nor does it seem in the least bit unlikely that these events will come to pass.
When you make a claim that is extraordinary, a very specific extraordinary claim, then you need to be judged to a much higher standard.

Now that the time is close and the world hasn't fallen to # as predicted in threads last year about this time frame. The 2012 adherents are now going to try to hedge their bets, to lesson the fallout when their dogma is proven to be based on whimsy and hope. I won't let you and i suppose many others won't either. This site is about denying ignorance, not fostering it.

V

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Watch it turn out that there is going to be something dramatic on December 21, 2013 or something, and TPTB knew there was chance of someone finding out. So they created this whole 2012 propaganda to ensure that if that info ever did come out, then nobody would believe that person. Or maybe I overestimate their abilities.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Variable
The 2012 adherents are now going to try to hedge their bets, to lesson the fallout when their dogma is proven to be based on whimsy and hope. I won't let you and i suppose many others won't either. This site is about denying ignorance, not fostering it.

You haven't actually read the second half of the post, where I take exactly the same line that you're taking.
I agree with you that the "2012" expectation is absurd, and that is where the opening post is heading after the first three paragraphs.
Try reading it all again- the approach is more subtle than you realised.
I open by addressing the sceptics "(in the first instance)", and then turn round to address the believers. You will enjoy the second part once you understand what's happening.
edit on 22-9-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

2012 is not about "anything" it is about the myriad number of claims made by it's adherents. SO simply read up on 2012. If those things don't happen then its all a bunch of hogwash

I spend nearly the whole of the opening post saying exactly what you've just said.
I agree with you, you dope!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by PurpleVortex

I'm always a little puzzled by the expectation of suicides.
When so many predictions are about bad things, why would people be disappointed if they don't come true?

i agree...i think something fantastically wonderful will happen on that day. i will be having a hot toddy, looking at my xmas tree, while being warmed by my fireplace...my only regret is that there are going to be too many people in america not as lucky as i have been, to enjoy these simple comforts.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ronnie6657
Does anybody know what the full text is of the item that the Tulane University archaeology team found in June 2012? www.nola.com...
edit on 21-9-2012 by Ronnie6657 because: (no reason given)

That linked website says that the text describes the tour of a seventh-century Mayan king around the Mayan cities (in order to prove that he was still alive).

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Instead, it will be a day of decision which tells the rest of us whether the movement was 100% wrong………….. or only 90 %.

This is your hedge. If the world doesn't end as we know it, the theories are wrong. You cant say we had 90% of the end of the world. You can't be a fraction of dead. Bringing up fires in London as a possible justification for Christians believing Jesus was coming was where your you started off track. I think your logic is flawed. Whatever your actual beliefs are. Our planet always has crazy # happening, its a complicated place filled with unpredictable beings and a mother nature with a penchant for destruction. 2012 adherents are talking about GLOBAL catastrophes, not an avalanche of mud in Chile for instance.

V

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
An earth shattering event will happen... There will be world wide 2012 parties heralding the end of the world, and record breaking profits for the wine, spirits and beer industries. It will lower the consciousness of the entire world because of the over indulgence of alcohol. The aliens will turn back and go home realizing the population on earth is nothing but a bunch of crazy drunks. The world will enter 2012 with a massive hangover and the people of the world will be bummed because the Mayans were wrong.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Variable

You are mistakenly lumping me with the "2012" believers.
I am a "2012" sceptic making sarcastic comments at the expense of "2012" believers.
For heaven's sake, get it into your head that we're on the same side here! Good grief!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Instead, it will be a day of decision which tells the rest of us whether the movement was 100% wrong………….. or only 90 %.

This is not a "hedge" at all.
This is me telling the "2012" believers that they cannot possibly be right, and if you "got" what was happening in this thread you would agree with it.
I distinguish between "2012 believers" and "the rest of us". Doesn't that tell you something?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by RealSpoke

So the following day's newspapers will be completely blank, then?
No stories to report?
I think you're responding to the title; try reading at least the opening paragraph.

Get real, you know what he means. Whats the point of your thread? That nothing will happen that day or that the happenings of that day will be ordinary every day goings on and nothing of the esoteric kind will happen? I think it will just be another day with ordinary occurances happening in ordinary places by ordinary people.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

I agree with you.
The point of the thread is that the "2012" movement is offering so many contradictory predictions that they cancel each pther out.
It is essentially a "2012 sceptic" thread, but it was designed to take the believers "by surprise", as it were, and I wasn't bargaining on the possibility that so many fellow-sceptics would fail to realise what was going on.
Obviously I've been too subtle for my own good.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
you know what will happen? The sun will rise. The earth will turn. People will live and will die. Wars will be fought.Wars will be lost. A teacher will teach a useless child something. A terrorist will kill someone. NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY WILL HAPPEN.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

Agreed, and there will probably also be snow, and traffic jams, and football matches.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Been through the 'end of the world' bit all to many times in the past few decades.
I really don't think it will be more than ano.ther Y2K

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

The only difference this time is that so many different groups, with belief systems which are really incompatible, have jumped on the band-wagon. That's what i was trying to focus on.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Anyway, nothing seems to be happening yet about the You-tube prediction for today which Viking43 discovered.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I think this is symptomatic of the society we have become.
Our leaders, or should I say keepers, have let the human soul suffer for eons of time.
A human soul in suffering will clutch for reasons, for comfort, and for salvation.
We have been given all a soul to caretake for. Until what happens happens.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join